Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another Ebay rant - BANNED FOR LIFE!!!!
eznfrank

posted on 30/5/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Another Ebay rant - BANNED FOR LIFE!!!!

Hi all,

I don't log in here very often nowadays having sold the Indy but as I know many of you use Ebay a fair bit I thought I should share my story with you. Essentially I have been banned from selling on Ebay for life, lets see if you think their decision is fair??

My friend called me up and told me that his ebay account had been restricted to selling £700/month so he called them up and they accused him of being associated with myself - a fact he did not deny, I regularly had parcels delivered to his house as his wife did not work and he only lived a few doors down. Ebay told him I had bad feedback and that as they thought the accounts were linked they had restricted his selling status - they were happy with his explanation and removed the restriction.

I have 470 transactions on Ebay with a 100% positive rating (I think I once got a neutral rating), however I had one bad set of ratings on the 5 star feedback (postage times etc), as I don't sell many things (22 in a year), this equated to more than 2% which puts you on restricted status and if you don't improve you are banned for life. So, I was placed on restriction in December and then banned in March (unbeknown to me) as my rating did not improve - which would be rather difficult as I was out of the country and did not sell anything.

So essentially, 1 person has marked me down and I'm banned for life!!!!

It seems rather harsh to me but having spoken to Ebay and done some research online it seems they never overturn their decision and are quite harsh with it!!

If anyone wants to verify this info my user ID is "thebeadboutique09" (the wifes chosen name, not mine!!)

Aaron_n_Sim

posted on 30/5/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Seems daft as the feedback & 5 star ratings are someone's opinion not necessarily factual! I post next day normally, and always MSG people to thank them for there purchase etc, some of them still don't leave feedback at all or say items weren't sent quick enough, normally cos it's taken the posty so long to get it to them!

It's becoming a bit of a joke, eBay needs some decent competition.

Work to Live don't Live to Work

r1_pete

posted on 30/5/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
That does seem rediculous, I never take any notice of those star ratings anyway, as said its opinion not reality.

It reminds me of an instance back when I was a Data Storage Manager, we had a reporting package which continually flagged a dataset red because it was doing 100% the I/O on a particular disk, the fact it was the only dataset on the disk bore no relavence....

Can you not keep badgering ebay....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 30/5/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I could keep badgering in them but having spoken to 3 different people last night I was flogging a dead horse, they're absolute in their decision and don't really want to listen to an explanation. Having read up online there's boat loads of people in the same boat and all say Ebay never back down. I even read about one guy who did $10,000 worth of ebay fees a month and got banned - you would imagine from a business viewpoint they'd relax the rules a bit for good business but apaprently not.
Slimy38

posted on 30/5/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
My other half is really paranoid about getting the same sort of thing. She sells a fair bit (but still only a personal account rather than business), and if memory serves she worked out that 2 three-star ratings would get her restricted, and one more would be the lifetime ban.

Personally I don't rate my purchases on the stars, I only do the feedback bit. I don't believe that 5 stars should be the 'norm'. I have received perfectly average services and been fine, but I'm expected to rate that as 5 stars which is the same as others who do more than expected. My first thought is for an average service I should give 3 stars. There's nothing wrong with that, but in Ebay that's a 'first strike' for the seller.

chrism

posted on 30/5/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
eBay do seem to enjoy shooting themselves in the foot.

I sold a car a couple of years ago on ebay and the winning bidder had 0 feedback, they did send me an email before bidding to say that they had had their previous account closed by ebay for bad feedback and had set up a new one. So I thought fair enough if they've gone to the trouble to email then it may be ok. Anyway they picked up the car 2 days after the auction finished and payed the full price in cash so no problems there.

Then 2 days later I get an email to say the buyers account has been suspended due to possible dodgy activity and that I didnt have to complete the transaction, and they refunded both the final value fee and my original listing fee back, so even though they had paid and there was no problem they still gave me a refund of all the fees so they lost out.

Yet when you find an account that has someone bidding on loads of cars and never paying and you report them nothing seems to happen and they are able to go on wasting peoples time. I ended up cancelling one of these users bid on a car I sold earlier this year and it shows how much they had bid after cancelling which was about double what it was worth just so they would be the winning bidder. I checked their feedback and there were a lot of positive feedback of people saying they are a time waster as sellers are unable to leave negative feedback anymore (Which is idiotic). So I used the advance search option and found all the items he was bidding on and sent messages to the sellers to warn them.

They seem to be a law unto themselves sometimes.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Slimy38

posted on 30/5/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
sellers are unable to leave negative feedback anymore (Which is idiotic).

That was quite possibly the most stupid thing they have done, although they're coming pretty close with many other changes. The feedback was there to show sellers that we are good buyers, not just showing buyers the good sellers.

Not Anumber

posted on 30/5/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I put some (legit and licensed) copies of Windows XP on Ebay for a friend a while ago making very sure I stayed within Ebay's guidelines for selling OEM software - offered with a piece of computer hardware etc.

Just as the listing was about to expire Ebay told me they had withdrawn them from sale and were cancelling all fees. This was very odd as I had just sold most of the software and the buyers had already paid by Paypal. I checked with each of the buyers who were all happy for the transactions to continue so put the CDs in the post and didnt have to pay any selling fees.

Peteff

posted on 30/5/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
thebeadboutique09 09-Dec-09 Present
flowersbyfrankie 30-Apr-08 09-Dec-09
jay_jay_mcclure 28-Jun-07 30-Apr-08

They list you as having been under 3 different names since 07, did you have any problems with them before ? A friend of mine has been suspended by them a couple of times for various offences in their eyes (a bit dodgy actually ) and he has had to take a "class" to teach him not to be naughty and was suspended from selling for a month.

[Edited on 30/5/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Duncan36

posted on 30/5/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had problems with them last year after my father passed away. Our business account was set up with his email address and name. When I changed it across to mine they blocked the account. I had explained the situation and even had to send them a copy of my fathers death certificate to try and sort it. I never even had a response from them. I ended up changing my personal account to a business one and used that, asking them to close the account they had blocked. As I had changed the original account to use my email address, I had to set up a new email as they wouldn't shut down the account, freeing up my own email address.

I gave up trying to call them after arguing with someone that didn't know what 'passed away' meant. Trying to carry on a conversation when emotions where already quite high would of ended up with me just getting banned

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

eznfrank

posted on 31/5/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
thebeadboutique09 09-Dec-09 Present
flowersbyfrankie 30-Apr-08 09-Dec-09
jay_jay_mcclure 28-Jun-07 30-Apr-08

They list you as having been under 3 different names since 07, did you have any problems with them before ? A friend of mine has been suspended by them a couple of times for various offences in their eyes (a bit dodgy actually ) and he has had to take a "class" to teach him not to be naughty and was suspended from selling for a month.

[Edited on 30/5/13 by Peteff]

No, it's all the same account, just changed the name, I could understand if it was 3 different accounts. I set it up and the missus then commandered it as a florist and then was selling beady jewellery stuff so changed the name

emwmarine

posted on 31/5/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Does seem a bit harsh.

However - and not talking about your situation - I think ebay are in a difficult place.

Buyers have been getting sued for defamation for putting negative feedback and comments on purchases. Do a google search, it seems to be becoming quite a new little industry for the ambulance chasers.

Ebay are aware of this and have been putting lots of warnings around putting up negative feedback - to the extent that it is now very rare to see negative feedback being given.

So my guess is that these anonymous star ratings are being used by them as a crude alternative way to try to regulate the market.

They are in a bit of a no-win position. If they don't get rid of the baddies their reputation plummets as a good place to buy stuff, on the other hajnd they are in danger of causing good guys, as any locostbuilder will be!, real problems with no comeback.

Building a Dax Rush.

Scuzzle

posted on 31/5/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had an Ebay moment right now, yesterday I was looking at replacement batteries for my Acer laptop and I picked one out at £17 and added to my watch list to order today. Ordered it today but now all of a sudden it's £117 and I never noticed, needless to say I'm not paying that for it and have contacted the seller about cancelling the transaction which he is not keen to do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.