Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt ignition problem
clairetoo

posted on 24/8/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt ignition problem

I've been having a bit of trouble mapping my Mx5 - Ms1/extra + edis - with poor fuel consumption and constant spitting back through the throttle bodies .
While trying a bit of mapping with a fresh ignition map , I noticed something odd - while the ecu is following the map , the actual timing isnt ?
It got so bad that timing at tickover dropped from 13 degrees to less than 8 , lots of pops and spits , and revving would only get about 12 degrees when the map was showing 28...........
I've swapped the edis for a known working one , and no change - WTF is going on ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

dave_424

posted on 24/8/13 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about EDIS with megasquirt, however there is a setting called "tooth number 1 offset" which you have to adjust so that the number in the spark table is the actual timing that is getting to the engine. I would suggest setting the ignition timing to fixed at 0 degrees, then with the fuel pump and injectors disabled, turn the engine over with a timing light and make sure that the timing marks are lining up.

With that all checked, make sure in megasquirt that all your sensors are reading correct, because there are certain values that can change the ignition timing e.g. too high IAT will retard timing, too low coolant temp will engage cold advance that will advance timing etc.

Feel free to email me your .msq tune file and also see if you can get a datalog of when things are going wrong and send that as well.

Dave_424@hotmail.co.uk

Dave

r1_pete

posted on 24/8/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the SAW signal is either not being produced, corrupted, or not getting to the edis.

If you disconnect the saw pin, you should get a constant 10 degrees limp home advance.

Check your connections, and the air gap between the trigger wheel and sensor, the latter may not be an issue if you are seeing condition changes in megatune.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
ditch the edis and run the bip373's

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dave_424

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
BIP would be my choice and did that on my set up, however EDIS will do a limp home 10 degree timing which would be useful on a road car.
clairetoo

posted on 26/8/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well.............I checked the timing (even as far as pulling a spark plug to check the TDC mark) and it was good - but it was still spitting back and not wanting to tick over .
So I hit autotune on the laptop - and went for a drive . It immediately richened up most of the map and started to run a whole load better . Which was odd , because it was running fine before .
I still dont know what was wrong with it - every time I have tried to auto tune it before , it has leaned off to the point of barely running ?

Oh well - better just enjoy it while the sun shines

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

JPSeuropa

posted on 27/8/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you may be on the right track, but post a log and msq either here or on the MSextra forums so that there is DATA!
clairetoo

posted on 27/8/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I had some idea how to do that - computers are not my speciality , plus I cant work out how to connect my tuning laptop to the internet........

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

snapper

posted on 27/8/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Put USB memory stick in tuning computer
Copy map/data to that
Plug USB stick into Internet computer save to folder

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

BaileyPerformance

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you have your trigger wheel fitted correctly? We see loads aligned incorrectly.

Also check the ignition setting in tuner studio, from memory should be INVERTED and RISING EDGE. Set dwell to FIXED DUTY.

Trigger logs are of little help when using Edis as the trigger is just a pulse.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shaunod

posted on 12/9/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you are getting 'chirps' back through your throttle bodies you may well have an air leak / balancing issue on the throttle bodies ... that would also explain the change in fueling.

Also check that your air temp is reading correctly .. if it reads really high it will lean the mixture considerably, it thinks the air is really hot and therefore less dense.

Shaun

daxtojeiro

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
It could be that the wideband output settings are not actually giving the ECU what it expects to get. MS1 is a weird beast for getting AFR and Temperature measurements into it, as the displayed values are not the values the ECU see's.
We had to use inc files to convert the ADC to a real time value.

I would check the settings in Tuner Studio (Project Properties) and the output settings for the wideband to ensure they match.
Also that the AFR table is enabled.
See my help files on my site for info on how to do these checks,
Phil

[Edited on 12/9/13 by daxtojeiro]

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/9/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daxtojeiro
It could be that the wideband output settings are not actually giving the ECU what it expects to get. MS1 is a weird beast for getting AFR and Temperature measurements into it, as the displayed values are not the values the ECU see's.
We had to use inc files to convert the ADC to a real time value.

[Edited on 12/9/13 by daxtojeiro]

Agreed, Ms2 is so much nicer in that regard.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.