Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting a MIG from disposable gas to bottle
Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Converting a MIG from disposable gas to bottle

Hi, I'm about to move from gasless tacking to proper welding on my chassis, but at the moment the welder is still set up to use disposable gas cartridges. what do I need to do in order to connect to one of these;

http://www.boconline.co.uk/en/products-and-supply/industrial-gases/shielding-gases/argoshield/2-litre-argoshield-light-filled-cylinder/2-litre-argoshi eld-light.html

Peteff

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
One of these. I can't see the cylinder on the BOC site for some reason but regulator and pipe can be top or side entry depending on your cylinder valve configuration.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
That makes sense, thanks. It is a top entry one by the looks of it, although I will go to BOC first to confirm.

The current valve is on the end of a white tube but has a blue 'top hat' on the end of it, I guess it's some sort of connector but it doesn't seem to want to disconnect. Do I just cut the whole valve off and put the tube into the end of that pipe? Or is there some knack to removing the tube from the old valve?

Edit: Never mind, found a pic, looks like the top hat stays on the valve.

[Edited on 11/6/13 by Slimy38]

Litemoth

posted on 11/6/13 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
5/8" BSP standard regulator - right hand thread, according to their literature.

Something like this to step the pressure down....Regulators are available for around £20. Try your local welding supplies place - they're a helpful trade in the main.

(It may be a side entry bottle so may need a side entry or extended neck regulator but they're all readily available)

Argon &' Co2 mix or Argon Single Stage 2 Gauge Mig/Tig Regulator c/w 6mm tail | eBay

[Edited on 11/6/13 by Litemoth]

Peteff

posted on 11/6/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38The current valve is on the end of a white tube but has a blue 'top hat' on the end of it, I guess it's some sort of connector but it doesn't seem to want to disconnect. Do I just cut the whole valve off and put the tube into the end of that pipe? Or is there some knack to removing the tube from the old valve?

Edit: Never mind, found a pic, looks like the top hat stays on the valve.

You push the top hat in to release and pull the pipe out at the same time, it's like magic

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 11/6/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
And as I discovered, moving from a pub Co2 bottle to Argon requires a different regulator.

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
And as I discovered, moving from a pub Co2 bottle to Argon requires a different regulator.

Yes I did notice several references to Argon being provided at much higher pressures and it's advisable to go for a proper Argon specific regulator. I like the idea of the twin gauge ones, one to measure the bottle pressure and the other to show the flow. I'm going to go straight on to Argon as I can't find CO2 any cheaper (admittedly I've not looked very far!).

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff

You push the top hat in to release and pull the pipe out at the same time, it's like magic

Awesome, thanks! It's now off, but the tube has got a few cuts in it, I guess where the clamp was? I might trim the pipe just to give the new clamp a clean bit to work with, it's only quarter of an inch or so.

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
BOC do do a hobby gas rate, most dealers do not know or acknowledge this so you will need to google and show them the special offer.

Better off with someone like adams gas or similar, no rental bottles as it all adds up very quickly, BOC will charge collection and delivery from the gas refinery to the dealer.... So even if you collect from your local depot they still screw another £15 out of you.

matt_gsxr

posted on 11/6/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I got a bottle from Adams dealer, I bought a regulator at the same time. That way you can be sure it all fits and get any silly questions answered at the same time.

Matt

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
BOC do do a hobby gas rate, most dealers do not know or acknowledge this so you will need to google and show them the special offer.

Better off with someone like adams gas or similar, no rental bottles as it all adds up very quickly, BOC will charge collection and delivery from the gas refinery to the dealer.... So even if you collect from your local depot they still screw another £15 out of you.

I aim to be taking the details with me, even the web page says no admin fees but you're not the first to suggest the 'hidden fees'. Having the supplier a few miles towards town is useful though. I'll head down and see what they try.

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done a bit of maths on the Adams bottles, per litre of gas it seems to work out almost identical to BOC, but with no annual rental. I don't know if I've understood the prices though, is the bottle deposit on top of the £91 bottle price? And is it £12 delivery per refill or is it £24 for delivery and collection?
benchmark51

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
welding gas

I have a Hobbyweld bottle. £50 returnable deposit, no rental. Bigger bottle than you suggest, but easily manageable.
Mine is argon/co2 mix, does a lovely weld. You need the correct regulator for which ever gas you use, gas supplier will advise you.
Been with hobbyweld 2 years now and very pleased with them. Stockist all over Britain http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/

Peteff

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
[Yes I did notice several references to Argon being provided at much higher pressures and it's advisable to go for a proper Argon specific regulator.

The cylinder fitment is also different, co2 is female regulator, ar/co2 is male regulator.

yours, Pete

T66

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mine came from Dixons who are the local to me Hobbyweld outlet

First bottle worked out at £80, with a £37 refund on the bottle and £30 i think to refill the next time

http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/

Slimy38

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
A quick search on Ebay has revealed an Adams gas supplier down the road in Telford, the standard £55 deposit and £30 for refill so as long as it's the same fill pressure I'll give them a go.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.