Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel leak / drip / something!!
Nickctp

posted on 4/7/13 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel leak / drip / something!!

Morning all,

I Have a slight fuel leak I think coming from one of my carbs. This only occurs after I have had a bit of a run and the engine is hot - when it's cooled down all is fine. I am running a 1700 x X flow on twin 40's.

This engine has just been rebuilt and is still being run in (only done around 300 miles since rebuild). The carbs have been rebilt too but NOT tuned yet.

It's not a pipe or hose or anything obvious - also not wet in the air filter so I think it is actually coming from the right hand carb.

Does anyone have any ideas? It does'nt seem to be getting any worse but can't actually see where it could be coming from!!!

Cheers

Smoking Frog

posted on 4/7/13 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a vent it could be leaking from? If so, check needle valve and float height.
Nickctp

posted on 4/7/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Is there a vent it could be leaking from? If so, check needle valve and float height.

It is dripping down the manifold onto the floor. Will check the valve.

mark chandler

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not fastened to tightly are they? You should only bolt up until the thackery washers are closed so it floats on the rubbers, over tighten and you get problems with fuel frothing and overfilled carbs.
Nickctp

posted on 4/7/13 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Not fastened to tightly are they? You should only bolt up until the thackery washers are closed so it floats on the rubbers, over tighten and you get problems with fuel frothing and overfilled carbs.

I was pretty careful when re building them - Always a possibility though I suppose. It only started on last couple of runs out - was fine for nearly 300 miles ;(

mcerd1

posted on 4/7/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NickctpIt only started on last couple of runs out - was fine for nearly 300 miles ;(

it's worth re-checking it all again - 300 miles is plenty time for something to have worked its way loose....

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.