Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Long drive in the kit car
MP3C

posted on 24/6/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Long drive in the kit car

Hi all,

Got about a 2 and a half hour drive coming up (all motorway) this Wednesday, just wondering what people advise I take with me (kit car related). Anything anybody takes that they wouldn't go on a trip without?

Matt

olimarler

posted on 24/6/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
My trusty little tool box!
Battery booster
Cushion

Good luck

snapper

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Spare 5L fuel
Warm clothes, gloves, hat, earplugs
AA card

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jacko

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
RAC or AA card
Tyre repair foam
Water if you think the engine will needs it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cable ties and sticky tape!
Smoking Frog

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oxygen mask for when you've have to stop beside a truck's exhaust and clean underwear for when they change lanes and don't see you.
spdpug98

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've have just been to Le Mans and had to try and fit my camping gear in so no room for spares / tools, was very nervous as wanted to take some spare oil plus a few spanners etc but had no space.....I just made sure I had Euro Cover on my breakdown cover, there was no need to worry as she didn't miss a beat

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

puma931

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
A big
MP3C

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
haha cheers for the comments guys, will defiantly put some tools in and already have the 5lt can sorted! lets just hope everything will be good! My friend also advised a golf umbrella for if it rains and im stuck in traffic, as I have no roof :O and only a tiny windscreen.
StrikerChris

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has been no more unreliable than any other car.motorways but plodding at 3k at 80mph isnt a problem with the car, can seriosly knock it out of me tho.can go for hours around a and b roads but plan in plenty of leg stretch breaks on such boring wind battering oh crap are wagons that big kind of run.and I having run out in less than a 100mile to a tank(all be it not cruising on a motorway), "next sevices are x miles" signs always add to the pain! have a reserve tub!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 24/6/13 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Take the the tools required to settle your nerves including fuses. Tyre weld is a good idea.
Other than that, ear plugs or ear phones.
A crash helmet.
A neck waemer
Gloves
Wind proof jacket
Waterproofs
A navi

Enjoy. I have done many many long joirneys in my car. I juat constantly look forward to the A roads! !

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

RoadkillUK

posted on 24/6/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the bonnet is fastened down before you set off

We went to Newark last weekend, about an 80 mile drive, we had a flat tyre as the valve blew out, didn't have a jack or a spare.

Already mentioned is earplugs, just thought I'd mention again.

Have a safe journey.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Macbeast

posted on 24/6/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mars bar and flask of coffee.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

rdodger

posted on 24/6/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Money for petrol?

I have done 3 x 3000 mile trips through the Alps and just taken a few tools and European breakdown cover. Thankfully not needed either. As has been posted above, there should be no reason it won't be as reliable as a normal car.

TimEllershaw

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
plodding at 3k at 80mph isnt a problem with the car, can seriosly knock it out of me tho.can go for hours around a and b roads but plan in plenty of leg stretch breaks on such boring wind battering oh crap are wagons that big kind of run.

Chris

+1

The wind buffeting you get at motorway speeds can get really unpleasant after a while. When I first picked up my Westfield I drove it home along the M42 and M6. By the time I got home I didn't want to ever drive it again ! Felt like I had gone 10 rounds with Lenox Lewis - battered, ears ringing and head spinning.

Motorbike helmet and big jacket is a good answer, even on a hot day.

Tim

[Edited on 25/6/2013 by TimEllershaw]

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

whitestu

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
[align=center]
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by StrikerChris
plodding at 3k at 80mph isnt a problem with the car, can seriosly knock it out of me tho.can go for hours around a and b roads but plan in plenty of leg stretch breaks on such boring wind battering oh crap are wagons that big kind of run.

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1

The wind buffeting you get at motorway speeds can get really unpleasant after a while. When I first picked up my Westfield I drove it home along the M42 and M6. By the time I got home I didn't want to ever drive it again ! Felt like I had gone 10 rounds with Lenox Lewis - battered, ears ringing and head spinning.

Tim

[Edited on 25/6/2013 by TimEllershaw] [/align]

By far the best accessory for motorway driving is a full screen and decent side screens. It transformed by car for long journeys and actually makes driving on the motorway quite pleasant, with just a bit of hair ruffling at 80 / 90ish [theoretically officer].

Stu

dhutch

posted on 25/6/13 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Two hours, long drive?

Its an hour 40 onthe motorway to get to a friends and I used to do that anytime it was sunny, I did Nurburgring to the north west in one hit the year before last, and Sancerre to Rosendale the year after.

I echo the use of ear plugs, and if the weather looks even remotely suspect, hat/gloves and a good coat.
As I have unpadded grp seats I tend to take a square of 1inch foam, there good, but not that good after two hours.

Tend to carry a small kit of tools with me anywhere I go, but you will know as much as anyone how reliable your car is!

Daniel

Vindi_andy

posted on 25/6/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for additional cushining and regular leg stretching and arse denumbing breaks.

And yet another for ear plugs or ear bud phones to MP3 player with large selection of tunes

And a wind proof jacket and decent eyewear if not a helmet

MP3C

posted on 25/6/13 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
All sounds good, got the motorbike helmets all sorted out so that's good. Also forgot to mention I'm taking the Girlfriend back with me, and she has requested Bluetooth headphones on the iPhone's so we "can talk on the way back" which sounds to me like its going to be a lot of moaning about big lorries and a sore arse! should be interesting need to find a small spanner set now to fit in the car around the hair dryers (god knows why she needs one when I have a kit car) and excessive clothes.
dhutch

posted on 25/6/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the girlfriend I guess, Nurberg was with a group of Uni mates returning withotu a passenger, but it myself and my girlfriend who went to Sancerre and it was a very enjoyable trip all round once we had recovered from passing a large horse box who was quite close to or side of the road. Much of the time spend listening to audio books, as you do...

Daniel

bi22le

posted on 25/6/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
All sounds good, got the motorbike helmets all sorted out so that's good. Also forgot to mention I'm taking the Girlfriend back with me, and she has requested Bluetooth headphones on the iPhone's so we "can talk on the way back" which sounds to me like its going to be a lot of moaning about big lorries and a sore arse! should be interesting need to find a small spanner set now to fit in the car around the hair dryers (god knows why she needs one when I have a kit car) and excessive clothes.

I fitted an intercom for this reason. It has a mp3 input and we can talk to each other with it

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jeffw

posted on 25/6/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C

I fitted an intercom for this reason. It has a mp3 input and we can talk to each other with it

To which you can add Bluetooth for the phone and radios to talk to your mates while travelling

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/6/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw
+1

Tim
[Edited on 25/6/2013 by TimEllershaw]

It didn't seem to bad to me, but I was following in a warm Audi!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.