Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Down sizing from 17" alloys?
Moorron

posted on 17/9/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Down sizing from 17" alloys?

Hi guys since I bought my MK Indy way back in 2005 with its 17" alloys which I am now looking at getting some new tires for and think it may be better to go for some 15" 1.2 or similar alloys. But I wanted to know if the handling and feel of the car is much better running on them as everyone seems to say here the smaller the wheel the better.

My car handles fine, its a little snappy but I don't mind it after 7 years of ownership but will the 15's with higher profile tires improve the cars feel and with lighter wheels and less rotating mass be as noticeable?

I run Avon ZZ3's on the rear and have some unknown brand on the fronts which I have never replaced (so at least 7 years old). I was looking at some road legal slick in my fitment for the 17" wheels, 215/40 and 205/40 but they cost as much as a whole set of 15" alloys with road tires and this is now the ideal time to change.

Any tips welcome, I see the thread about Westfield's deal which is right next to my place of work. Tempting.

Many thanks

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Wadders

posted on 17/9/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well someone is bound to say it, so might as well be me ..... 13" 13" 13" 13"
bi22le

posted on 17/9/13 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
True in all that you say. There has been some good back to back comparrisons done on here by people that have changed. Do a search and have a read.

I have only had 14" which I dont recommend. You cant get T1R and other commonly good tyres in that size.

Personally I would like 15" for the road and 13" track.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Worzey

posted on 18/9/13 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
My Velocity had 17" wheels when I purchased it. Looked great, the handling was terrible.

I swapped them for 15" Team Dynamics and it transformed the car. The difference in mass is very noticable. The ride is much more compliant and doesnt feel like the car was trying to throw me over the nearest hedge on country lane blats. Following the wheel upgrade I've replaced the front vented discs and callipers (Wilwood) and upgraded to R888's to reduce unsprung weight and improve grip. I now have a very sweet handling car

Ideally I would have gone for 13" but I needed the clearance over the callipers. 14" would also work but 15" wheels and tyres proved easier to source.

Don't delay, make the change

Caterham R400

dhutch

posted on 18/9/13 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've not done the comparison but I would expect the main things you would get would be the improved comfort and the increase in progressiveness, ie, a more controlled loss of grip when pushing the limits, rather than snappy loss of grip.

At which point, I dont understand why people would have 15inch for the road 13inch for the track.

I fully understand why 13inch is so common on track, but equally would expect it to be the otherway round if you where going to have any differential between the two.

Unless your doing it totally for looks, which while an personaly thing is in my book not the look I associate with a kitcar nor the proraty I would be placing on one.

Daniel

Not Anumber

posted on 18/9/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got 15" Team Dynamics with Toyo Proxies and am looking to change over to 13" steel wheels with higher profile tyres.

IMHO they win on handling, comfort on the road and classic looks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.