Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec help: valve - piston clearance with hydraulic followers
Philwaters7

posted on 28/10/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec help: valve - piston clearance with hydraulic followers

Hi - looking for some zetec guru's out there.

I'm doing my first full engine build - my 2lt block is away being bored out to suit some forged pistons and I have some steel rods to go with them. The head has been fitted with some bigger valves and thoroughly ported and I have some high lift cams which are suitable for hydraulic followers. The pistons are pocketed, etc, etc. It should be a nice engine when finished.

However, while the block is away, I've started thinking about the next stages and I got to researching the valve - piston clearance method and have hit a snag. When the engine is running it will have oil pressure - when I check it it won't. So, my understanding is you swap the hydraulics followers temporarily with some solid followers so that the valve opens correctly. Along with some soft checking springs you can check the clearance easily with some plasticine.

But - how big/thick should the solid followers be? Am I right in my understanding that the follower will be slightly pumped up even when the valve is opening? How much is this amount? Is it constant? The follower then pumps up further as the valve lift reduces, thus taking up the 'valve clearance' you normally shim to achieve on a solid engine. Is that right or am I missing something obvious?

My followers are drained down so I can't measure them, and even if not, how would I know I was measuring what the valve would see as lift? The Haynes manual only states the diameter of the follower... so I'm feeling a little baffled

Doesn't only apply to Zetec's either I guess, anything with a hydraulic follower would give the same problem. Anyway, I'm confused - can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Waters

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 28/10/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
The lifter only pumps up when there is no load on it, i.e. when the valve is closed and some clearance exists. As soon as the cam starts lifting the valve the lifter should remain locked in it's last position due to a non-return valve built in. If you use solid lifters that give as close zero valve clearance as possible to test for piston/valve clearance then you should be fine (unless your valve springs are too weak in which case valve float will allow the lifters to "pump up" )

[Edited on 28/10/13 by MikeRJ]

Philwaters7

posted on 29/10/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much Mike, very helpful and I think I've got my head around it now
Just need to work out how to convert some spare followers to be adjustable next... my spring will be fine, they are uprated Kent items to suit the cams.

Phil Waters

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.