Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT : Kindle - what's the difference?
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
OT : Kindle - what's the difference?

I've been getting into a spot of holiday reading recently and am thinking about treating myself to a kindle - something that I can read on in the sun light.

I've had a look around and there are so many different types; kindle, kindle fire, HD etc etc I don't know what's what.

Firstly, can you read on them I the sunlight?
Who's got one and would you recommend it?
Which one to buy?

I don't want to spend very much because it might be a 5 minute wonder (I've a history of 5 minute wonders)

I only want to use it as a book replacement as a book can be quite heavy in the luggage and you have to prepare your read(s) upfront.
I already have an iPad but if you can download a video on it to watch on the plane this may be beneficial.

I've been using the kindle app on the iPad and iPhone which is really convenient, but isn't very good in the sun.

Any advice appreciated.

NigeEss

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle Fire is a proper tablet.

If it's purely for reading then the traditional Kindle keyboard or the latest version Kindle Paperwhite. Readable
in bright sun, small and light.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Bare

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bought one once. Used it for a week mebe 2.. then totally forgot about it.
I received a Kindle fire HD for Xmass.. I tried it for a week or 2 then returned it. These come with a month's no questions refund policy... mercifully.
Utterly useless time waster IMO.

[Edited on 14/8/13 by Bare]

blakep82

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Kindle fire and fire hd are both tablets, with screen like your ipad. Seeing as you have an ipad, the plain kindle would be the one. Best thing to do really, get to a shop with them on display (pc world for example) and you'll see the difference.
Kindle is more like looking at the page of a book

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had a kindle fire HD for all of about an hour before it was put back in the box.

it was nice to look at reading in sunlight seemed ok, but for me the fact thing was so heavily geared to sending you to amazon's site at every turn to try to relieve you of your cash at every opportunity and ad's galore it just F**ked me off too much, sent it back for a refund.

Ended up with a Nexus 7 from google, rooted it using wugfresh's tool (open the thing up even more) I think it is a great choice, takes any format ebook, its an easy read in sunlight for me anyway.

After the ease of use with a touch screen I found myself trying to scroll with my finger on the screen on my desktop !!

android is stable enough and integrated with my desk top simply enough too.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

SteveWalker

posted on 14/8/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Kobo, which I chose because it will work with the epub format, so I can download five books at a time from the local library service. Kindle didn't do epubs when I got mine and I don't know if they do yet.
YQUSTA

posted on 14/8/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Paperwhite is the best for reading in sunlight.

I just use my Ipad as I have one, but bought the wife the Paperwhite and it is very light and a good screen on it.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

ReMan

posted on 14/8/13 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
Paperwhite is the best for reading in sunlight.

I just use my Ipad as I have one, but bought the wife the Paperwhite and it is very light and a good screen on it.

Ditto at the weekend just gone, Well actually she owns both but for the same reasons
The ipad makes a very loud bang as it hits the floor when she goes to sleep in bed reading it, the paper white , merely a small tap

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/8/13 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
The Wife bought me a Kindle a couple of years ago as I travel overseas a lot and as already said, books are heavy. I don't use it all the time, but I'm glad of it when I do. I have a lot of my work documents and training manuals on there and although it's a little awkward for zooming in to diagrams etc. it is useable.

I did think of getting the paperwhite, but to be honest, for the money I don't think I would see that much benefit.

You can probably get the earlier Kindle pretty cheap now I would think as there are so many upgrades and other makes.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/13 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Paper White would be my choice, the HD has a terrific display but it is getting away from the real purpose of buying a Kindle rather an tablet, too many distractions.

Before going on holiday I email PDF copies of my booking invoice to my Kindle .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
if you just want to read books on it the paperwhite one would be my choice these days - but the normal one is fine too (just no backlight)

my GF has had the bog std. version for a while now - she's gone from reading 6 books a year to 2 books a month or more !

personally I'd still rather have real paper because I like feel of it - but the kindle is just as easy to read

[Edited on 15/8/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Mikef

posted on 15/8/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Std Kindle is the best for reading , certainly in sunlight. I have had one for a couple of years , and it goes every where with me. Excellent product.

MF

D Beddows

posted on 15/8/13 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Kobo - basically because it was £60 rather than £100 It's pretty basic and not worth more than £60 tbh but it has a 'paperwhite' type touch screen, wifi etc and works perfectly well for reading books. The only thing I wish it had was a 'page turning' transition rather than just sliding between pages ( just makes readers look more 'polished' to me ) but that's hardly a big deal really
David Jenkins

posted on 15/8/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
There's a Kindle app if you've already got an Android smartphone or a tablet - I use mine all the time on a Nexus 7 tablet. I used to use it on my smartphone, and it was usable even though the screen is small, but the app got too big for my antique phone - I ran out of memory!

The only downside is that phones/tablets aren't easy to read in bright light (proper Kindles are far better) and their batteries doesn't last anywhere near as long. The upside is that the app is free!

There are other Android book reading apps available - I also have FBReader, which I use to read loads of free books off the net.

[Edited on 15/8/13 by David Jenkins]

D Beddows

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
In terms of Android apps I really like Cool Reader - something with a paperwhite screen just running that would actually probably be my ideal device in fact
MikeRJ

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
My wife bought me the Kindle keyboard version about 2 years ago and I have read about 150 books on it. With the possible exception of my phone, it is the most used electronic device I own and if I lost it or it was broken I'd buy another tomorrow. The display is incomparably better than a iPad/Android tablet for reading.

I have the 3G version which allows me to buy and download books directly from the device anywhere in the world where there is 3G reception (works on WiFi as well). It can also check emails and do (very) basic web browsing, though I don't often use these features. The built in dictionary is very handy though, simply move the cursor to the word you are interested in and the definition will pop up.

The lack of ePub compatibility is not a major issue. The free, and rather excellent Calibre software will convert ePubs into the Kindle 'Mobi' format and send it directly to your Kindle via it's email address or simply through the USB connection. It does a huge amount more than this as well (includes a database for your books, adding book meta-data, modifying formatting, ebook viewer, online news downloads to your Kindle etc.) and is an essential download if you are an avid e-Reader user (supports most other e-Readers as well as Kindle).

[Edited on 15/8/13 by MikeRJ]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info chaps.

I was sold on the comments from ReMan:

quote:

The ipad makes a very loud bang as it hits the floor when she goes to sleep in bed reading it, the paper white , merely a small tap

SWMBO will be pleased.

So.... I'm just off to Amazon now to make a purchase !

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/13 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Re Kindle Apps and Kindle Cloud Reader I find changing the paper colour to Sepia makes it a lot easier to read.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

PhillipM

posted on 15/8/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I loved the kindles, but after having 3 of them fail shortly after the warranty ran out, I've ditched them and bought a Nook instead, which was far cheaper, faster and has a better interface.

If you look on the 'net there a shitload of issues with Kindles.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhillipM
I loved the kindles, but after having 3 of them fail shortly after the warranty ran out, I've ditched them and bought a Nook instead, which was far cheaper, faster and has a better interface.

If you look on the 'net there a shitload of issues with Kindles.

And also a very large number of disgruntled Nook and Kobo owners! My dad had two Kobo readers where the touch screen stopped working completely (a common fault on these), and now has a Kindle. I'm not keen on touchscreen readers to be honest, much prefer a button to click to go forward or back through the pages, but they are more compact.

My wife's Kindle is a second generation 3G device I bought from the USA (as they weren't available here at the time) and has been given a heavy workout since 2009 with no issues. Admittedly mine has developed a tiny crack on the plastic case in one corner of the screen aperture which is known issue on the 4th gen keyboard version, but it doesn't affect it's use.

PhillipM

posted on 15/8/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had two batteries die and one screen just suddenly stop working on the bottom half, all of which had been looked after.
craig1410

posted on 16/8/13 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I find kindle's flashing between pages to be hugely irritating and they are generally of very limited usefulness. Only plus side is that they are unlikely to be stolen...

I read all the time on holiday (eg Tenerife in July last year with sun directly overhead) either using my iPhone or iPad and don't have any problems. I either lie back and listen to audiobooks on the iPhone or use the iPad with my polarised sunglasses on, which reduces reflections a lot. I'd far rather attempt to overcome a few reflections than have to endure reading on an etch-a-sketch...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.