Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: skidplate material.
StrikerChris

posted on 24/8/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
skidplate material.

I have a skidplate to protect my bellhousing as its the lowest bit of the car.to be honest it only really hits the deck landing after getting abit of air, and is only really to stop abrupt bangs if theres a brick in the road or something I dont see.made it out of 5mm alu but I think its done its job and is now past its best.any ideas on a hard wearing thin material I can put over it (cant afford to loose anymore clearance) or is it just make one out of 1/4" steel and sod the extra weight?

Cheers

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 24/8/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Made mine from 5mm steel, and yep, sod the weight. Think of the aggro of a holed sump let alone potential engine damage for the sake of a couple of pound.

ATB

Simon

PhillipM

posted on 24/8/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
We use 3mm 6082 for the general skidpans, then 5mm on either end where they get bashed more by rocks, the centre that often rubs on the ruts has 4mm of UHDPE bolted on which is hardwearing, low friction and cheap to replace.
StrikerChris

posted on 24/8/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cheers.i have no idea what grade my alu was so I might try and ahem think of a job in work that needs a sheet of 6082.cant see uhdpe lasting 5 minutes to be honest.trying to steer away from steel as I don't really want sparks flying towards tje tank but if needs must I'll have to go that direction.

Cheers

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PhillipM

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
You use the UHMWPE as a replacable section over the top of the aluminium, just use a strip, it takes some of the shock out of hits and it slides well. It actually lasts pretty well, some of the rock crawlers/KOH machines in the 'states use just the UHMWPE and no backing plates and get years of use out of it.
ashg

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
whats your ground clearance that looks scary low. can you not move the engine and box up an inch or two.

i have 120mm ground clearance and my bell housing is about an inch lower so around 95mm off the ground and i can still manage to get it to touch down if im really going for it.

edit. also dont like the look of your clutch pipe being lower than the chassis it looks like its begging to catch on something.

[Edited on 24/8/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

loggyboy

posted on 24/8/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
looks very low indeed, what lump is that? Zetec?

mines a fair bit higher

(ally sump has since been trimmed of course)

[Edited on 24-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

StrikerChris

posted on 24/8/13 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sr20det. Its about 2 fat fingers or 3 thin ones off the ground. Not as much of a problem as you might think probably only hit the deck hard about 5 times in 10k miles.its not far off the axel line so if the throttle is nailed at the right point speed bumps are ok and rarely bottoms out unless in full on hooligan mode on a road I dont know. Just dont want to wear the teeth off my flywheel if ut wears much more!
StrikerChris

posted on 24/8/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
looks very low indeed, what lump is that? Zetec?

mines a fair bit higher

(ally sump has since been trimmed of course)

[Edited on 24-8-13 by loggyboy]

I drove my old landy from lemans to wrexham with no clutch, I can cope with loosing that lol.as said before uts not often an issue but its about time to sort a new plate out and doung that every year isnt the end of the world but if theres something better wearing out there ill do my best to lay my hands on it for the next one!

StrikerChris

posted on 24/8/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I apologise for my spelling. I was using a phone which appears to change my I's to u's!
coozer

posted on 24/8/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fasten some 2" x 2" x 12" long wood on the chassis to act as skid plates.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sam919

posted on 26/11/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
Sr20det. Its about 2 fat fingers o

Fat fingers shouldnt be anywhere near there, let alone two?!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.