Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone own a static home ?
Jon Ison

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone own a static home ?

Like to pick your brains, thinking of buying one.
Peteff

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Our house has never moved in all the 29 years we've been here Jon One of my friends lives in a chalet type on a caravan park near here. The ground rent is a couple of hundred quid a month and he has to maintain the property to a high standard with the park owner saying who can do the work. It's not a cheap option usually.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry wasn't very clear, one on the coast them oversized caravan things, just like to hear the real life experience before we go look see.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/5/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
My mother in law and brother in law live in them currently. All year round.

What do you want to know?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

IanG1

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
We had one in the family for a few years, costs were the reason we gave it up and you loose big money when you come to sell.
You have to factor in ground rent,insurance,gas electric water costs which came to about £2.5K a year. Plus fuel to get there the list goes on. Give me a shout if you want to know owt specific
Cheers
Ian

mookaloid

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Be very careful - There are some real horror stories about the contracts for these things.

As above the costs can mount up, but the contracts can be very one sided. They can specify where you have to buy the caravan from (the owner of the park usually) when you have to buy one (when the owner of the park thinks yours is too old), who you can sell to if you want out of the contract ( the owner can block any deal that you may want to do) etc etc.

have a good google there's sure to be loads of stuff on the 'net but it is a complete mine field.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Slimy38

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
when you have to buy one (when the owner of the park thinks yours is too old),

I noticed that particular one when we were on our caravan holiday last week. The caravan being let had to be younger than five years old. Which to my untrained eye meant that you have to recoup the cost of the caravan, and relevant charges, all within five years. And if they consider a 5 year old caravan to be 'unworthy', that would suggest it's resale value would be only slightly higher than scrap value.

We have holidayed in them at least twice a year for the last ten years (they're fantastic with young kids, especially one on a Haven park or similar), but I don't think I could consider buying one.

steve m

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
"My mother in law and brother in law live in them currently. All year round. "

what together?? nice family tree that would be !

[Edited on 10/5/13 by steve m]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
"My mother in law and brother in law live in them currently. All year round. "

what together?? nice family tree that would be !

[Edited on 10/5/13 by steve m]

No next to each other, but i'm not sure i see what your comment has to do with this thread or to help Jon.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

JoelP

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
My parents had one, it was a massive waste of money. Expensive to buy initially, had to be sold a few years later when it became too old, was worth nosh all by then, the bills were high, and a replacement would have been expensive again.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for knocking some sense into my thick head.

Looking at buying another tourer (I know) hoping to plonk it on a site for 6-8weeks during the summer, have weekends there both me n swimbo come home for Monday our busiest day then maybe one of us go back with daughter n grandkids while other keeps buiness ticking over during school summer holiday, had this mad idea a static may be better, I knew it wasn't just needed telling so.

Anyone got a nice tourer for sale, must have fixed bed (swimbo rules) ?

nick205

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Father in law lives in one...total PITA.

Park owner is a total C U Next Tuesday, imposing rules and charges at will. FIL is too soft to deal with him so SWMBO and I have to fight his corner.

As above, great for holiday rents, but not to own.

steve m

posted on 10/5/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
"No next to each other, but i'm not sure i see what your comment has to do with this thread or to help Jon. "

Ive known Jon for about 14 years, so i doubt he would mind!

Steve

Dunbikin

posted on 11/5/13 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a static caravan in on the Norfolk coast. We used to have a tourer but got fed up with never being able to book sites at short notice ( all the decent sites were always full). We bought our static 6 years ago and it is still worth what we paid for it as they do hold their value. Our site fees are about £2000 P/A plus gas and electric, so its not cheap to keep. We try to get to the van every other weekend and the wife and kids have at least 5 full weeks a year up there, so it gets plenty of use. We are on a private site and when we come to sell we can either sell to the owners for about half what the van is worth or they can sell it for us for a 20% fee which isn't too bad. All in all, I think it is probably one of the best things we've ever bought, we love going up there.

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

bob

posted on 11/5/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I keep a large ish tourer on a camping park/farm in Dorset, never going to tow the thing so perfect for me.

It is in storage there for £6 a week and when i want to use it they tow out and pitch it (£12)and then its just my usage fees electricity and per person. Its a nice park... The Inside Park, Blandford Forum not everyones cup of tea but i like it.

Jon i know its wrong end of country but its an option and there must be the same offered in North.

I did look at a static but as said its a big waste of money if not using,as your paying for it all year.
Also sites want a big cut if you rent out, i wouldnt want scrotes sleeping in my bed no matter how much they payed.

[Edited on 11/5/13 by bob]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.