Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hayabusa clutch upgrade
b3ngy

posted on 13/10/13 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
hayabusa clutch upgrade

Afternoon chaps,

Just looking for some pointers on upgrading the clutch on my hayabusa powered mk. I'm not too clued up on bike engines and the products available for them.

Had a lot of clutch slip yesterday at keevil airfield which was not what I needed! As far as I know the clutch is still stock so I am looking at upgrading the springs. While I'm in there I'm going to inspect and measure the clutch plates and check the stack height, replacing as necessary.

Are there any other clutch components I should consider upgrading at this time to give me a reliable clutch???

Cheers, Ben

Jon Ison

posted on 13/10/13 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, make sure it's coming all the way off.
Andy B

posted on 13/10/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Full race Barnett springs, new oem plates and you should be back in business - if the clutch has been slipping drop and change the oil and filter as you will now be pumping a mixture of clutch friction material and oil around the lump which is a very low grade grinding paste!!
I have all the kit on the shelf but if you want to give me a call to discuss the mods the number at the unit is 01449 736633
Regards
Andy

b3ngy

posted on 13/10/13 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, I may give you shout later in the week once I have inspected the clutch plates so I can figure out everything I need in one hit.

cheers, Ben

GreigM

posted on 13/10/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b3ngy
Thanks Andy, I may give you shout later in the week once I have inspected the clutch plates so I can figure out everything I need in one hit.

cheers, Ben

Uprated springs should be enough - I've been tracking my busa for a couple of years now on the standard clutch and never experienced slip except when the clutch was reassembled incorrectly. Buy the genuine suzuki parts, I hear bad things about alternatives.

b3ngy

posted on 14/10/13 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, thanks for your input
b3ngy

posted on 14/10/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone give me some advice as to whether or not these clutch plates should be changed please???

This is the first steel plate at the front of the clutch, the pic is a bit rubbish but the dark areas represent blueing...which is on both sides. Is some blueing ok or should it be changed??

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

This is the last steel plate at the back of the clutch and is only on the aft face. There is no wear step present. Any good or should I replace it?

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

The rest of the clutch plates seem to be in good condition... any pointers appreciated.

b3ngy

posted on 15/10/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody??
Andy B

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
A simple check is to lay the steels on a dead flat surface then press on the plates at various points around the circumference to see if the plate lifts slightly anywhere- if so the heat has warped the plate and it needs replacing as it will cause issues if installed with new frictions
Andy

[Edited on 16/10/13 by Andy B]

b3ngy

posted on 16/10/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, I'll bring the steels into work tomorrow and check them on a surface table. I'm not going to be replacing the frictions as I have measured the thickness of all of them and they are within tolerance.

Can you supply just the steels if I need any??

Ben

Andy B

posted on 16/10/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben
can supply any of the parts you need no problem
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.