Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel bearings.....Movement?.
Jenko

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel bearings.....Movement?.

Had an interesting chat with a fellow J15 builder last night......

Seems we have both had a similar experience with standard ford wheel bearings in the J15 rear upright......

I had mine pressed in by our local garage....Everything seemed fine, but some months later (car not moved). I noticed play in the bearings on BOTH sides!......I assumed they were shot, but it seems like other builders have had the same thing. When the drive shaft is tightened up through the hub they appear to be solid with no play....Is this normal?.

opinions appreciated......

P.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

ChrisJ15

posted on 15/5/13 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Mine were fine when pressed in but I found my wheel studs were too short and when I gently tapped (honest ) them out I found I had a lot of play in the bearing. I didnt repeat the mistake on the other side.
Bought new bearing and was already to get new one in but found when driveshaft was tightened the play went away.

mark chandler

posted on 15/5/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming they are the same bearings as you find in sierra rear uprights then they are tapered bearings but are set by the ridge in the hub so you do not tighten to a low torque and back off just do them up hard, something like 150lb/ft

When first installed they will be tight, infact mine were binding but after a few miles they loosen up.

If the machined ridge was a little small then as the bearings wear in they will become loose so tighten up hard, when at 150lb/ft torque if they show play when done this tightly its time to discard.

[Edited on 15/5/13 by mark chandler]

Jenko

posted on 15/5/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
There are actually the bearings from a mk4 fiesta front upright.....Needed many tonnes of hydraulic pressure to get them in and the hub is straight not tapered......If that helps.

adithorp

posted on 15/5/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
Had an interesting chat with a fellow J15 builder last night......

Seems we have both had a similar experience with standard ford wheel bearings in the J15 rear upright......

I had mine pressed in by our local garage....Everything seemed fine, but some months later (car not moved). I noticed play in the bearings on BOTH sides!......I assumed they were shot, but it seems like other builders have had the same thing. When the drive shaft is tightened up through the hub they appear to be solid with no play....Is this normal?.

opinions appreciated......

P.

Are you saying you have play when the drive shaft isn't tight? If so, that normal for a fixed/cassett bearing. The shaft has to be tight.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Jenko

posted on 15/5/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly whats happening......there is play in the bearing while no drive shaft is inserted. So you can grab the hub amd move it, you can see the inner race move while the outer race is wedged solid on the upright....

This sounds promising.....so you think you always see play?.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/5/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
These bearings use the driveshaft to take the play out of them ,dont leave the car on the floor on the hubs if the driveshafts arent tightened up as it will damage the bearings...
Jenko

posted on 15/5/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
HA.....Bad news is I just ( i.e. last week), wasted 30 quid on a new set of bearings....Good news is, I've not fitted them yet.

Imagine my disspleasure if I were to put some new ones in only to find them 'knackered'.....

Message for Chris.....I think we are in the clear :-)

Thanks all for your help.

Litemoth

posted on 15/5/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Without going into chapter and verse on fully, semi and 3/4 floating hub arrangements, suffice to say, YES, it is correct.

The hub nut pre-loads the two opposing tapered inner race/cage/roller assemblies by clamping the whole pack together. The inner race is completely loose before assembly (It is the outer race that is pressed in by the press) and it's only the seals that hold the bearings together before you clamp it all up.

The hub nuts should be wanged up (technical term) to the correct torque to ensure pre loading on the bearings. If this is done correctly, they shouldn't need re-wanging down the line. Lots of cheap and nasty bearings out there though.

[Edited on 15/5/13 by Litemoth]

ChrisJ15

posted on 15/5/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
"These bearings use the driveshaft to take the play out of them ,dont leave the car on the floor on the hubs if the driveshafts arent tightened up as it will damage the bearings..." - Possibly Not in my case Paul - Mines been sat on the floor without the driveshafts done up for ages!

[Edited on 15/5/13 by ChrisJ15]

ChrisJ15

posted on 15/5/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I remember one reason why I didnt do the driveshafts up.
The driveshafts on the original car (ST150) had some strange nuts made with multiple layers of metal with an integral washer.
The bearings I bought came with a more conventional K nut but no washer.
Wasnt sure if the the K nut simply did up with no washer?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.