Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Back from 2004!
dai1983

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Back from 2004!

Hi!

I joined the site nearly ten years ago as I was seduced by the "build a 7 car on the cheap" book. I actually ordered a kit and bought carbs, c20xe, seats, 13 inch supites and broke a donor sierra. Then some local scumbags broke into my single garage and stole my tools. Dad persuaded me to cancel the kit as it wouldn't be safe left alone by the local idiots and he considered it dangerous.

Logically (or not) I took my bike test and have had a few sports bike since. I've also found a wife and we have a young boy who is my world. I've always wanted a kit car and look on jealously when I see one go by. My son is too young to go on the bike and to be honest I have lost the love for two wheels since becoming a responsible adult. My taste in cars has also changed as I fancy a more full bodied car such as a Fury/mev replicar/j15. Not locost choices but this forum is a mine of information and I thought I would say hello. Again...

JoelP

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Similar to my story, except I never left, and didn't take up bikes! But welcome back anyway.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bi22le

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bad times, and welcome back old timer.

I nearly didnt bother getting another kit when i smashed my pride and joy to bits with an armco. I had only owned it about a month or so.

But I waited untill the next winter, searched hard and am mege glad I brought one. Im 3 years further on and with a little one my self now I simply would not be able to convince the other half. Instead, she comes camping with me when I go to far and distant tracks for track days.

Happy times!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 20/8/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome back...now get busy building

dai1983

posted on 21/8/13 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome back! The hard part is deciding what to build. I keep changing my mind all the time. Need to go to a show and see what's about
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/8/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Love the, dad considered the car dangerous so I got a motorbike instead....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 21/8/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome back. Sounds like a Fury with a bike engine would be a perfect fit.

Are you thinking of building or buyinng? With the IVA and registration costs and complications, it's often advised these days that, buying a built car, getting some use out of it while working out what you like and don't about it and then rebuilding to your spec' is a good a better idea than building from scratch.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/8/13 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Welcome back. Sounds like a Fury with a bike engine would be a perfect fit.

Are you thinking of building or buyinng? With the IVA and registration costs and complications, it's often advised these days that, buying a built car, getting some use out of it while working out what you like and don't about it and then rebuilding to your spec' is a good a better idea than building from scratch.

Also chances are you'll buy one vastly less than it cost to build

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/8/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome back

I agree with the above regarding the IVA, it's a nause and damned expensive (especially when it takes 2 goes like mine did ).

I scratch-built and IVA'd, glad I did, but would not do it again, my next one will be an already registered project

Good luck with whatever you choose, and lots of pics please

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

dai1983

posted on 21/8/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Yeah he was also having kittens about me buying an Exige in 2009 and was releived when I bought a sensible car and a Ducati instead! Even funnier was that I planned all of this when in Afganistan.

I have considered buying built but again I am unsure if I want front engined or mid hence the interest in a J15. Also full bodied cars seem to be rare second hand. I have access to a pretty decent workshop and handy with tools so that's not a problem.

As ill be using it on the road I'd rather a car engine to be honest as I'd just worry about the bike gearbox.

adithorp

posted on 21/8/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Six years of road, track and European touring abuse so far on my R1 powered car with no ill effects. Don't believe all the propaganda put out by the BEC haters; They're not as fragile as some people would have you believe.

dai1983

posted on 21/8/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fair one. Guess I will have to try and get my bum in a couple of cars to make my mind up.
adithorp

posted on 21/8/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
your location to your profile and you might get some offers of rides. If you can get to Donington show this Sat/Sun you might blag a ride or two.

dai1983

posted on 21/8/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's north west Devon. Arse end of nowhere but it's a nice place to live. Am planning on going to Exeter later in the year so hopefully it will be decent.
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 21/8/13 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Welcome back...

My dad didn't want me to have a dangerous air rifle, so allowed me a 4' 6" recurve bow...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.