Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis number
AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis number

Got a letter from DVLA today with my chassis number. Only problem now is I have to send off my IVA application......

Feeling a tad nervous already!

jps

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Got a letter from DVLA today with my chassis number. Only problem now is I have to send off my IVA application......

Feeling a tad nervous already!

How come you have you got as far as being able to apply for IVA test without having permanently attached the VIN to the chassis somewhere?

My understanding is that the VIN needs to be an indeilble part of the chassis somewhere - hence I've already got a VIN even though I haven't finished welding my chassis together. I'll be getting it etched to a piece of steel and welded onto a chassis rail somewhere before I even get the chassis painted...

Am I doing this at an unusually early stage?!

AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Because I will add the vin number to the application, then stamp it onto a plate and weld that to my chassis.
loggyboy

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
You need the vin stamped at IvA, not whem you apply for your appointment, you just need the vin itself that you plan to use

Mistral Motorsport

jps

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Because I will add the vin number to the application, then stamp it onto a plate and weld that to my chassis.

Hmmm... If you are already ready to IVA the car doesn't that mean you've painted the chassis though? so you'll need to grind paint off somewhere / weld / repaint it?

I'm not criticising - just wondering why you'd go about it that way round, rather than just doing it when the chassis is first being put together?

AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
One crossmember in engine bay with a liitle bit of paint missing ready to have the number welded on is no big issue. I think you may be looking at it in too fine a detail!!

Neither way is right or wrong, just down to personal preference!!

Also there was some one who applied for a chassis number then had dvla question why the car had not been registered, might depend on the time it takes to build. I was in no rush hence its just been 3 years now, but some want to build in a few months.

[Edited on 10/5/13 by AndyW]

40inches

posted on 10/5/13 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
No need to stamp it, I made a template on Word, stuck the paper to the chassis and engraved the number through the paper, and the paint. Coat of lacquer. Job done.
Description
Description

jps

posted on 10/5/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
One crossmember in engine bay with a liitle bit of paint missing ready to have the number welded on is no big issue. I think you may be looking at it in too fine a detail!!

Neither way is right or wrong, just down to personal preference!!

Also there was some one who applied for a chassis number then had dvla question why the car had not been registered, might depend on the time it takes to build. I was in no rush hence its just been 3 years now, but some want to build in a few months.

[Edited on 10/5/13 by AndyW]

yeah, reckon you are right there, too much thinking about fine detail does slow me down a lot!!

good luck for the test

plantman

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
i did exactly that just about finished then got my vin and welded it onto my chassis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.