Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody Cock Up...
scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody Cock Up...

Was helping out a family member by listing their car on eBay. It's worth £2000+ all day long.

Anyway, I meant to start the listing as an auction at 99p with no reserve, but made a mistake by listing it at a fixed price of 99p. Doh!

I noticed my error within a couple of mins of the listing going live and whilst cancelling it, my email pinged and I saw I had a message saying someone had bought the car.

I sent them a polite message explaining my mistake, apologising for it, and pointed them in the direction of the new listing with teh correct details.

They've declined to cancel the transaction and are getting narky.

Bottom line is he ain't getting it... anyone with half a brain-cell would have seen I'd made an error... especially when you read the descripion and it says 'bidding starts at 99p with no reserve!'.

I know it was my error that led to the mess, but why do folks have to be such insufferable arseholes when they're hiding behind the screen of a computer!?

The net result of all this is that I'll be a couple of quid lighter as I won't be refunded my seller fee and going by the way the messages are developing, I'll be left with stinking negative feedback!

[Edited on 2/8/13 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

Jon Ison

posted on 2/8/13 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ring eBay CS tell em what you wrote here, they should credit your listing fee's and keep an eye on any feedback left.
scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Jon.

I'm not all that fussed about the llisting fee as I accept it was me who dropped a bollock... I'm just annoyed at the attitude of the 'purchaser'.

I guess that going by his completely unreasonable attitude that he's never made a mistake in his lifetime!

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 2/8/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Scootz

Should your header not read "ive cocked up on a an ebay listing"

Its not an ebay error

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Never said it was an eBay error... think I've been quite clear that the error was all mine.

My gripe lies with the unreasonable manner of another eBay user - hence the generic 'Bloody eBay' term.

But thanks all the same for your pedantry

Bloody Steve M

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like he's just a "keyboard warrior" trying to bully you into honoring the 99p car. Will probably give up pretty quickly.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

steve m

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I was only joking

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I was only joking

I wasn't... AND I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know were you live as well, as ive got a car to pick up, do you want paypal or 99p when I arrrive

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I know were you live as well, as ive got a car to pick up, do you want paypal or 99p when I arrrive

^^^Post of the day^^^^

Just about sprayed my screen with a mouthful of coffee...

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you liked it, made me chuckle as well!

coyoteboy

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
There's a "cancel" option on the ebay listings, and one of the legitimate reasons is "item is broken or no longer available". Just tell them it was stolen before they bid.

however it totally erodes the spirit of Ebay if people keep cancelling when their 99p start item gets near the end and then gets pulled because iot's not making enough. In this case I think it's more than fair to pull it so close to the start.

[Edited on 2/8/13 by coyoteboy]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately there's a lot of people in the world that want something for nothing (or 99p, for those who want to be picky).

I can see why they'd try to get the car at that price, but lets be honest, anyone with half a brain or an ounce of common sense would be able to see it was an error.

I'd drop eBay customer service a line explaining, cancel the listing, and just re-list. I'm sure the negative feedback can be avoided or overturned, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Worst that can happen is they'll request your contact details and call you up to give you grief.... red button solves this!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Slimy38

posted on 2/8/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to selling the car, have you considered a classified listing? You get the audience of Ebay, but with much more control over the price and the ad lasts longer. I sold my Astra like that, I dropped the price £100 a week until it sold and it was gone in three weeks.

I think the price is comparable to Auto Trader, but lasts for much longer .and you have complete control over everything. Don't forget, even if you had put it as a 99p no reserve, it's possible it would have still gone for 99p. or certainly a lot less than your 2k.

Not Anumber

posted on 2/8/13 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
what is the buyer's ID ?

imp paul

posted on 2/8/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
hope you sort it scott, sounds like buyer is a t*at pal. people make mistakes all the time, pal good luck keep your chin up after all does he know who you are the master parts pusher
FazerBob

posted on 2/8/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Forget EBay customer services. They are worse than useless. I have had three fights with them in the last year. Firstly I sold a brand new Sony DVD recorder. It only made £100, which was disappointing, but a deal's a deal so I sent it off. 2 months later the buyer complained that it wasn't working properly, and reported me to EBay.
After several weeks of arguing (7 day rule etc) EBay refunded the buyer with the purchase price and all postage costs, and took payment from my credit card - even though I hadn't got the item back. They said his proof of posting was enough.
When the recorder arrived back I plugged it in and nothing happened, so I investigated further and discovered that inside my casing was a different recorder, same make but older model, and total scrap.
I reported the matter to EBay - their reply "the case is now closed and cannot be re-opened".

A couple of months ago I bought a flying jacket of an EBay seller. Brand was given as John Lewis, size "a large Medium", On arrival it turned out to be an unknown make and size Small. I contacted the seller who said it had been bought at John Lewis, and looked more like a Medium to him - so no refund. (I did point out that if I bought a Mars bar from Tesco it wouldn't suddenly become a Tesco bar, but he didn't get my point.
However, after weeks of messing about EBay refunded my purchase price and original postage costs, leaving me over £10 out of pocket for return postage. They said I should ask the seller to cover the costs, as the case was now closed.

Sorry to go on like this, but my experiences may just help someone else.

My final escapade happened recently when I sold some Goodwood Festival of Speed tickets. A buyer in Devon bought a ticket and paid immediately with PayPal. A couple of hours later he e-mailed me and asked about having another four tickets (I had 7 listed). We agreed a price and I said I would put all the tickets together to save postage and get them off the following morning. He (Gerder1966) then said he was away from home at the moment but would make the payment the next morning.
As I was working until 8.30pm it was late the following evening when I checked my account and found that the payment hadn't been made.

The following couple of months were unbelievable, messages back and forth every day, with every excuse under the sun. "The tickets hadn't arrived" I pointed out that I had a signature confirming delivery. His pc 'wouldn't connect to the internet' (he told me in an e-mail!), my 'PayPal had refused his payment, so I must have given him the wrong details' I reminded him that he had already paid for the first ticket by PP.

I even sent him my bank details and spent many hours checking for a payment. Many, many times he swore he'd been into his bank and sent the money, then he said he'd go to a branch of my bank and pay - of course he didn't.
Eventually I'd had enough and told him to pay up within 7 days or I would contact Goodwood and report the tickets as stolen. He then accused me of being rude and aggressive, said he didn't like dealing with me, but would I tell him which 4 tickets I was cancelling, so that he could keep the good ticket and return the rest (yeah right, course he would).

No payment was forthcoming so after the 7 days I told him that all 5 tickets he had received were now voided (in fact I didn't contact Goodwood). He then contacted EBay and left me negative feedback for defrauding him!

With the new EBay rules a seller can't leave negative feedback, so my 100% record, with nearly 700 transaction has been reduced to 97%, while his 32 transactions still have him at 100%, even though reading his 'positive' feedback has complaints about him not paying!

Despite several requests EBay has refused to reinstate my feedback, or take any action against Gerder1966 of Devon, so when dealing with EBay don't expect any sort of 'customer satisfaction' - you won't get any.

Sorry this has been more like a book, but some may find it of use.

Bob

bi22le

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would not worry about having 1 negative feedback.

When I buy something I always check the feedback and if they have one in say 150 negative I put that down to moody buyers and no fault of the seller.

I logged on one day and noticed I had a negative feedback. I did not even know why so contacted the person who gave it too me. He said that I had brought soemthing and never paid for it!! I must of clicked and forgot or something!!

He didnt take the negfeedback away but I was not fussed.

Regarding the OP. I would just say you cant supply the item in the state as advertised or something and refund the 99p.

Finally, cant you respond to neg feedback giving your point or am I imagining this.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
You can respond with suitable text, but it can only be highlighted under 'positive' feedback (there is no negative or neutral option available to sellers).

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
He's gone quiet, so hopefully that will be the end.

Fingers crossed!

It's Evolution Baby!

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/8/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
If not send him a link to this topic

I had issues on eBay after buyng a mini part and then having a computer muck up, the buyer demanded I buy two items instead of one so I complained on here then emailed the link, he very quickly dropped it after realising the negative publicity

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 2/8/13 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair, Scootz, it's not unknown for you to sell stuff at vastly reduced rates. How was he to know it was a mistake not just another "Scootz bargain"

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeRJ

posted on 2/8/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
To be fair, Scootz, it's not unknown for you to sell stuff at vastly reduced rates. How was he to know it was a mistake not just another "Scootz bargain"

scootz

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

rick1962uk

posted on 2/8/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
i sell loads on ebay and there is no way out you will receive bad feed back and ebay wont allow you to leave bad feed back to a buyer it stinks i did the same thing and had the same response so i emailed the buyer telling him it was stolen and as he was the only other person who knew that the car was hear please could i have his address as the police would like to interview him to eliminate him from there inquires
it worked for me and i was lucky with no ad feed back

also im 99% sure legaly you are only offering the item for sale on ebay and its not a legal binding sale but dont quoteme on that

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.