Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: supercharging glimmer of hope!
roohunter

posted on 8/8/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
supercharging glimmer of hope!

Hi all
I put a post on here a few months ago and I am now due to cost having to review again , I have a full m90 charger set up , injectors manifold etc for my zetec which I planned to fit to my MK after the IVA but after looking at the costs of work , mapping and rolling road twice, I am thinking of doing it pre IVA has anyone ever done this and got through , or any ideas ? Or is it a no hoper !?
Thanks all

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/8/13 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't an M90 a bit big for a zetec? What outputs are you looking for?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

roohunter

posted on 8/8/13 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
charger

Hi There
It was on a sprint car running at 8 psi , dont know if this helps but not looking for massive power
Regards

daveb666

posted on 8/8/13 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
If the mapping is done right there is no reason not to be able to get through the emissions.
babyblue

posted on 8/8/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Supercharged Project

Are you looking to sell your Supercharger as I am about to buy one. Can you tell me a bit more?
coyoteboy

posted on 8/8/13 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
M90 is huge for a zetec. I've been looking for one for my 4.2 V8 as it's about right to push 6-7psi into that!

snakebelly

posted on 8/8/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
way too big for a zetec, you want an M62 of a Merc.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/8/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an M62 from a 4l jeep for my 2.3 engine,

[Edited on 8/8/13 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

BaileyPerformance

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
An m90 is fine for a 2.0 zetec, it's better to have a blower that is too big than too small, gear it twice engine speed for about 1bar of boost, you will need a food intercooler. Leave the throttle on the inlet manifold and fit a big blow off valve to dump air when throttle is closed.

You will need good engine management, we always use megasquirt. You will see over 250bhp on a stock engine.

Let me know if you need any help, we can offer free support. Mapping £250 for a full day. We can also install your blower and engine management if you require.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 8/8/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, madness, stacks of rotating mass for no reason and right of the bottom of its efficiency range?

(30% more flow from the m90 at the same shaft rpm, lowerdelta t and similar power input to be fair, but still seems like overkill and no oem with a 2 litre engine uses anything larger than a 62.

[Edited on 8/8/13 by coyoteboy]

PhillipM

posted on 9/8/13 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've just put an M112 on a 2 litre engine, efficiency wise a 90 or a 112 are pretty good compared to overspinning a 62.
Obviously if you only want ~200-275 then stick with the 62 just for packaging, but the 90 isn't much bigger. Plus, that rotating mass is being rotated much slower with a bigger blower, which also leads to less belt slip due to a larger pulley.

[Edited on 9/8/13 by PhillipM]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/8/13 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
I've just put an M112 on a 2 litre engine, efficiency wise a 90 or a 112 are pretty good compared to overspinning a 62.
Obviously if you only want ~200-275 then stick with the 62 just for packaging, but the 90 isn't much bigger. Plus, that rotating mass is being rotated much slower with a bigger blower, which also leads to less belt slip due to a larger pulley.

[Edited on 9/8/13 by PhillipM]

Phillip, i think your spot on with that! I'm building a full race zetec for an auto grass car at the moment using an M112 geared for around 20psi, it's much better to run a big blower under geared than a small blower over geared. We have mapped several supercharged MX5s, some with the small Mini blower and some with M62, running the same boost the M62 always makes more power as the charge temp is generally lower plus belt slip us less of and issue.

The OEMs normally go for a small blower for package size and cost, plus most stock SC systems run less than 1bar.

We have found that an M90 is only just big enough for a rover 3.9 v8 running 8psi, even then you are at the top end if the blower rpm limit.

An M90 is ideal for a stock zetec 2.0, the stock engine will withstand 280bhp without any mods.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PhillipM

posted on 9/8/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, the other thing is manufacturers are usually more interested in what the car will drive like at low to mid-rpms, at part throttle, as that's where most of them will spend 99% of their time, so the smaller charger is often ideal there, even if it means the upper half of the rpm is compromised.
coyoteboy

posted on 9/8/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Fair points, but still seems like massive overkill (even when looking at Eaton's own advice on the matter?)

Personally I think running any kind of forced induction without cooling is a bit mental, so charge temps are less of a concern (and more of a packaging problem) but the efficiency does indeed suffer if you stay small and spin fast.

Thing is, I'd never use a supercharger for a peak power or sustained high revs car, it's not the task they're suited to - that's why god invented turbos. Superchargers give nice, solid, reliable torque at all revs, at some peak power cost - it's what they're good at. IF you want to to push peak power output I can't imagine why you'd use a SC.

PhillipM

posted on 9/8/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Some of us don't like turbo lag.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 9/8/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed about the cooling, intercooler is the way to go if space allows, if not water injection.
The oversized blower under driven will heat the air less than a smaller blower over driven.
The eaton info on the web is obviously accurate, but our experience is bigger the better, maybe low rpm boost is slightly less with big SC but hardly noticeable. We tend not to de-compress the engine too much do the throttle response and mpg remains good.

Agreed about the turbo, for top end power a turbo is the way to go every time, we have seen over 500bhp from a zetec turbo charged, I'm hoping for the same sort of power from my M112 blown zetec if I can get it working spot on!

coyoteboy

posted on 9/8/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Pretty much not a problem any more with variable geometry turbos these days, if used right (I hear, never tried tuning one to be fair). However, I'd agree and would be using a SC on my V8 if anything, im hoping I won't need it with at least 300hp from it N/A.

[Edited on 9/8/13 by coyoteboy]

PhillipM

posted on 9/8/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
It might not be much of an issue, but it's still there, I hate it, especially for the racing we do where you're on and off the throttle all the time trying to find grip.
MikeRJ

posted on 10/8/13 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Pretty much not a problem any more with variable geometry turbos these days, if used right (I hear, never tried tuning one to be fair). However, I'd agree and would be using a SC on my V8 if anything, im hoping I won't need it with at least 300hp from it N/A.

[Edited on 9/8/13 by coyoteboy]

VNG doesn't prevent lag, but is does lower the boost threshold.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.