Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Poly bushes vs rose joints
carse

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Poly bushes vs rose joints

Hi all,

Might be opening a can of worms here, but just wondered if anyone that has run both ploy bushed and then rose jointed wishbones on their Indy can tell me if they noticed a difference (better or worse, more control etc.) between the two methods.

I'm thinking about going rose jointed (not sure where I'll get hold of a set of rose jointed wishbones yet, mind) so was hoping to get a bit of feedback from guys that had run both.

Thanks,

Carse

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 8/8/13 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
For the road - polybushes

For the track - rose joints

For a road/track car - polybushes

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 8/8/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Has been discussed to death but really it depends on the use for the car and how often it would be used, all have their pros and cons
whitestu

posted on 8/8/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I rose jointed my upper wishbones just to make it easier to add more castor and adjustability.

Other than the difference the castor made there wasn't any noticable difference when driving. When the wheels are off the ground the suspension moves up and down a bit more freely.

My rose joints have been on for a couple of years and have no signs of wear but I don't use the car much. Based on experience so far I should think they'll last 10+ years with my level of use.

Stu

[Edited on 8/8/13 by whitestu]

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/8/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Did you use protective boots or seals on the rose joints?
Tazzzzman1

posted on 8/8/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I have rose joints and poly bush's on my Roadrunner Sr2 (one side of the wishbone is bushed, the other rose jointed) . Mainly used on the road and has so far covered 4K miles with no issues at all. No boots covering mine. Most mileage has been in the dry though. I think that the rose joints allow a more free movement, but not really that noticeable. The main thing is that you have plenty of suspension adjustments that you are able to do to set up correctly...

whitestu

posted on 8/8/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Did you use protective boots or seals on the rose joints?

No, I bought them but forgot to fit them and found them in the bag at the end.

Stu

renetom

posted on 8/8/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
got our top wishbones rose jointed from MK
better able to set up + a bit more self centring.

Not Anumber

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running rose joints on the front top wishbones (new adjustable ones from Phil at Talon). Fitting these was a revelation as the steering now self centres and it has also reduced bump steer. I have had no problem at all with the rose joints and it is great to be able to adjust the wishbones for length in 3 places as well as for position by moving spacers. In erhaps a mad moment I spotted the protective boots on Ebay and thought they looked a pretty neat idea but be warned they do make fitting the wishbones a tad more difficult: Trying to thread a bolt through 2 batches of stainless steel washers with a rose joint sandwiched in the middle is a job that needs a bit of patience but it gets rather tougher when it also involves a cover that rotates and blocks the holes whenever the bolt is offered up.

If you plan on using the car a lot (and by that i mean every day for commuting for years plus some track use) it could be worth checking the rose joints from time to time to make sure they haven't siezed. Thats precautionary and frankly is not likely to be much of a worry for the mileages most kit cars cover. If you are concerned though you can always invest in the higher grade rose joints that are made for serious competition use, they would certainly be a lifetime fit and forget item for a car that is expected to cover a very high mileage.

The bottom front wishbones and all rears on my Indy are still on polybushes. They have been there for 8 years or so and no problems there. The worst i could say is that they can audibly creak sometimes but that isnt an indication of a fault or failure and the noise can be swiftly sorted out by just dismantling them for cleaning every now and then.

Chris

DH2

posted on 9/8/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Fitting these was a revelation as the steering now self centres and it has also reduced bump steer.

That's not a direct function of using rod ends though.

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber worth checking the rose joints from time to time to make sure they haven't siezed.

Developing play due to dirt ingestion is far more likely than seizing.

DH2

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/8/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I do notice that when folk say that their rose joints are lasting well its always a few thousand miles, lasting well is more like 40-60k which is what I'd expect from a ball joint or a greased polybush
PhillipM

posted on 9/8/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
18k miles and counting on mine, on a car that weighs twice what most on here do, and it's driven in all weathers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.