Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodgem
ChrisW

posted on 21/9/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Dodgem

Still on the lookout for a dodgem shell.

No running gear required. Any condition, any age.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 21/9/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I might be able to find you something, what with me being a travelling showman
What sort of price range are you looking at?
Do you need the base/chassis, or just the top bodyshell?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

T66

posted on 21/9/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Maxi engine, fiddle brakes built by my brother and his mate in the 1970s, what you got planned ?

ChrisW

posted on 25/9/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Similar idea, although I would like to keep the wheels underneath if at all possible so it still looks like a dodgem. It's for Le Mans campsite transport. I built a mobility scooter and took that last year, have got to up the game a little this year and always wanted to do a dodgem but haven't been able to get hold of a shell. There was one on eBay last week but it got removed at the last minute.

I'll want it to be petrol powered, probably a vertical shaft lawnmower engine if my assumptions about space are correct, although not sure how gearing/clutch would work in that case.

Ideally I would buy the top bodywork from a dodgem including the seat, bumper and steering column. I doubt I'll need the floor pan, chassis or whatever they have underneath, nor any of the running gear. I guess I'm hoping that I can build a basic four-wheel chassis in the right dimensions and then drop the shell over the top but in practice it may well not be that simple!

The ideal finished car would have the original seat in it so two people could fit at a squeeze, however if I end up having to put a car seat in it instead it's not the end of the world, but I doubt there would be enough width for two in that case.

Budget wise, I'm sure it goes without saying 'cheap as possible'. Keep in mind I'm probably going to have to cut and modify the shell so nothing rare, collectable, antique, whatever. I don't mind having to paint it, I don't mind if I have to get bits rechromed, etc. Ideally any lights would at least have the lenses but not the end of the world if not.

Here's the mobility scooter I built for Le Mans 2013...

My 110cc 4-speed mobility scooter
My 110cc 4-speed mobility scooter

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fha772

posted on 25/9/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
There's this 1 on EBay at the minute, it ends tomorrow, starting at £150 with no bids, which is fairly cheap for a complete body.
Item number: 271282063026

If you want a proper rubber bumper for round it, I'm sure I can find you an old 1 for nothing, or close to nothing.

ChrisW

posted on 25/9/13 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good spot, thanks! I'll keep an eye on that.

Would you be able to get hold of a replacement seat for it?

Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 26/9/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Got too expensive for me, I guess because it's already been refurbished and was already perfect for 'yard art'.

Anyone got one cluttering up their garage??

Chris

My gaff my rules

fha772

posted on 26/9/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have an ask round for you, what's your top budget?
I'll try to find 1 as cheap as I can, but it's handy to know what price range your playing with.

fha772

posted on 11/10/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Another body on eBay, I think you'll get it for £120-150

Item number: 331041607045

shane

posted on 22/3/14 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
dodgem

i am also look for a dodgem just need a bit work done to it and i need one send ireland to me i hope someone can help me please thank you
Nickp

posted on 23/3/14 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
It's for Le Mans campsite transport. I built a mobility scooter and took that last year, have got to up the game a little this year and always wanted to do a dodgem but haven't been able to get hold of a shell.

Was that yours going round the campsite with the speakers on the trailer??

Peteff

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few just abandoned I saw them in a youtube video. Might be a bit far to pick them up though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisW

posted on 23/3/14 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Was that yours going round the campsite with the speakers on the trailer?
Absolutely not! What a moron he was with that stereo.

Chris

[Edited on 23/3/2014 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

Nickp

posted on 23/3/14 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Was that yours going round the campsite with the speakers on the trailer?
Absolutely not! What a moron he was with that stereo.

Chris

[Edited on 23/3/2014 by ChrisW]

Ahhh, that's OK then

pewe

posted on 23/3/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Chris, just a thought and fairly local try these guys linky
HTH.
Cheeers, Pewe10

ChrisW

posted on 23/3/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a dodgem now Pewe, but thanks for the suggestion!

Yard art
Yard art

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

splitrivet

posted on 23/3/14 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
There are a few just abandoned I saw them in a youtube video. Might be a bit far to pick them up though.

Trouble with them Pete is bearing in mind where they are after picking em up you may grow an additional head.
Cheers,
Bob
PS I do know 2 heads are better than 1.

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

winchman

posted on 27/3/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yard art
Yard art

Cheers, Chris

That's a 1974 Reverchon Atlanta.
I have one the same, so how are you going to start?
Mine is to display our Daughters A level art but once its finished with it would be rude not to motorise it, but I need some ideas
As found

Now ready for Wrapping

ChrisW

posted on 28/3/14 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by winchman
quote:

Yard art
Yard art

Cheers, Chris

That's a 1974 Reverchon Atlanta.
I have one the same, so how are you going to start?
Mine is to display our Daughters A level art but once its finished with it would be rude not to motorise it, but I need some ideas

My plan is to use a mobility scooter front end. I'll probably have to widen it and move the steering column to one side, but the front 'axle' is just an RHS bar and the track rods are threaded rod so that shouldn't be too hard.

Plan is to use an 'upright' bike engine in the front and get it as far forward in the chassis as I can and in the centre. I'll then put a tunnel in for a chain which will come off the left side of the engine meaning the 'drivers side' footwell is wider than the passenger. Of course it will have a long chain so there will need to be idlers along it to stop it flapping around.

Then just a kart axle on the back same as on my mobility scooter. Someone on here (sorry, I've forgotten who!) turned up some adapters for me to fit mobility scooter wheels to kart hubs so I guess I'll go down that same line again. I have a piece of kart axle spare from the scooter and I have already done all the experimentation into rear sprockets and brakes on that project so might as well copy it.

I really wanted to get it done for Le Mans but I suspect I will run out of time for this year unfortunately.

On the subject of restoration, thanks to fha772 aka Frank I have found a company that will re-cover the seat foam on the sides, base and headrest. They don't have a mould for the back annoyingly. If you are interested in getting yours done we might be able to negotiate a multiple unit discount. Their current price is £120. They can also do the steering wheel too but I'm not planning on reusing mine.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

winchman

posted on 28/3/14 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply
I really wanted to keep the original dodgem floor etc but its looking like I will have to make a complete chassis as the current lay out has little space for an engine/motor etc.
The steering wheel I made this.

The foam on the dash pad thingy a local place mixed me a black flexible paint and it looks new now,
My seat is tatty but I was going to paint it and then glue any splits with black silicon.
The problem with Reverchon parts is they went bust, this company supply some bits but mainly the consumables, motors etc.
http://www.amusementparkspares.co.uk/
He tells me he gets a few people every week who have bought one to restore but once they find out the parts prices don't bother, The bumper tyres are near £400, steering wheels £100 etc a new Dodgem is £4500!.
The main thing is buy one with the best bits and nothing missing that you need.
Ours has spent the last 24 years near the sea and possibly the last 10 years as a flower bed so all the metal trims from the side and rear lights are missing or totally beyond repair but you can do with out them.
I thought about a lawn tractor?
Or one of the automatic Honda 50 engines?
Just struggling for a concept then I will be away

ali f27

posted on 28/3/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I belive theres a dutton v5 on here if you want to make it road legal
winchman

posted on 2/4/14 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well my shells at the Vinyl wrappers, just waiting for the call to collect.
Still thinking of fitting some sort of motor but need to source a cheap donor so any ideas, remember I have deep pockets and short arms.
I did see the German website were most people use the original motor and batteries but mine is missing and they cost a fortune well £400+, so that's a non starter

winchman

posted on 2/4/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its back

Just need to crack on with the rest so have a look in your sheds etc and see what you have to motorise this?
This place did the wrap.
http://www.vinylwise.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.