Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GOD DAM KIT CARS
AndyW

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
GOD DAM KIT CARS

IVA now less than 1 week away and I seem to have the BLOOMIN car in more bits than when I started. Been out to the garage tonight and seemed to cause more problems, make things worse and now gave up. If things don't improve over the weekend I will cancel my IVA on Monday morning.

Took off non IVA steering wheel, now cant get sierra one to fit.
Gear lever gaiter does not fit as lever has so much throw, leaving nice big hole in tunnel uncovered.
Need to rip off under dash cover to disconnect ecu for chassis plate welding, then need to re-do under dash cover
I just about give up, I'm done, that's it. Enough money wasted

Its times like this when I really hate this pile of scrap

Goodnight

big_wasa

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you get the earth clamp close to the bit your welding just take the live of the battery, the ecu will be fine.

Done this lots of times.

How big is the tunnel ? that gator covered my tunnel from edge to edge.

Davegtst

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote

AndyW

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
As long as you get the earth clamp close to the bit your welding just take the live of the battery, the ecu will be fine.

Done this lots of times.

How big is the tunnel ? that gator covered my tunnel from edge to edge.

it covers the hole but as soon as you select 1st or second it just pulls it away as the lever has a long throw. Maybe I need to modify the lever?

Off to bed to lay awake thinking about it now. I will try again tomorrow

Oh and thanks for the vid Dave!

ali f27

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Push the gaiter down the stick to restrict movement
daniel mason

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
or a bigger hole in the top of the gaiter!

ali f27

posted on 16/8/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
rivet chassis plate on or stamp into chassis keep going will be worth it
nick205

posted on 16/8/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Push on and don't give up this close!

Seriously, you've done the hard work in building the car. The feeling you get when you roll out on that first run fully road legal and plated up is immense.

Dusty

posted on 16/8/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra wheel may need key in ignition lock and turned to release the steering lock so the wheel goes on. May also need you to slacken off the clamp where the triangular bit of the steering column is held to the lower end ball joint of the column. Gives movement to allow the column to pull up when you tighten the big nut at the top.

Keep at it.

[Edited on 16/8/13 by Dusty]

Andybarbet

posted on 16/8/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think i have a sierra original gearstick rubber gator here in sunny stevenage if you want to borrow it for a while ?

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

GonzoRacer

posted on 16/8/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
You had Sir Winston, we had Teddy--

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

[Edited on 16/8/13 by GonzoRacer]

"And it wasn't even a full moon."

coyoteboy

posted on 22/8/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Come on, buck up. I've got more work to put into my tin-top just to get it through the next MOT!

(4 spherical bush replacements in rear suspension arms, two bent alloys and a knackered tyre, plus it could do with a respray).
Having:
Replaced all struts with coilovers, all strut mounts with pillowballs, replaced two large body panels and welded 100x700mm sill patches, fillered and sprayed. fixed and fillered/sprayed a rusty boot which involves removal of cosmetic panels and spoiler. Re-wired half the dash and strip and re-build the megasquirt so it's not a mess of soldering.

All while working a 60 hour week.

Trust me, yours will be far more fun afterwards even so!

[Edited on 22/8/13 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.