Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are Falken tyres OK?
v8kid

posted on 26/9/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Are Falken tyres OK?

Need new tyres on the tin top. XF's eat tyres they only lasted 18k!

Are Falken ZE914 ok? they are medium price and the stats look good - but so do they all

Any recommendations/ horror tales?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 26/9/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Had 912 ziex ze's quite a few times in recent years, found them to be a good midrange tyre.
Not tried the 914s though.

PS 18k on tyres is pretty good in my experience, depend on brand of course. But the Falkens wont last as well as say Michelins or high end pirellis.

[Edited on 26-9-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

DavidW

posted on 26/9/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had similar tyre issue when I had a BMW 530i doing lots of miles.

I found Falken FK452 tyres better than many more expensive tyres for wet and dry grip althouh the 912s didn't seem as good.

David

v8kid

posted on 26/9/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I got 30k out of tyres on the mondeo and never realised it was good!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 26/9/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW

I found Falken FK452 tyres better than many more expensive tyres for wet and dry grip althouh the 912s didn't seem as good.

David

Funny I found the opposite! on my IS200 the 452s lasted half as long as the 912s!

Mistral Motorsport

DavidW

posted on 26/9/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

David

Funny I found the opposite! on my IS200 the 452s lasted half as long as the 912s!

This possibly makes sense - I thought the 452s had better grip than the 912s but maybe they were softer. I can't really rememeber how they lasted.

mcerd1

posted on 26/9/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

depends how you drive and how hard the tyre compound is

as a general rule the ones with lower rolling resistance should also last you longer, but they might not give you same grip - the cheaper the tyre the more they compromise one or the other....

Michelins do seem to last longest in my experience, but you pay for it

once upon a time I was getting less than 6k from a set of front tyres (they were very small tyres and I worked them hard )
currently I get about 10 - 12k out of my front tyres on the focus with soft(ish) vredestein's and my mate gets 25 - 30k out of michelins on his astra (similar tyre size and car weight etc..)

-

loggyboy

posted on 26/9/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
This possibly makes sense - I thought the 452s had better grip than the 912s but maybe they were softer. I can't really rememeber how they lasted.

I didnt read you rpost correctly to be fair, i thought youd said the 452s lasted longer! lol doh.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 26/9/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

depends how you drive and how hard the tyre compound is

as a general rule the ones with lower rolling resistance should also last you longer, but they might not give you same grip - the cheaper the tyre the more they compromise one or the other....

Michelins do seem to last longest in my experience, but you pay for it

once upon a time I was getting less than 6k from a set of front tyres (they were very small tyres and I worked them hard )
currently I get about 10 - 12k out of my front tyres on the focus with soft(ish) vredestein's and my mate gets 25 - 30k out of michelins on his astra (similar tyre size and car weight etc..)

I used to manage ~8k on (fronts) on Bridgestone Potenza my old Leon Cupra diesel. It was a co. car and used very hard indeed . The Kwik Fit guys new my on first name terms as I was covering ~35k miles a year at the time.

mcerd1

posted on 26/9/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205I used to manage ~8k on (fronts) on Bridgestone Potenza my old Leon Cupra diesel. It was a co. car and used very hard indeed . The Kwik Fit guys new my on first name terms as I was covering ~35k miles a year at the time.

I wouldn't touch Kwik Fit with a barge pole....

but the local company I use doesn't even ask which ones or what size I want any more...
they just ask winter or summer ? and how many this time ? :lol:

-

nick205

posted on 26/9/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by nick205I used to manage ~8k on (fronts) on Bridgestone Potenza my old Leon Cupra diesel. It was a co. car and used very hard indeed . The Kwik Fit guys new my on first name terms as I was covering ~35k miles a year at the time.

I wouldn't touch Kwik Fit with a barge pole....

but the local company I use doesn't even ask which ones or what size I want any more...
they just ask winter or summer ? and how many this time ? :lol:

No choice on Kwik Fit as they had the contract with the vehicle lease company. They did what was required with minmal fuss so OK by me.

britishtrident

posted on 26/9/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the dark ages with the original Michelin X I know cases cases where a pair did 90,000 miles on the rear of Hillman Hunters and still had 1mm left and on the swing axle back of Mercedes fin-tail a pair that lasted 75,000 miles.

The more recent Michelin E is almost as long, 48,000 miles on the rear of Rovers and still OK for MOT in not unusual but they are lethal in the wet.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

keithjardine

posted on 26/9/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Not long put a full set of them on my Octavia VRS tdi 170bhp, it had conti sport 2's on previously.

Noise is no worse, not span off into the ditch either and MPG is slightly better (~5mpg) with these BUT they are narrower than the same profile continentals.......... 225/40/18 profile on the continentals is ~30mm wider than 225/40/18 profile on the falkens tread!

Decent tyres for the price and grip is comparable to the continentals but check the actual width, they have a rim protection bead but not as good as the continentals.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/9/13 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I put set on my SRT6 with 360bhp no problem, great tyres
stevebubs

posted on 26/9/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Had a couple of sets of 452s on my old E34 v8...superb tyres...but, as above, they don't last as long as the more premium makes...

[Edited on 26/9/13 by stevebubs]

matt_gsxr

posted on 26/9/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Got ze912's on my A6 2.0TDI.
Fronts have done 20k and are getting close to the wear bars. Rears have lots more left.
I bought from Black Circles.

Dry grip is good (compared to what was on before), wet grip not that great, seemed to work fine in the snow.

I would buy again based on cost, but my A6 is a motorway barge, so I am no tyre connoisseur.

snapper

posted on 26/9/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Got Falkens on my Mondeo, grip ok but more noisy than others

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

v8kid

posted on 26/9/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps I'll give them a go

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.