Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre choice 888 or 048
adithorp

posted on 30/4/13 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre choice 888 or 048

Need some advice from those who've used both...

I've always run Toyo 888's but given they've been going up in price every year, I'm wondering whether to swap to Yoko' 048's. I've been happy with the 888's but wonder what difference the softer side-walled 048 would make. It's still going to set me back almost £70 more for a set of the 048's but I'm wondering whether to try them anyway.

So should I try them?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

puma931

posted on 30/4/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Please do, as I would love to know which one offers more grip.

[Edited on 30/4/13 by puma931]

JimSpencer

posted on 30/4/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Did back to back testing with 888's 048's and Avon ZZR's - all in the softest compound a couple of years ago.

Found the 048's slightly quicker than the 888's but not as durable, managed to cook them after a few hard runs round Curborough, blue'd the edges nicley..

However the Avon's were quicker than both, and felt nicer to drive, and wore better than both too.

I think the ZZR is probably a track construction tyre that is road legal, where I think the 888's & 048's are a tyre constructed for road use but supplied in a track compound - but I could well be wrong - but that's how they came across to me.

Saying all that, this was on a Striker Mk3 (outboard front suspension and a live axle) and may well be just what suited the car, but I doubt it.

adithorp

posted on 30/4/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
These would have to be in the medium compound as they have to survive a 3000mile euro trip. The new engine might have something to say about that though. Last week I was wondering whether the current 1/2worn tyres had enough tread to survive France; After last Sundays track day the rears are now bald!

daniel mason

posted on 30/4/13 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
kumho v70/700 are also a very very good tyre and in the limited driving ive done i found them better than the others mentioned!

adithorp

posted on 30/4/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry but the question is, 888 or 048.

I need 185/60/13 and 205/60/13 so they have to be available in those sizes; So please, no digretion onto stuff that isn't (and no I don't want 021's.

jeffw

posted on 30/4/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
R888 GG

PAUL FISHER

posted on 30/4/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
R888's used to be around half the price of AO48's a few years ago, so price wise were a good option, but now there's hardly any difference in price. I would go for the A048's, Ive used both on track, and would go A048's every time, the R888's tended to over heat on the rears after 2 or 3 hard laps, I never had that problem with the A048's, and found the A048's lasted just aswell as the R888's in medium compound
adithorp

posted on 30/4/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still looking at 888's at 75% of the price of the a048's though.

rdodger

posted on 30/4/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adi

I know Rob went from 888's on his Caterham to the A048's for Zolder last year. I seem to remember he only got them as 888's were in short supply at the time. He liked them more than the 888's and his lap times were faster too.

They lasted well too. He is always a contender for most laps of the weekend so must have done 6 hours on track on the Saturday about half that Sunday due to heavy rain. No complaints of them going off despite some committed driving!

40inches

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Hi Adi

I know Rob went from 888's on his Caterham to the A048's for Zolder last year. I seem to remember he only got them as 888's were in short supply at the time. He liked them more than the 888's and his lap times were faster too.

They lasted well too. He is always a contender for most laps of the weekend so must have done 6 hours on track on the Saturday about half that Sunday due to heavy rain. No complaints of them going off despite some committed driving!

How much tread was left? Will be changing my 10 year old Khumos next month.

welderman

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
i would like to kinow how you get on too mr Ady

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Paul Turner

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

and no I don't want 021's.

Why not. I happily used 021's for many years but about 5 years ago they were unavailable when I need a set fast. Bought 048's and hated them. They gripped fine on a dry road but in the wet the car never felt really sure, not dangerous but nervous. But they followed the camber at every opportunity and any road imperfections made the car deviate from the chosen direction instantly, made for very tiring journeys, the set up of the car is fine. About 3 years ago a chap on the Caterham forum needed a set of 048's, 021's were available thuis we did a deal. He was happy and I was delighted to be back on 021's, nice to have my old car back again.

048's, never again. After 25's of Sevens they are the only tyre I have tried that I would say that about.

adithorp

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
quote:

Why not.

They're only available in soft for one thing. With full tread that'd last me about 1/2 day on track (and after about 10mins on each session I'd have overheated them) and about the same in the Alps... I could go slow I suppose, but whats the point in that.

adithorp

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
i would like to kinow how you get on too mr Ady

Think I've worked out how to fund the 048's. If I charge everyone who wants to know the difference a fiver for the info...

silky16v

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
where is everyone getting there tyres from?

camskill obviously can't get R888 anymore

loggyboy

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ive never had 888s, and I cant remember if I had 48s or 32s on my Nova, but either way they gave me enough grip to get it on 2 wheels

Mistral Motorsport

Paul Turner

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
quote:

Why not.

They're only available in soft for one thing. With full tread that'd last me about 1/2 day on track (and after about 10mins on each session I'd have overheated them) and about the same in the Alps... I could go slow I suppose, but whats the point in that.

The 021 compound is actually more akin to 048 medium than soft.

Using them on a dry track day would probably wipe them out but if you get them overheating on public roads you must be driving like an absolute idiot.

I get about 10,000 road miles out of a set driving fast but sensibly. Not many cars overtake me while I am out on non-motorway roads.

scootz

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I rate the Yoko's over the Toyo's.

It's Evolution Baby!

welderman

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I rate the Yoko's over the Toyo's.

so did John Lennon, until he got shot.

Ady, think theres only one way to find out and thats

fight
fight

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

hobbsy

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I heard the A048's had a *stiffer* sidewall than the R888's and in terms of construction are more akin to being a race construction tyre rather than the R888's which is a road construction but with a semi slick pattern.

I am only repeating what I think Matt at Procomp told me!

I am on the same trip and am contemplating A048's, the current set I have are soft compound though and not full tread so I'm not sure they will last the 3000 mile distance.

I've run R888's and CR500's previously. The CR500's have lasted surprisingly well (2 tours) but won't last a 3rd! They had maybe 75% of the grip of the R888's but better in the wet and more durable. Only went for them as I got a good deal on them though, not sure they are worth it if paying full whack.

adithorp

posted on 1/5/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I understood it was the other way around with the sidewall. The 888 certainly feels very stiff when mounting it. I've had a feel at an old 048 in the back of my store and it felt softer (though there was a lot of junk in the way so could only just reach it. I'll have to drag it outand have a proper look.

I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be on bald tyres during that wet run back to Calaise last year. Are you sure about using the old ones?

[Edited on 1/5/13 by adithorp]

hobbsy

posted on 1/5/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Adi,

I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I have another option which is a different set of 13 inch wheels I've bought with cr500's on but they are 175/55 from memory so narrower still and smaller total diameter. Not seen them in the flesh yet. It's either that or put my hand in my pocket for a new set of 13 or 15 inch rubber. If 13's would be 185/60 and if 15's would be 195 and either 45 or 50 profile. My car is set up for equal sized tyres all round and won't have time to change it. Although a bit more width on the back would be handy for some of those hairpins. If you're running 205 and I'm on 175 that's a bit of a difference!

adithorp

posted on 1/5/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
...Although a bit more width on the back would be handy for some of those hairpins. If you're running 205 and I'm on 175 that's a bit of a difference!

If the track day was anything to go by I'm going to need it.

I'd looked at the tyres and was thinking they might just do (about half worn). The doubts were... (a) Last year was easy on tyres after Jim lost his bottle so thats why there was so much left. I can't see that happening again. (b) I really don't fancy northern France in the rain on slicks.
Then last week stripped them to past the wear markers (and I didn't do a lot of running). That kind of settled it!

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 4/5/13 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
iv actually got both A048's on the rear and 888's on the front - tbh - neither is better - seem identical but the yoko has what looks like marginal better grooves so in wet weather...

you may want to look at avon cr500 designed for caterhams - roll in at about £126 but if they last longer? i dunno will they? stig used em for the caterham fast laps on TG. so cant be that bad, heard lots of good feedback from them - they are my next choice anyway.. give em a go and find out. get them from either caterham [got none in] or avon direct.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.