Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Estimating cost of re-tiling a roof?
David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Estimating cost of re-tiling a roof?

Does anyone have a formula for estimating the cost of re-tiling a roof? I'm talking about an ordinary pitched roof with cement tiles - just a rough estimate is required, without extras like replacing woodwork, gutters, etc. Just a length x breadth x height sort of calculation would do.

The reason I ask is that a couple of my neighbours have had their roof done by one of those companies that pressure-wash the existing tiles then spray with some form of plastic gunk. Not that I'm thinking of having it done - just that these neighbours are the sort of people who brag about having stuff done and try to encourage me to do the same! This treatment isn't cheap, and I'm reasonably sure that you could get the roof re-tiled for not a lot more money. Also, the companies involved look significantly dodgy, and I would touch them with somebody else's barge pole!

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was hunting around some time ago and was getting prices in the region of 5-10K for the roof of my semi.

However someone local to me was quoted over 30K for re-roofing of the same size. I think it's best just to get a quote or 10.

If it were going to cost me more than 10K I'd just take some time off and do it myself.

[Edited on 20/5/13 by coyoteboy]

zilspeed

posted on 20/5/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
These prices are about 5 years out of date.

I used to regularly see roofs around 70m2 getting retiled for around £3,500 to £4,000.

That's a regular sort of price to see for retiling a roof up here.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks zilspeed - that's the sort of price guide I was expecting. I'd have to do a quick measuring job, just to confirm the area of my roof (same size as the neighbours' ).

The main reason I asked was that these people are doing these roofs at 'a special price' of over £4,000! If my roof ever starts to leak (not something I'm expecting just now, touch wood) I'd prefer to get the whole lot replaced, even if I have to pay a bit more than that. At least it would be good for another 45 years... and I doubt that the roof coating would last that long... especially as my next door neighbour had to call them back to fix the leak that he didn't have before they did their work...

[Edited on 20/5/13 by David Jenkins]

JoelP

posted on 20/5/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had a quote a few months back, 7x7m semi, £3.5k for tiles, scaffold, gutters, soffits etc. That was in Bolton.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zilspeed

posted on 21/5/13 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
Concrete tiles turn friable with aging.

There Is no amount of spray on sealer that can undo that,

This treatment is for the easily impressed.

If the tiles are actually OK, replacing cement ridges and verges with dry systems along with a clean down is a worthwhile investment.

Ridge and verge are prime sources of leaks and deterioration of the roof.

chukki

posted on 21/5/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice information really useful for viewers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.