Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flat battery when hot, good when cold?
AndyW

posted on 24/8/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Flat battery when hot, good when cold?

Quick Saturday question.

Car starts perfect when cold, when been running for ages and is nice and hot it, wont start, battery totally flat, car then cools down, i.e been off for a while and starts perfect again.

Could it be a case of simply not properly charged or a dodgy earth somewhere?

Ta

Andy

unijacko67

posted on 24/8/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
More likely to be starter or tight engine when hot. Try full beam when cold and hot to see if it is battery. My pinto used to do it 25 years ago. What engine ?

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 24/8/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Is it charging ok? Just wondering if its over charging and boiling the battery??

First thing to check mate.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 24/8/13 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unijacko67
More likely to be starter or tight engine when hot. Try full beam when cold and hot to see if it is battery. My pinto used to do it 25 years ago. What engine ?

2.0 zetec

snowy2

posted on 24/8/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
sometimes caused by knackered ignition timing module giving full advance when hot reguardless of engine revs

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

britishtrident

posted on 24/8/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Ignition has too much advance at cranking rpm and is trying to start backwards against the starter.

A common problem especially on Fords what ignition system are you running ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Smoking Frog

posted on 24/8/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Had this once on a XR3 CVH engine I think it was the starter internally expanding due to the heat. It just seemed as though the battery was flat when the engine was hot. Very inconvenient at the petrol station where you have to switch it off to open the fuel filler then wait 20 mins until it cooled down. After weeks of head scratching tried another old starter and it solved the problem. Not sure which side the starter is on the zetec, if it's near the exhaust manifold, but it's something else to check.
David Jenkins

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar effect recently: started OK when cold, barely turned over when hot.

Worried about it, kept think of all the horrible things it could be, but it turned out to be just a loose connection on the starter solenoid (high current side). Don't know why it behaved differently hot or cold, but now it's tightened up the engine turns over smartly no matter what the engine temp.

I'd go through all of the high-current connections to the starter, and the lead from the battery to the chassis, making sure everything is clean and tight. It's a zero cost check, won't take long, and it'll be one possibility ticked off if that isn't the problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.