Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommended ratchet?
Slimy38

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Recommended ratchet?

My Bahco ratchet is a few turns away from the big toolbox in the sky, so before it goes I'd like to see what else is out there. The Bahco has served me proud for what seems to be my entire life so I'm tempted to get another, but I have seen other tool brands bow to market pressure and sell crepe tools.

So has anyone got any recommendations for a half inch drive ratchet?

I'm also looking for a replacement half inch air impact wrench as well, is there anything for a decent price available?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
ratchet teng tools fibre ratchet excellent around 30 pounds as for air tools i have an ingersol rand not cheap around 260 pounds but excellent...
britishtrident

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Masterpro Swivel Head ----- I have the 1/2" and 3/8" Euro Car Parts have them for less than £25 on ebay . Also sold under different brand names ith different colour handles. The best and most useful ratchets I have ever used.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

HowardB

posted on 19/10/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have various, the best was a britool that I found in the road,..

it is of the old design, and in agreement with previous posts,.. good quality seems to have gone in favour of low cost and reliance on brand name. What I would look for is one of the older quality makes as a new-old stock,.....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Peteff

posted on 19/10/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a complete Bahco socket set a few years ago, 1/2" and 1/4" drive and the ratchets are both good quality strong items. I have a set of Kamasa and the ratchet went awry years ago so I replaced it with a Britool which is superb and fine action. I replaced a cheap 1/4" drive ratchet with a Stahlwille from ebay and you can buy all the internals for it separately so it is repairable if it ever breaks.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr C

posted on 19/10/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Halfrauds professional range. good quality for serious home use, lifetime guarantee, keep the receipt and take it back if it breaks.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

loggyboy

posted on 19/10/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for halfrauds pro, the plastic edge onrs are vgood IME. I have both these and lasted 15yrs and taken a lot of stick.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_176237_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_164226_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 19/10/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I did think about Halfords, but I've already got a full set of sockets. I was also under the impression that the Halfords guarantee doesn't cover ratchet mechanisms?
ASH3

posted on 20/10/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Seek out your local Snap On man.. Quality Lifetime waranty and pay weekly

Peteff

posted on 20/10/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASH3

How long does it take to pay off and arm and a leg though ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rick1962uk

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
My tools are My job so Snap on had one 15 years so works out cheap in the end but at home i have halfords or berge are good its all down to how many times and how hard you use them

as to the impac gun i havnt used one for years i use a snap on cordless 24v one and at home a sealy one but go for the dear one these are thesame as a good air gun but a lot more useful

Slimy38

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASH3

Yeah I think that might be one step too far... and I just know I couldn't stop at a ratchet! The average second hand price for a half inch ratchet is around £60, so I'm already nearly twice the price of other options.

Aren't Bahco owned by Snap on?

loggyboy

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I did think about Halfords, but I've already got a full set of sockets. I was also under the impression that the Halfords guarantee doesn't cover ratchet mechanisms?

I belive your right, however, at that price combined with the quality, its a great value option.

Mistral Motorsport

Marcus

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I bought an Elora socket set and upgraded the ratchet to a Britool. Brilliant setup.
Got these when I was 21, now a year away from 50.....lol
Also got an electric drill for my 16th birthday, old skool B & D also still going strong

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 20/10/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Never had a problem swapping halfords ratchets in, they have only broken through misuse not usual wear and tear, eg extending the bar with a bit more tube to increase leverage.

Only downside is the ratchet is quite corse, high end tend to be much finer.

T66

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for halfords pro range. - had mine over 2 years and it still looks exactly how it did when I bought it.

Slimy38

posted on 20/10/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Never had a problem swapping halfords ratchets in, they have only broken through misuse not usual wear and tear, eg extending the bar with a bit more tube to increase leverage.

They do have an extreme ratchet with a finer ratchet;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_169219_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Would this be better?

imp paul

posted on 20/10/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
i have facom 1 like this its bomb proof lol nice to use very well made but you get what you pay for

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/facom-s-161-12-drive-ratchet-handle-260mm

adithorp

posted on 20/10/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Always been a Britool man but bought one of these US PRO Professional 1/2"' Extra Long Extendable Flexible / Swivel Head Ratchet ones at a show a few years ago, just because it looked a bit of a gimmick. I've now got all three sizes and they're my "go too" ratchets. They're in almost permanent use and showing less wear than man more expensive tools I've had and a lot more versatile.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 20/10/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

They do have an extreme ratchet with a finer ratchet;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_169219_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Would this be better?

Finer rachet = smaller, weaker teeth (generally).
I abuse mine for wheel nuts, including standing on it to get those real tightones undone etc, save the fine teeth for the small rachets as the only time fine teeth are really useful is in tight spaces with limited movement available.

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 20/10/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ Agreed, I would not bother for 1/2" drive, much more useful when using 1/4" 3/8" drive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.