Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for a new project..
daveb666

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for a new project..

Hi, newbie here! (Did look for a newbie forum but couldn't find one!)

I've also searched for a lot of answers to my questions but as of yet still find answer lacking so I'm hoping you can help, please

Over the past 10 years I've tinkered with cars of all varieties from Integra Type Rs, to hill-climb 210bhp vauxhall corsas(xe on ITBs), astra turbos, a clio 172 and even an rs turbo van thing (bleurgh!).

I now find I have an itch for a catherham/westfield/locust/formula 27/tiger.... but have so many questions.

I've googled as to what the differences are between them all. The only re-sounding outcome seems to be that alot of people don't like the Robin Hood cars, and that they're an 'entry level' kit and are for 'sunday drives'. Is this true, my car will be used for weekend blasts and 5 or 6 track days a year.

If someone can point me in the direction of something that tells me the differences/pros/cons that would be awesome. All my searches seem to bring up Tigers/Formula 27 or some older westfields but I don't know what the benefits of each design are?

I'm looking to buy an already-built car, road-registered (fully working is great but one with a blown engine would be even better). I know xe's like the back of my hand so really want to have a car that will support an xe (and maybe a bike engine in later years?)

The majority of cars in my budget usually have a 2.0 pinto on carbs, but being used to very revvy, 180bhp+ engines over the past 10 years I'm worried it won't be quick enough; my last track car was a standard 172 clio but I regularly overtook kit-cars on the short straight at Blyton. What sort of power etc will a nicely tuned pinto put out?

My budget is fairly limited; a max of £4k - but in my favor I am prepared to travel anywhere in the UK to get the right car. I'll be going to the Newark show, with the hope of getting up close and personal and maybe grabbing a bargain if the right car is for sale.

Lastly, are there any meets around West Yorkshire where I could maybe turn up and have a chat with people to get some more info? I'm not one for jumping in with both feet without researching the best I can get for my money first so a chat with some experienced owners/builders would really help me out.

Sorry for the huge first post, but thankyou in advance for any help or advice given.

Regards

Dave

daniel mason

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
what about big wasas zetec locost?

davidinhull

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find a sylva striker mk2 , with a 1.6l twin cam fiat engine with twin 40 webbers and an arbarth gear box, circa 1991 build would be the best solution to your problem
Coincidently I have such a car available for £4k!

HowardB

posted on 13/5/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

+1 that would be an excellent place to start, and a bargain to boot!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

daveb666

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

+1 that would be an excellent place to start, and a bargain to boot!

Couldn't see that thread as I wasn't a contributor; now I am

I'll drop him a message.

martyn1137

posted on 13/5/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.