Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.0 Ford EcoBoost - is a 7 any place for it?
jps

posted on 7/8/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
1.0 Ford EcoBoost - is a 7 any place for it?

I realise a lot of LCB are interested in mad power, huge displacement and/or BEC. But does anyone think this engine could be of interest to 7 builders in the future?

Linky to details of Ford 1.0 EcoBoost engine

Obviously it can be made to have some clout

Linky to ridiculous Formula Ford 'concept' they built around it just to show off

I guess a big limiting factor would be the years we'll need to wait until they are going for £50 in scrap yards?

beaver34

posted on 7/8/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
they use clever direct injection and fuel pumps, the managment is out there to run them at the moment but its very expensive that is the major worry that i see at the moment
big_wasa

posted on 7/8/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Most people buying bike engines don't look for the nearest aftermarket ecu to run them more complex car engines are no different. There is just more to get your head around.
Ajohnston_10

posted on 7/8/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'v got the Fiesta zs 1L EcoBoost kicking out 123bhp.
Its a pritty nippy car, so i can imagen it in a 7 will be fairly quick.

Better idea, use the 1.6 EcoBoost!

belgian2b

posted on 7/8/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

i have given a look at this engine after testing the Focus with125 bhp.

Engine is very short, but it 's also very high.
So , i think that this will be the problem to make it fit under the bonnet.

Gerardo

MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/13 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.0L Ecoboost has a footprint the size of a sheet of A4 paper apparently, but they are very tall which is always a problem in a 7.

I'm not sure the characteristics of the standard engine (i.e. torque quickly peaking at low RPM then tailing off fairly quickly) are really appropriate for a fun, lightweight sportscar. I'd far rather have an engine that needs to be worked to extract the power rather than one that's more like a diesel.

Canada EH!

posted on 7/8/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Considering the original Lotus 7 had a flat head 4 cyl Ford Pop engine with hardly any horsepower, and many of the cars were built with 1000 cc Sprite and early non cross flow Kent engines.

That engine is far superior but not Locost or easy to maintain.

karlak

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
My son has this engine in his Fiesta - in 100bhp guise.

I was prepared to be totally underwhelmed with it, but have to say was very impressed. It was the low down pull that really amazed me, almost diesel like (but not quite), but then happily revs up to the red line.

I also find the engine noise quite nice.

Not sure of the weight with turbo etc attached though.

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

sdh2903

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's the way of the world. Small capacity and add a turbo. Even caterham are doing it. Formula 1 are doing it next season. Years ago people said bike engines were daft in a car, now look at their popularity.
DH2

posted on 7/8/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
A good friend of mine is working on a 1.6 Ecoboost conversion kit for Elise.
Good for a comfortable 200+bhp.
It looks right at home in there, I must say.

DH2

AndyW

posted on 7/8/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at the new Kia Cee'd 1.6 petrol 201BHP and that's standard. Must have some potential
beaver34

posted on 7/8/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2

DH2

Sounds good, can I have one for my Vx 220 then!

matt5964

posted on 8/8/13 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
this is a link to a test drive of the road concept formula ford with the 1ltr eco boost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL239B84BD346EEEFA

iank

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
this is a link to a test drive of the road concept formula ford with the 1ltr eco boost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL239B84BD346EEEFA

Yes, but I don't think the engine is as pulled out of a donor. There's lots of work gone into making that perform well in a racing car.
Work that can and will be done, no doubt, but it's going to take some development before it's "cheap".

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DH2

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
quote:
Originally posted by DH2

DH2

Sort of. Though I think the rear subframes might be different on the VX to the Lotus? And this conversion retains the PG1 gearbox, as it is known to be relatively strong.
And knowing you like your loopy power, 200 is pretty conservative, as I'm sure you are aware.

DH2

beaver34

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DH2

DH2

Sort of. Though I think the rear subframes might be different on the VX to the Lotus? And this conversion retains the PG1 gearbox, as it is known to be relatively strong.
And knowing you like your loopy power, 200 is pretty conservative, as I'm sure you are aware.

DH2

better than its 150 that it has now, and im an expert with the simga based engines now

coozer

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
The racing ecoboost has been delveloped in much the same way as the Cosworth Sierra motors IE, tons of money chucked in the project.. then about that BDA they developed for the RS200. ££££££££££

My thinking for something similar is the 1600SE engine. How about turboing that and using a handy 220bhp with good torque figures?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

eddie99

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've been looking into the ecoboost range recently, i've been told the 1 ltr is unbalanced, its a steel engine so pretty heavy and it doesnt lend itself towards RWD applications. So we're heading down the 1.6 ecoboost route for a road Pulse. Its a cheap way of achieving 210-220bhp from a standard engine. Electrics are the tricky bit using original parts but companies have done it and arent that expensive.

[Edited on 8/8/13 by eddie99]

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DH2

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
better than its 150 that it has now, and im an expert with the simga based engines now

Here's how a crate engine looks at home in an Elise... clickety-click

While I've got your attention - Sigma manifold dimensions?

DH2

beaver34

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I've been looking into the ecoboost range recently, i've been told the 1 ltr is unbalanced, its a steel engine so pretty heavy and it doesnt lend itself towards RWD applications. So we're heading down the 1.6 ecoboost route for a road Pulse. Its a cheap way of achieving 210-220bhp from a standard engine. Electrics are the tricky bit using original parts but companies have done it and arent that expensive.

[Edited on 8/8/13 by eddie99]

i run a turbo sigma, wouldnt discount using that alot cheaper to buy and not too differnt does not have the direct injection or the vct though, will take 220bhp fine on a stock block and crank you need to change rods and pistons

beaver34

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
quote:

Here's how a crate engine looks at home in an Elise... clickety-click

While I've got your attention - Sigma manifold dimensions?

DH2

exhaust manifold that i have for you?

DH2

posted on 8/8/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Your old manifold from the NA motor - is it still in your posession? ISTR that you have loaned it to someone?
I was just after some clues as to pipe diameters and lengths.

MikeRJ

posted on 8/8/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've been looking into the ecoboost range recently, i've been told the 1 ltr is unbalanced,

Three cylinder engines are naturally more unbalanced than a 4 cylinder ones. Instead of adding a balancer shaft Ford unbalanced the crank/flywheel assembly so most of the vibrational energy occurs in the horizontal plane instead of the vertical plane, which can be absorbed by the engine mounts more easily. It's a clever scheme, but implies that vibration could be a problem if you want to use stiffer engine mounts.

beaver34

posted on 8/8/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
quote:

Your old manifold from the NA motor - is it still in your posession? ISTR that you have loaned it to someone?
I was just after some clues as to pipe diameters and lengths.

still need to get it back, will sort it and send it to you

baz-R

posted on 29/7/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
I've been looking into the ecoboost range recently, i've been told the 1 ltr is unbalanced,

Three cylinder engines are naturally more unbalanced than a 4 cylinder ones. Instead of adding a balancer shaft Ford unbalanced the crank/flywheel assembly so most of the vibrational energy occurs in the horizontal plane instead of the vertical plane, which can be absorbed by the engine mounts more easily. It's a clever scheme, but implies that vibration could be a problem if you want to use stiffer engine mounts.

when i was studying engine design i was told that 3cyl inline engines ballance very well (vibration wise) if you ave a 120deg crank and from 3cyl bike and car engines i have played with would say this is just not true yes there is a problem with 4 strokes and 3cyl's to get an even power strokes but its not a real issue and theres plenty of engines outhere with uneven power strokes or oddfires as thay are somtines called.
saying that i have no exact design on what ford have actualy done in the 1l ecoboost but im sure it could be ironed out

the future is that we are all just going to have to move on at some point so we best make an early start

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.