Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Having 'one of those days'
Slimy38

posted on 9/9/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Having 'one of those days'

I've been stripping more of the donor, this evening was separating the two subframes by removing the powerplant frame attaching the two subframes (MX5 donor). The rear bolts were trouble, but I eventually got them open. Then I moved to the front ones...

They were bolted on to the gearbox by what looked like quite substantial nuts. So I got a breaker bar and started pulling. Absolutely no movement. Next job was to give them a scrub and see what was going on. It turned out they were welded to a plate of some kind. It looked really odd, I'd never seen anything quite like it. Would I have to break the welds? Would I have to chop up the plate?

Ten minutes of thinking later, I wondered what it would have been like if it was still on the car. Then I realised I would actually be going in from UNDERNEATH...

Yep, I had actually been able to undo the captive nuts that were deliberately welded in place, when I should have been undoing the bolts that went into them from underneath. And guess what? They came out first time...

mookaloid

posted on 9/9/13 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

fimi7

posted on 9/9/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Been there done that.

Spent a couple hours late one sunday night fighting with a set of uprights off the car. Then early monday morning was awake with the thought, hmmmm???, could I have been tightening instead of loosening?

Ran downstairs, into the garage at 3am, with a simple one hand pull the stupid thing came right off.. GRRRRRR!!!!

Sometimes you just gotta know when to take a break.

--- Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.