Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: megajolt rpm problem?
richardm6994

posted on 28/6/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
megajolt rpm problem?

I don't think it's a major issue, but I noticed a problem last night which I don't know how to fix.

I plugged the laptop into the megajolt and programmed the ignition timing, set it to MAP naturally aspirated and also set it to 8 cylinders...(rover v8 engine)

All runs fine except the rpm dial in the software program is reading loads higher then the actual engine speed?!?

My tacho is correct and also you can see on the ignition map that it is selecting the correct ignition advance based on the actual engine rpm (same rpm as my tacho).

The best example I can give is that on tickover (just under 1k rpm), my tacho is reading correct and it is using the ignition setting from the 900rpm column on the ignition map....however the rev counter in the program is reading over 1700 rpm!!

any ideas?

dave_424

posted on 28/6/13 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Are your trigger wheel settings correct? Essentially it is reading double what it should be. Should be a setting that is incorrect. Do a tooth log, if you are getting two long tooth gaps instead of just the one then VR sensor wiring needs to be switched.

Are you using EDIS?

richardm6994

posted on 28/6/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'm using an edis 8 with everything else coming from triggerwheels.

I've set the trigger wheel correctly and the engine runs fine.

I think its the megajolt software that seems wrong to me....as in the correct rpm is shown in the ignition map display (the little green box which highlights on the 10x10 map the ignition setting it's using at given loads / rpm), but the rpm display dial in the software is reading really high...

Not Anumber

posted on 28/6/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Are you running a 36 tooth wheel on the crankshaft pulley or on an aux shaft ?

mcerd1

posted on 28/6/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
assuming its all wired up right...

which versions of the MJ, firmware and tunning software have you got ?

[Edited on 28/6/2013 by mcerd1]

-

richardm6994

posted on 28/6/13 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
it's the 36 tooth wheel on the crank....and the software is what ever was on the cd that came with the megajolt unit (from trigger wheels) about 2 months ago....I will check the exact version when I'm home.

I installed a tps megajolt onto my old pinto (all sold) and that was fine and the on-screen tacho was correct.

I know the onscreen tacho is a bit gimmicky (not really needed) but it should at least correspond with the rpm reading that the ignition graph is reads....

jacko9370

posted on 30/6/13 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have just installed mega jolt on to my duratev build. Only had it running to make sure running ok and my onscreen tacho is about 1000 more than cars tacho.
I haven't wired in the tacho driver with the diodes don't know if this will fix it or not if I do wire it in.

Will be interested in any other solution you get

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.