Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suzuki GSXR 1000 sump - are they interchangeable?
carse

posted on 5/5/13 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Suzuki GSXR 1000 sump - are they interchangeable?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the sumps on the GSXR 1000 are interchangeable between years?

From the research I've done I think any years from K1 to K6 will fit the K4 engine I have.

Just wondering if anyone could give me any confirmation?

Thanks,

Carse

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/5/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
K1 to K6 are entirely interchangeable, no problem. If it helps, a K1 to K3 GSXR750 sump will also fit, it's the identical part.

Now, you can fit the later GSXR1000 sumps too! The K7 to K8 sumps have the sump well to one side (allowing the exhaust to pass under the sump neatly). These sumps are actually better for the car application in my mind (ignore me, more knowledgeable people will be along soon), the well is not just offset, it's deeper. Simply chop however much you dare off the bottom of it, weld a plate and you get a vertically semi-baffled sump. You will, however need the pick-up pipe from the later engine. The relief valve goes *up* into the crankcase, not down as in the earlier engines, but the feed is mantained in the same place by a short link pipe, all part of the K7-8 sump. The result has worked well on a slick shod track car.

If you chop any of the sumps though, beware of the metal quality when welding. It's shite, slag just boils to the surface, really impure stuff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.