Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with paddle shifter kit fitting?
-matt

posted on 23/7/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Help with paddle shifter kit fitting?

Bought a paddle shifter kit, just got it out and I'm not 100% sure on how it fits.

Am I right that I need to remove/cut off the top section of sierra steering column, then the black tube replaces this and bolts to the chassis.

And I will then loose the indicator, ignition barrel and steering lock? I'm not too worried as I can remove steering wheel as immobiliser, fit a ignition barrel in the dash, and it will prob look a lot smarter.

And I'm surely going to need a much slimmer boss kit?

This is what I've currently got:

And the shift kit (minus the paddle):

And pics from the vague instructions:

Does anyone have any advise on how to make this fit? And recommend a boss that will fit with this?

Cheers

tegwin

posted on 23/7/13 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I would be inclined to suggest you have bought the wrong kit for the job...

You should be able to get something to work without hacking off the supporting pieces for the steering column... Don't forget, the car wont handle so well if the steering wheel falls off!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bigfoot4616

posted on 23/7/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
its basically how you say. i can't remember exactly how i did mine but the black tube and the part of the sierra column you keep(left pic in you upside down instructions) bolt up to the chassis mounting points.

can't help on the boss, i got someone to weld on my quick release, didn't trust my own welding on something so important.
having said that, as all it does is replace the sierra outer what you have now should work.

-matt

posted on 24/7/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, well I had a go at this today, BTW it was this kit £90 which seems a decent price:
Paddle kit

My only problem is I've got the adjustable sierra column that is clearly not comparable with this kit, so did as any locoster would do and make it fit

So removed the outer secton of column, the top bearing poped out nicely and pressed into new section.

Now the difficult bit was the lower bearing, as I can't use the sierra bracket as the new outer won't fit over it, so I cut the bearing off, then got a sheet of steel and welded the bearing to it, couple of holes and fitted, bolted up and fitted a treat.

It actually feels more rigid than it did before as it did flex a bit before, but feels nice and strong now, just need to wait for a weld on boss kit to arrive, but it looks a million times better than before.

I Even found that the cable from the gear level was the perfect length to use aswell, so fitted it and it feels good. The only problem is the paddles don't seem to spring back very well after I let go of the paddle. But the lever never did either so it may be the cable at fault?

bigfoot4616

posted on 25/7/13 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
could be the cable a bit tight. try disconnecting the cable and move the lever on the engine by hand to engage a gear and see if that springs back properly. if it does cable is bent to tightly or knackered.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.