Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Busa weighing 542kg...
yellowcab

posted on 16/10/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Busa weighing 542kg...

Must admit, when I had my car setup at ProComp, I was slightly surprised at how much it weighed for a BEC.

I've heard of other kits specifically CEC's weighing 540kg-550kg, unless that's the unrealistic figure out of the two?

Things against getting it any lighter are:

> I have a full cage, which I believe is 2.4mm thick tubing
> Currently on 15" alloys, which aren't the light at all (think these are 16kg per wheel & tyre combo - so totalling 64kgs)
> Currently my front cycle wings & rear arches are plastic... not carbon yet...

Already have Wilwood 4-pot brakes with solid disks at the front

Here is the car for those that don't know it:

[Edited on 16/10/13 by yellowcab]

eddie99

posted on 16/10/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its not unrealistic, if you've got a dry sump and oil cooler, diffuser and all these extra bits, These cars suddenly do weight that sort of amount.

Our 2ltr duratec Pulse weighs exactly the same as yours with all the extras.

I'd say your car is on the heavy side a bit but using sierra parts, im not so sure you can save much weight apart from going to 13's.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
yellowcab

posted on 16/10/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply, yes I suppose I'm running dry sump system with 7.5 litres of oil now, whereas I wasn't before lol

I'll get me some 13" wheels, and see if I can keep an eye out for some carbon arches

Oh my exhaust can also is a Aprillia RSV Mille can, also known as 'the anchor' lol

iank

posted on 16/10/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a car battery or something like a Varley Red Top 25 or one of Russ's Lithium ones. Easy way to save/gain weight.
Foam and bin bags seats can also be a huge win (though you look to be on GRP or CF shells already so unless you're on steel runners you wouldn't see more than a 5kg difference for the two I'd think). Exhaust and wheels would be next on the list.

But I suspect that cage is the biggest component of your unexpected weight, for low weight once you are past the big wins needs a lot of attention to detail and lots of small reductions (for example chopping every bolt down to 2 threads past the nut can gain 1kg on some cars, going down one thickness of aluminium on the body/floor can save a surprising amount).

Also, as I think you suspect, like bhp figures without a dyno plot, weight claims without a weighbridge ticket can be treated as pub talk

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

yellowcab

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree about the pub talk, and their 400kg BECs lol

Yes just fibreglass shell seats bolt directly to the floor (passenger) and on alloy runner on the drivers side.

I'm on a motorbike battery, so not a light one by any means, but lighter than a full size car battery if you get my drift

Benzo

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
My Westfield with the blade engine weighed in at 485kg and had full MOT, Tax.

Our minimum track weight for the 'roadsports' class was 560kgs after the race, the car carried no lead and always came in on the weigh bridge at 563ish kgs.

There isnt much saving in bodywork unlesss its full of isopon, removing the reverse box & light wheels are the biggest improvements.

[Edited on 16/10/13 by Benzo]

yellowcab

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well currently, a single wheel & tyre weighs 16kg...

I know a 7x13 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 weights 4.5kg... not sure how much the relevant tyre would be...

iank

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you have the budget you can get 3.4kg per wheel at 7x13. See http://www.force-racing.co.uk/wheels-13/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

zekill

posted on 16/10/13 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
the real weight of my fury is 430kg (live axle), this without lights, roll bar only, one foam seat and a 919cc blade.
so i think the weight of your car is in the normal range. of course you can do better ... with £££

Fisher Fury with Phoenix bodywork, Blade 919cc

bobinspain

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Do what I did. Being a fat b*****d, I've dropped 27 kgs since january.
It's cheaper than C/F wings and lightweight alloys.
The gin instead of Strongbow's a dear do though.

adithorp

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
A BUSA is fairly heavy in the bike engine stakes, add full dry sump set up and you're a long way to explaining it; At least 30 kg I guess over my R1. Cage must be 20kg. Sierra diff and bolt on shafts? That's several kilos more than my F/lander one and push ins. Then there's wheels/tyres, reverse... 60-70kg easily accounted for...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

sdh2903

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I did some sums on this a while ago, all based on toyo r888s and pro race 1.2s

6x13 185/60/13 11.7kg
7x13 205/60/13 13.1kg
7x15 195/50/15 15.2kg

So if you dropped to 6x13 it's a decent weight saving plus improved ride too.

ReMan

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Well currently, a single wheel & tyre weighs 16kg...

I know a 7x13 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 weights 4.5kg... not sure how much the relevant tyre would be...

So what the weight of your current alloys, without tyres?
ISTR that 888s are actually quite heavy, hence the drop to 13s again being beneficial

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

russbost

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
My Furore with ZZR1400 engine weighs in at 565kg with a car battery, just over 550kg with one of our Li Ions, so your weight's not unrealistic. The Furore is a much bigger car than a 7, & wheels aren't particularly light as we run 17" tho' I don't think quite as heavy as yours, I don't have a dirty great roll cage, heavy exhaust or extra oil, dry sump kit & oil cooler either, but I do have cast iron brakes!

As said, you could save around 4-5kg by swapping to a Li Ion battery, probably another 10 - 15 on the wheels & tyres & another few on the exhaust, after that it becomes very much a rule of diminishing returns & just how bothered can you be by it all!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
yellowcab

posted on 16/10/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies, seems about the going weight then all told

You're all right, my car is purely a bit of trackday fun, I'm not necessarily chasing 1/10ths of a second off a lap time.

If some wheels come up at the right price, and carbon bits & pieces then I'll go for them.

bobinspain - I've lost 24kgs this year already in body weight lol

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 16/10/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to knock 9kg out of the rear uprights of mine by changing from Sierra calipers to wilwoods, using lightened disc, skimming the uprights and by making some ally bearing carriers. Total cost was only £300 which I thought was pretty good for 9kg of unsprung mass.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

Davey D

posted on 16/10/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
My MNR VortX is 509kg with a full tank of fuel ( approx 8 gallons) and my 7x15 Pro race 1.2.
Ive since got some caterham R400 6x13 front, and 8x13 back. I was genuinely shocked how much lighter the 13" wheels feel compared to my 15"

so with the smaller wheels fitted, and 1/2 tank of fuel i am under 500kg

40inches

posted on 16/10/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
When they weighed the MK at IVA, my jaw dropped at the 615 kg on the form, the examiner explained that was with driver, and full tank (7gall) of fuel, he weighed 75kilos, so 540kg with full tank. A lot of Pub scales used for weighing cars I think

wylliezx9r

posted on 16/10/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
My old ZX9r haynes with 16's, reverse box etc and a full tank came in at 520kgs, god knows what it weighs now with the S2000 engine fitted well over 600 I guess.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

unijacko67

posted on 16/10/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
This will make you all feel better, the kitten all running with s2000 engine and box, live axle was just tipping 700kg, but still needed glass, Perspex, lights, bonnet, big sump, heater, wiper blades and water bottle and now weighs 759kg on the road and will get heavier with fire eater when fitted, but it is what it is. I've tried to make it as light as possible as I've used alloy uprights, hubs, willwoods etc. I made a big mistake with the exhaust tubing as I could have used much lighter tube, but its always gona be around the 750-760kg.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 16/10/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
is it a race car? if not then does it really matter? even at 600kg its still a good 1000kg lighter than your average modern eurobox!

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dhutch

posted on 17/10/13 at 04:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have a weight bridge ticket for my cvh engined narrowbody, which is 540kg, produced by the local coal merchants public bridge.

That is with the alloy bell housing, but before I fitted the 'rac style' roll over hoop. Largely standard westfield.
Don't know how much fuel was in it. 5kg race battery, live rear, M16 calipers and vented disc, 13inch ford alloys.
Think it was with the westfield flat seat panels, rather than the grp seats on runners, which are probably heavier.

I agree however, that on a road going car, 20kg is not a lot.

Also, unless the photos are lying, thats a very nice looking car.

Daniel

Custardpants

posted on 17/10/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Olz mine was weighed at 600kg with full fuel and an 80kg driver, so mine dry was about 495kg. But then I added two extinguishers, an ATB, airbox, and a dry sump, so I bet its around 530kg now.

If I went for 13s, rear willwoods, a smaller radiator,a bike battery and a carbon exhaust it would be better, but I bet I'd need to change to soft compound tyres as I just can't get my medium compound R888s hot enough with the weight of the car as it is, let alone with it even lighter. On track days the car is ten times better without my 100kg brother as passenger but on the road I don't really notice much difference.

yellowcab

posted on 17/10/13 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
is it a race car? if not then does it really matter?

No it's not a race car, its a bit of fun trackday car. A hobby.

Your comment is almost like saying 'are you a model? if not, why do you want to look good?'

Just because its not a competitive race car, doesn't mean I don't want the best out of it regardless of what its used for.

My original thread was merely to spark a conversation with other enthusiasts.

yellowcab

posted on 16/11/13 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Replaced my 15" wheels & tyre combo now, for 7x13 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s

15s were 16kg per wheel & tyre, totalling 64.0kg

13s now 10.2kg front & 11.6kg rear, totalling 43.6kg

Saving 20.4kg of unsprung weight

542kg - 20.4kg = New car total 521.6kg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.