Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: who's good for wiring looms?
blakep82

posted on 1/6/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
who's good for wiring looms?

Been majorly let down by someone who was going to make me a wiring loom, so after a year since he measured up for it, I find out nothing has been done at all... not happy.
I know of premier looms, but I suspect the loom will need to be made specially, as it won't be anything like the same as a loom for a 7.

The loom itself is very simple. Vauxhall engine on zx9r bike carbs, so the engine sensors are only tps, crank position, and temperature.
Edis and megajolt, the usual lights, gauges, indicators, type 9 gearbox reverse and electric speedo sensor.
Immobiliser transponder, and I think thats really about it... I've got switches, gauges, lights, sensors etc already, just need them all connected up.

Oh and cheap too... very cheap

DOes anyone have a loom removed from a similar spec car that can be extended or modified? Or recommend someone who could make me one?
Really really need help with this now, I've lost a year waiting for one already

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

big_wasa

posted on 1/6/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
You really really could make your own.

Just run one circuit at a time.

When there is nothing elts to wire, cover and attach.

It is that easy.

blakep82

posted on 1/6/13 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
You really really could make your own.

Just run one circuit at a time.

When there is nothing elts to wire, cover and attach.

It is that easy.

LOl if I could, I would, but I cant even begin to get my head around how hazard lights and immobilisers work. I did try to start doing it myself, and really didnt work out well. Then theres the problem of making plug connections that don't fall apart, I've not got the patience to start learning all that now tbh

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daniel mason

posted on 1/6/13 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
if i can do it you defo can. i made the full car loon on my mnr. ite easier than you think. info is out there for all switches etc. then just let someone else do ecu/engine bits. that will save you some cash!

chrsgrain

posted on 1/6/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, its easy, get all the stuff from vehicle wiring products and be logical... I've done 2 now, one for a 7alike and 1 for a TR4

CHris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

r1_pete

posted on 1/6/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you PM me your email addy, I've a list of all the standard British wiring colours from the 60s / 70s /80s, I ripped the wiring out of the e type and built a new loom just by referencing the colours and, by using single lengths of wire instead of joints everywhere, it is more reliable, but not as serviceable. Who services looms anyway.......

I'd come and help but Sheffield is a bit far away, I quite enjoy wiring......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 1/6/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used the SR20DET loom for the engine, and made everything else up as I went. It isn't hard to do in theory, doing one part at a time. I did get a nice and neat fuse box and wires, but everything ended up looking like absolute spaghetti once it left the junction boxes I installed for all the diodes etc. If I could, I would do it a FIFTH time properly, but it always turns out the same; burning out fuses with great regularity whenever I go to repair something that comes loose. SO don't do what I have done: BUY A LOOM.
snowy2

posted on 2/6/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
wiring looms are easy, if you set about it logically. if your capable of building a car your up to wiring it.
But i am telling you if you pay for a custom loom it wont be cheap.......why would it be? there is about 20 hours + in making one, any person doing it professionally would want at least minimum wage (unlikely to be that low) so its 1-200 quid just for the time. then there's materials travel costs etc.
i have an article on here on how to do it a simple search will locate it.
most folks who set about making a loom try to do everything with the shortest piece of wire they can find so as a consequence the wires run all over the place, some under bonnet wiring i have seen looks like a poor spiders web.......just think about it and take your time you will be fine.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

the1theycallthe1

posted on 2/6/13 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Take your time - run each circuit individually.

I was curious and asked a local auto electrician to quote for my car - it's a simple stripped out car, nothing fancy. Was quoted 18hrs plus materials. Ouch.

Give these guys a call and they'll do you a great deal to get you started.... http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

blakep82

posted on 2/6/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info everyone, however I refer you all back to the bit where I said I will not be making it, and I want someone to make it for me

So, with that in mind, any suggestions on who can make one for me?

big_wasa

posted on 3/6/13 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ah but you also said "cheap, very cheap" and the only persons time that is that cheap its your own.
snowy2

posted on 5/6/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Ah but you also said "cheap, very cheap" and the only persons time that is that cheap its your own.

ditto from me as well.......

you see its 20+ hours work if it all goes right first time, the lack of wiring is the most common reason for cars ending up on ebay......you know 90% complete needs a little more to finish.....

wiring someone else's car is not a beer tokens job........ unless its by a very good mate. (i am about to rewire a car for a friend to whom i gave a project car)
really, its not a difficult job to rewire a car have a go.

snowy2

posted on 5/6/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
ere big wasa.....you wouldn't happen to frequent the 5iveO forums would you?

ste

posted on 3/7/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did you ever get this sorted?
ste

posted on 3/7/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Reason I ask is, I made a loom for my last car and it ran perfect and never had any issues. I'm a proffesional aircraft electrician ( eurofighter) and have the tools/skills to make a loom. I'm just two weeks into my roadster build so if you want a quote to make a loom let me know.
turnipfarmer

posted on 9/7/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Re the initial post, the PWS loom, while Sierra-based, will go into a 7 OK.

Got one in mine & I know other folks have them in their 7's.

Colin Usher's guide is brilliant (http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/pwswiring.html)

Some wires will need shortening, but otherwise a very straightforward job.

You don't get the engine wiring though, & not sure of the cost these days.

big_wasa

posted on 9/7/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
ere big wasa.....you wouldn't happen to frequent the 5iveO forums would you?

no, never heard of that one.

snowy2

posted on 10/7/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/forum.php
Just in case you want a shufti.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.