Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LDV Maxus (Part 2)
david_hornet27

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
LDV Maxus (Part 2)

Got some good info on here last time about my van so thought I'd try again...

Although I am reasonably handy with a spanner with petrol engines I know nothing really about diesels, and even less about turbos. This is not good when you have a diesel turbo van that you rely on for work that seems to be a constant PITA.

Engine seems sound and it drives as it should. My problem is it is burning oil (blue smoke) at a rate of max to min on the dipstick in around a couple of hundred miles.

Also it bellows lots of black smoke when accelerating any more than gently.

So far I have only had a very quick look under the bonnet and assume the turbo is somewhere at the back of the engine buried beneath the heat shield for the exhaust manifold. There does seem to be dried up oil in that area and my plan tomorrow is to get to that area properly and have a good look.

I was hoping the Locostbuilders collective knowledge could give me an idea of what to look for, and what the problem might be.

Thanks in advance.

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

dimlaz

posted on 15/9/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
Check your diesel high pressure pump first.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/9/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
If it's burning oil to that extent then it's either turbo seals (most likely) or damaged bore/piston. You need to get this checked out before you get the engine running away.

Black smoke means too much fuel for the amount of air, and can be caused by lack of boost which may tie into turbo problems.

bigrich

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the inlet air tube breather has melted and blocked. This was rectified with a metal ferule then a modified pipe. If you follow the plastic hose from the airbox bacck towards the turbo there is a breather hose from the cam housing joined to it. Remove the hose and checf the inlet stub isnt split or blocked in any way. If it is thats your problem. Changed hundreds since 2004 when they brought out maxus. If you need any technical advise Ring me at work Chatfields of Sheffield ask for Richard Moorcroft will u2u my number

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.