Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stupid Vauxhall CDTi
ashg

posted on 4/8/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid Vauxhall CDTi

well as the sun was shining i thought i would have a little look at what went wrong on my vauxhall. it broke down with suspected turbo failure, i went and got a new car and it has been sitting on the drive for the last 3-4 months, while i decided what to do with it.

pulled the inlet hose off the turbo and it was pretty conclusive. the turbo has parted company with this world. pretty naffed off as its a git of a job to do and it shouldn't have gone at 120k especially when the thing has been serviced to the letter from brand new no expense spared.

i think the official terminology is "PROPER FEKKED"

well thought i would strip it down and have a look, what a bitch it is to get a turbo off a vauxhall vectra/signum 1.9CDTi

looks like one of the bolts holding the variable vane assembly on the exhaust side has sheared allowing the vanes to interact with the exhaust side compressor wheel ending in catastrophic failure.

here you can see the sheared bolt and the two remaining ones

air side inner chra bearing face has disintegrated under the strain

here you can see the bolt snapped off in the exhaust housing

thought i would save the best bit to last

the exhaust side compressor wheel has sheared clean off the shaft! now that takes some doing!!

so in summary can it be rebuilt..................

well yes if i can get a new chra and variable vane assembly as the housings have amazingly got away undamaged, but by the time i have gone to all the bother of that it may be easier and cheaper to just get a new turbo.

DOH!!!! and just to make things worse the bearings in the turbo were 100% ok :-(

anyone know of a place that sells recon turbos for a good price? i reckon it will cost me £300-400 in parts to rebuild the one i have.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

AndyW

posted on 4/8/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Last year we had a turbo failure on a Renault megane at 120k miles. I looked into rebuilding it and on the Renault forum a guy had purchased a rebuild kit, but after much faffing and swearing the general opinion was to get a new turbo. I picked up a brand new turbo of ebay for £250

I would just put it down to "one of those things" and stick a new or recon turbo on and flog it

Mr C

posted on 4/8/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ash, one on the gay for £195 and just down the road. low mileage and reputable breakers

linky

Mike

[Edited on 4/8/13 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

samjc

posted on 4/8/13 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Other than the turbo issue what are the signums/ vectras like as looking myself at diesel estates or would you know say stay away ?
samjc

posted on 4/8/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Other than the turbo issue what are the signums/ vectras like as looking myself at diesel estates or would you know say stay away ?
ashg

posted on 5/8/13 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
its been an excellent car got it almost new with 26k on the clock. got it up to 120k with no major problems whatsoever, until the turbo went. the only things its had in 5 years are services, pads and discs all round, cambelt and waterpump, new wiper arm linkage, thermostat, steering arms and an inter-cooler as the old one got damaged. not bad for nearly 100k of driving. mine is the top of the range elite with all the toys.

i have got a 2010 bmw 3series estate now and its an excellent car but the vauxhall 100% had the edge on ultimate comfort as the ride and seats are softer, the bmw is more sporty feeling.

oh and for a big car it would easily do 55-60mpg on the motorway, about 46-47mpg round town.

[Edited on 5/8/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

samjc

posted on 5/8/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a smashing motor. You currently have both my choice haha im looking at audi a4, bmw 320 and vectra estates. Only issue with the signum is finding a good one as all the ones ive looked into were very poor.
IanG1

posted on 5/8/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by samjc

Swirl flaps in the inlet manifold can cause problems, short journeys and cheap fuel often blamed.
Google it loads of information. I know of 2 cars of friends this has happened to, one was 100K+ and the other was only 38K

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.