Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: am I being unreasonable?
sdh2903

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
OT: am I being unreasonable?

We are currently looking to move house, I'm currently away with work but the mrs has started drawing up short lists and has done a couple of viewings in preparation for my return. Now she has found 2 that she really likes and would suit our needs. My only requirement for any new house is there has to be space for a double garage, doesn't have to have one there just the potential for one in future.

The 2 houses she currently has on her list only have a single garage built into the house (which in my experience are even smaller than standard single garages).

So my question (to a biased audience) am I being unreasonable with my demands or do I compromise?

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
no
femster87

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nooo way
40inches

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely not

MikeCapon

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
You're asking this question to a few thousand petrol heads. What reply other than NO WAY do you expect?

Try the same question on sewingcircle.com for a balanced view

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
not at all. i would imagine the short listed propertys have all your other half wants or requires or they wouldnt be on the list. I think maybe you need to view the propertys too and see if they are good enough to warrent the compromise in garage space, or find time/wait till you can both view together other houses

took 20+ viewings for us to find the right house for our needs, moving in 6 weeks or so

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

sdh2903

posted on 20/9/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol heads yes, but we all have toy cars which for us to have we have to keep swmbo happy as well.
big_wasa

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Haha like wise.

The house we both like has a double garage and space for a workshop

zetec

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on how many houses will have this in your target area...

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

andyace

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Give us the area and budget and let us find u one
mark chandler

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
No, it's a two way thing.

When we purchased this year my only criteria was a double garage, we looked a lots of houses to get the right one at the price we wanted.

I was surprised how few houses actually met this TBH, mine was advertised as a double, garage is 4m wide so two decent sized cars would be a struggle so I installed a lift so the little car sits above the Tin top now.

Regards Mark

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
The reasonable alternative is to fit patio doors to the living room and park the car there so can be admired (and kept in prestige condition)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Of course not, if you have such a requirements there's little point buying something unsuitable. My last letting agent was like that, took loads of details from me then offered lots of places that in no way matched.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ReMan

posted on 20/9/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
As said my next move will be a minimum of a double, preferably space for a proper workshop as well

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mookaloid

posted on 20/9/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's only one thing and you are letting her have all her own way on the house bit so I think that you are being more than reasonable

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/9/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tell her garages are too technical anyway and that she should concentrate on simple things like which washing up liquid to use etc

b14wrc

posted on 20/9/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I like me Whippy's thinking!

20vt powered rear engined locost

b14wrc

posted on 20/9/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was talking about the patio door part by the way. Lol

20vt powered rear engined locost

scudderfish

posted on 20/9/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Now she has found 2 that she really likes and would suit her needs

Fixed that for you.

sdh2903

posted on 20/9/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
All valid points even the patio door ones!

I just don't think swmbo was convinced I was being serious. She does now

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 20/9/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

Now she has found 2 that she really likes and would suit her needs

Fixed that for you.

+1

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

nick205

posted on 20/9/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Integral garages, single or double, are not ideal for a proper petrol head. The problem is they are always sat there looking ripe for a conversion to add more living space. This is not good! You need to guide her towards properties with a detached garage or space to build one to your specification.

thefreak

posted on 20/9/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Get a new missus! that's what I did!
When me and the missus were looking for a place together, we both said one of the requirements were a double garage. Only problem is they only usually come with bigger 4+ bed houses. So as a compromise we bought a 5 bed with double garage.
At the minute there's only the 3 of us plus Dave, but means we've got plenty of space to have friends over

On the flip side the ex wasn't interested in garage space, was more interested in gardens and sh1t. That's just more work and takes the time away from the garage!

[Edited on 20-9-13 by thefreak]

AntonUK

posted on 20/9/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same discussion and actually ended up with a much larger garage than i expected.

Although my commute increased from 10mins to 1 hour, while hers went the opposite.

Build Photos Here

Irony

posted on 20/9/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just moving house from a place with a large single garage to a place with smaller single. Annoyed by it but the missus just plain doesn't understand the whole garage thing. It just doesn't even enter her mind in anyway. Weird really as I said 'can you not see that this is important to me even if it means nothing to you'. I gave in eventually because we got the house for a good deal, she's paying the deposit (amazing huh!), we're having a baby and she is happy for me to keep the kit.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.