Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 coverage
Lightning

posted on 30/6/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
F1 coverage

Just watching the lead up to the GP, have to say what superb coverage by BBC. Lewis and DC in the Red Arrows was awesome!

Steve

omega0684

posted on 30/6/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just seens Lewis' delamination in slow motion and it looked nasty, hope it hasnt caused too much damage, what a shame!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
femster87

posted on 30/6/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not good for pirelli
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 30/6/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's now 3 with delamination...
Ninehigh

posted on 30/6/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know you had lamination in (I persume it's a) tyre

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 30/6/13 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Didn't know you had lamination in (I persume it's a) tyre

Its a squeaky bum moment also known as a blow out.
Everyone is being told over their radio to avoid the kerbs

Lightning

posted on 30/6/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Superb race .Lewis did really well!

Steve

omega0684

posted on 30/6/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
apart from webbers crap start, i think he did really well, a fair drive from Alonso after a poor qualifying, but what can you say about Lewis, with the right car, he is just awesome, i bet he's not looking back on leaving McLaren now!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 30/6/13 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
apart from webbers crap start, i think he did really well, a fair drive from Alonso after a poor qualifying, but what can you say about Lewis, with the right car, he is just awesome, i bet he's not looking back on leaving McLaren now!

I was sorry to see Webber not winning - they were way too slow getting Vettel's car cleared away. Not quite sure why Vettel couldn't have parked the car somewhere which didn't cause a safety car actually. Alonso did very well in the end but by his own admission it was a lucky race for him in many ways and if he had got a better start then he might have been in a better position to capitalise at the end.

As for the comment about Hamilton, while I'm sure he's not regretting at his decision to leave Mclaren, I think that Rosberg has humbled him quite a bit this year so far, something which is confirmed if you look at the percentage of the team's points scored by each driver in the top 5 teams:

Lotus - KR 98 : 26 RG (KR 79%)
Mclaren - JB 25 : 12 SP (67%)
Ferrari - FA 111 : 57 FM (FA 66%)
Red Bull - SV 132 : 87 MW (SV 60%)
Mercedes - LH 89 : 82 NR (LH 52%)

Of course you could argue that this doesn't mean anything but often the only real way to compare a driver is to compare him with his team mate. I think Mclaren's relatively low overall point scoring makes the comparison a bit less valid for them, but I don't think anyone would disagree with the relative performance of the Lotus, Ferrari and Red Bull drivers. In fact, I would say that the numbers here actually flatter Hamilton because it feels as if Rosberg has done a better job, probably as a result of his high profile wins in Monaco and GB compared with Hamilton's lack of any wins this year. Note that I don't wish to suggest that Rosberg is not a good driver, I think he is very good but until recently he hasn't really been able to show his talent properly. I'd rank Rosberg alongside Webber and Massa in terms of ability and yet those two drivers are being much more comprehensibly beaten by their respective team mates.

It'll take a bit more than Hamilton passing a few sitting ducks on old tyres at the end of a GP to convince me that "with the right car, he is just awesome" as you put it. He's really got to knuckle down and get the job done now if he is to have any hope of becoming a "legend" as he has recently stated he wants to become. Don't even get me started on that one...

morcus

posted on 30/6/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think the car completely died and he got it as close to somewhere he could get himself out of the car and behind the fence.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

CNHSS1

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
re Vettel, we were sat in the stand at Vale opposite the pit entry when his car died. He was about 10m past the entry when he downshifted and it became obvious it was feckered, he rolled around Club blipping and shifting to no avail, but chose to park up on the straight as thats safer than the outside of Club.

im not sticking up for him, just the way i saw it

the interesting thing was the whole crowd were on their feet when his car died rather 'unBritish' i know, but i dnt think anyone shed a tear for Fingers.

Alonso, Webber, Di Resta and Hamilton all drove really well and hard, especially when they all had the tyre issues hanging over them.

to be fair to Pirelli, they have produced tyres that unnaturally degrade as per the FIAs mandate when the tyre tender came out, so i think its a little unfair to park all the blame at their door. As Paul Hembrey and teh FIA have stated in the past, Pirelli can make much much better tyres if the rules allowed them too...Odd but true :-)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

fesycresy

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I was at Club and we all went mad when Vettel stopped. The Vettel - Webber incident won't be forgotten for a while.

I sat next to a Spaniard and Italian (I think), they went nuts!

Over the radio, the teams were told to stay off the kerbs, turn 4 had a sharp edge and that's what possibly damaged all 4 rear lefts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

CNHSS1

posted on 1/7/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
yep, we had eorpeans and japanese directly next to us, the reaction to Fingers was pretty much Global lol

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

scootz

posted on 1/7/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Bit unfair that Pirelli is copping so much flak for the tyre blow-outs... have you seen the kerb in question!!!???

BBC Link

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 1/7/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Bit unfair that Pirelli is copping so much flak for the tyre blow-outs... have you seen the kerb in question!!!???

BBC Link

A valid point, but surely that kerbs been there for 3-4 years now and hasnt caused issues.

Mistral Motorsport

scootz

posted on 1/7/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

BBC Link

A valid point, but surely that kerbs been there for 3-4 years now and hasnt caused issues.

Only the Silverstone management will know how long it's been there in that guise (has it been fiddled with as part of a maintenance project?).

It's Evolution Baby!

mark chandler

posted on 1/7/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Would that curb not have clobbered the other tyre, the nearside rear blew, the car could not have been that far over so the inside edge of the offside would have been affected.
scootz

posted on 2/7/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good point! Well made!

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 2/7/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Would that curb not have clobbered the other tyre, the nearside rear blew, the car could not have been that far over so the inside edge of the offside would have been affected.

The kerb is on the left, they tyre that blew is on the left. why would the right tyre need to touch it. If the right tyre touches a kerb on the left then its beyond the white line, therefore exceeding the track limits, which is an infringement and would be a warning and eventually a penalty if done consistantly.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.