Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan X Trail engine - advice please
02GF74

posted on 25/5/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan X Trail engine - advice please

Friend has '52 Nissan Xtrail with 2.0 petrol engine that has died. Possible cause was not checking oil and then putting cards over the dashboard to cover the oil/engine lamp or possibly something let go e.g. a seal to lose oil.

AA man checked oil, poured in 3.5 l before it registered on dipstick and some of it ended on floor when engine is cranked.

So engine is pretty much dead - it turns over, won't fire, makes a knocking sound (big ends?) and sounds like there is little compression (valves/piston rings/cam?) - so looking at cheapest way to get the car running and any advice on this is much appreciated.

Cost inc fitting a replacement engine is typically £ 1200 but engine can be bought for as low as £ 450 (ebay naturally but unknown condition other than being said it is good by seller.)

Note being able to find a Haynes manual on this so do not know how to set up timing gear, torque head down, are head bolts re-usable etc. that kind of stuff......

My initial thoughts are to whip off the head to take a peak inside and then take engine out to see state of bottom end.
Once an assessment is made, it is a case of pricing up the bits (shells, bearings, rinigs, pistons, gaskets, oil pump etc) and any work done (big end skim, head skim?). My gut feeling is that is is cheaper getting a running engine than reconning it - assuminig the block is sound - which does not bode well if oil coming out of it.

So if you have expereince of rebuilding an engine in these circumstances i.e. minimal budget what would you suggest?

Also of you know about rebuilding the Nissan engine or know of online data, that'll be appreciated.

... oh, and aprt from ebay, where else would you look for a s/h engine?

[Edited on 25/5/13 by 02GF74]

SteveMX5

posted on 25/5/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like its completely u/s to me. Easiest and cheapest way is to get and engine and simply swap them, not even worth opening it up in my experience.
Not Anumber

posted on 25/5/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I was in a similar situation last year with my Mercedes daily driver. After much deliberation I bought a 2nd hand engine from an E bay breaker with lots of positive feedback, dropped it in and was driving it the next day with the only other costs being a set of filters, oil and anti freeze.

britishtrident

posted on 25/5/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The engine is bad case of Norwegian Blue.

A lot of recon units on ebay which suggests it is a weak unit, if the unit is a weak engine buying an unknown unit from a scrapyard is too risky and if you go for a recon unit it would be a mistake to buy the cheapest back street unit.
If oil is poring out this suggests major damage and engine re conditioners may add a sizeable surcharge

The question has to be asked is it worth spending £1500 to £2000 fixing ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 25/5/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
My advise would be to tell them get the bus. If they are that incompetent with looking after a car, they shouldn't be on the road.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

02GF74

posted on 26/5/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
...ta for replies .... and as I expected here is no clear best choice.

Buying unknown engine is a risk but I am pretty sure the cost of reconditioning the existing one will be hugely expensive; e.g. a used piston + conrod on ebay is £ 80 so 4 of them plus gasket set is looking at £ 400+ not to mention other parts so with a few more pounds, a runner could be bought.

Fitting low mileageish engine with guarantee is costing 1200 whereas 2000 will get a similar age xtrail, in better cosemtic condition but about 60k miles above the current car) so IMO it would be more economical to sell the existing one and buy a replacement ... but she is attached to the car so would like it fixed.

The annoying thing is that I offered to do the oil change but not got round to it (planned to get it done 2 days after the failure which is deeply annoying) - I did check the oil less than 1 month ago but do not recall what the level was - I can only imagine it was ok else I would have topped it up so I am wondering if something let go on the engine.

Simon

posted on 26/5/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
The annoying thing is that I offered to do the oil change but not got round to it (planned to get it done 2 days after the failure which is deeply annoying) - I did check the oil less than 1 month ago but do not recall what the level was - I can only imagine it was ok else I would have topped it up so I am wondering if something let go on the engine.

As Ben says, if they really can't be that bothered with basic maintenance, I really wouldn't bother trying to help. In it's current state, it's a £200 car and they want to chuck another couple of grand at it, to make a £500 car - 'fraid that's just sad!

Auction it off, and buy another car. Preferably one that's just had a service. You've done your bit, let them take responsibility.

ATB

Simon

britishtrident

posted on 26/5/13 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
They could find a good lower mileage Honda HR-V of similar age for that kind of money and they can run for years without lifting the bonnet.
For low annual mileage the petrol vs diesel cost really dosen't matter much.

[Edited on 26/5/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.