Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Varifocal spectacles and driving...
r1_pete

posted on 28/10/13 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Varifocal spectacles and driving...

SWMBO has just had her 1st accident after many years driving, only minor paint scuffs and no injuries, just clipped Sainsbury's trolly collecting tractor.

But, since she started wearing Varifocal specs, her driving especially her ability to judge where the kerb is, seems to have taken a nose dive. I am convinced its the specs which are altering the percieved distances as she moves her head etc.

Has anyone had similar experiences wearing Vari's for driving?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DavidM

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
The field of view can vary considerably dependant on the quality of the lenses. Opticians usually explain this when opting for varifocals and in my experience recommend the expensive wide angle if they are being used for driving, and less expensive narrow view if they are for around the house/reading etc.

I have wide angle ones and have no problems driving.

David

Proportion is Everything

RK

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I wear them every day with no problems. I use contact lenses for racing however (set for distance), to ensure they fit under the helmet and don't move around.
Not Anumber

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I find varifocals useful for being able to read the satnav whilst driving, something i just couldnt do when i had 2 seperate pairs of glasses. However they do make judging distances at the side of the car very tricky. Ive taken them off at busy rounadbouts a few times rather than risk it.

snapper

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
First few months of wearing bar officials for the first time was a bit freaky but used to it now

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

wicket

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've worn varifocals for many years and never had a problem.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
What DavidM said - the usability of varifocals is entirely in proportion to their cost. The 'free' varifocals that places like Specsavers offer are the cheapest, and the hardest to use. I found bifocals easier to use than those things.

However, a while ago I got glasses from a HongKong company via the web, and they came with premium lenses - I had clear vision across the whole width, with very little distortion or eye strain. Those lenses were half the price of Specsaver's so-called premium grade, and were of a higher quality.

This is the company: Optics4less

Unfortunately the drop in value of the Pound means that they aren't as much of a bargain as they used to be, but I'll still give them a look when I next get my eyes tested.

Paul AS

posted on 28/10/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Varifocals are not just - you get what you pay for - there is far more to it than that. Just to qualify my ramblings, I am a Registered Dispensing Optician with 24 years experience of dispensing all different lens types.

I am also a partner in two Specsavers businesses who dispense (not sell) in excess of 5,200 pairs of varifocals a year, a figure which is growing year upon year.

All suppliers have a range of varifocals that we would dispense for a variety of reasons, usually customer needs (not cost) driven.

We have a three month no quibble, no fuss guarantee, so if you think that your varifocals should be doing something that the don't, take em back! There will usually be a reason for this that can generally be rectified, and if not we'll change them to whatever you want, or give you a full refund.

Premium grade lenses - these descriptions of the lenses are simply a descriptive "sales pitch" and in comparative terms mean absolutely nothing from one supplier to another.

When dispensing a varifocal, we consider exisiting lens types, frame size and fitting, visual needs in terms of how the lens changes from distance to reading, peripheral vision requirements, proportional make up of distance / near vision area, intermediate vision requirements, refractive index and v-value of existing lens material, fitting heights and centres of existing lenses away from the norm, change in prescription, lens form etc. etc. A judgement of quality based on the name of the lens is pointless. It also assumes that you had a pair of Specsavers Premium varifocals made up to the exact same specification and prescription in the same frame in the same material to the same measurements for you to make your comparative judgment of quality.

The internet provides a very cheap alternative to the majority of high street opticians in many cases, no overheads or qualified staff to pay, and if you get lucky with varifocals you will get a pair that work for you, and I do mean lucky! Since the advent of internet spectacle supply, we have mopped up more messes than you would believe that are caused by a lack of communication and information between the customer and supplier.

In most cases, the specs were so cheap that when they are not fit for purpose, the customer tolerates it, until it gets put right by someone with the relevant skills and qualifications, or they just bin them, put it down to experience and start again.

As a Specsavers partner, I would openly tell you that the standard lens is an older design of lens which has now been significantly improved upon with the advancement in research and manufacturing technology. As with any new design of product, there are associated costs, that drift away over a period of time, as the R&D is paid for through sales of any product, so if you want the latest up to date technology in any industry it is generally more expensive - its up to you whether you feel there is a benefit that outweighs the cost.

Not everyone needs a race technology Dash 2 with data logging at £2k plus, but some want the benefit of the extra features and performance.

You pay you money and take your choice!

myke pocock

posted on 28/10/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Or you could take the Billy Connolly route and try for a prescription windscreen!!!
r1_pete

posted on 28/10/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the input, I'm in the wrong for suggesting her specs may be a problem, women's logic!!! but I'm insisting she goes back and makes sure what she has are suitable for driving in. Turns out she only has correction for close objects/reading, and wears them so she can see the instruments!

The monster eye coming towards you eh Myke....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.