Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy Sold
bobinspain

posted on 29/10/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Indy Sold

After 20 months of ownership and 800 miles only, my pristine Indy-R has just been driven off to Madrid for the winter prior to spending its forseeable future in Malaga.
The new Spanish owner has owned a Z-Cars Mini and an R1 engined MK previously.
Sad though I was to see it go, with no mechanical back up, BEC ownership was a fraught experience, being just one breakdown away from disaster every time I took the car out.
Expensive exercise, but it just goes to show, 'you're never too old to learn.' (as well as confirming,'there's no fool like an old fool.'
Adios and thankyou to Cosmick and Steve Lawson in particular for their welcome assistance. A mention for Andy B too, who tried his best to help me out.
Bob.

Davey D

posted on 29/10/13 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
....BEC ownership was a fraught experience, being just one breakdown away from disaster every time I took the car out....
Bob.

What problems have you had? in the 4 years that ive had my BEC on the road it has been nothing but ultra reliable. The only issues ive had are throttle cable snapping, and a water pipe popping off, which could happen to any car

bobinspain

posted on 29/10/13 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
quote:
....BEC ownership was a fraught experience, being just one breakdown away from disaster every time I took the car out....
Bob.

What problems have you had? in the 4 years that ive had my BEC on the road it has been nothing but ultra reliable. The only issues ive had are throttle cable snapping, and a water pipe popping off, which could happen to any car

To answer your query

Fuel gauge totally unreliable, bearing no relation to the quantity of fuel in the tank.
Wrong Flatshifter fitted (rectified by MK sending correct one for retro-fitting-'Expert'.
Oil cooler hose union leak. Replacement required.
Engine misfire (turned out to be swarf in the in-tank fuel filter).
FI light permanently illuminating (wrong clutch-position pressure switch fitted) New relay and switch fitted.
Rear mudguard 'spider' in gel coat. (Replacement sent out).
I could go on, but you get my drift. As a non-techie the BEC was a bad choice. My fault. My loss. The buyer has a 'fettled product.'
My pal who worked for "mate's rates" put around 40 hours of work into the car to get it fully sorted. It left me better than it arrived.

noc231073

posted on 29/10/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mk indy

Nice to see it gone then Bob
Are you thinking of replacing it with something nice...
A Westfield car engine is the way to go ...

doobrychat

posted on 29/10/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR all the way.. built mine and never had a problem and i've been up and down the country in mine done.. Its all in the build i would guess...
bobinspain

posted on 29/10/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by noc231073
Nice to see it gone then Bob
Are you thinking of replacing it with something nice...
A Westfield car engine is the way to go ...

"Once bitten twice shy." This was my second 'bite.' My Lotus 340-R had to go at 10 months old when we moved out here 12 yrs ago. I lost as much on that as the total cost of the Indy. I've had enough of 'exotica' for a while. It's a dear do and certainly not Locost.
Think I'll shop around for an 'old man's carriage.' My quad and my mountain bike (Marin East Peak) are my only toys now.

rdodger

posted on 29/10/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Mini Moke!

Perfect for the Spanish weather and easy to fix!

daniel mason

posted on 29/10/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
or a radical! complete different league!

bobinspain

posted on 30/10/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Car reached Madrid ok but not before having to be push-started following two fuel stops. Battery reported as "dead", although the engine fired up in a trice when started on my driveway prior to the journey, and it had been stood for 15 days in the garage.
An indicator refused to work too. I wouldn't know since I've never been outside the car to watch the indicators in operation.

On a positive note, the buyer reported the car engine "performed faultlessly and had far more urge than my R1."

So that's that. Phew!

bobinspain

posted on 15/11/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Post script.

The oil-pressure gauge has failed.

jps

posted on 15/11/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Post script.

The oil-pressure gauge has failed.

At least you know you did the right thing by getting rid! Commiserations to the new owner!

Bizarro

posted on 9/12/13 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think I saw your car a couple of times at MK when they were building it, looked a nice car.

Not a good advert for a factory built car!

bobinspain

posted on 9/12/13 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I was 'lucky' at the outset, because I had mechanical backup in the shape of an electrical and mechanical engineer with over 50 years experience.
After around 40 hours of work, tinkering, tidying, replacing and re-attaching he got the car to the standard I'd been given to expect it should have been on delivery.
Regrettably, that backup disappeared when my chum emigrated to Nigeria!
The car left me in better condition after 21 months and 1,000 miles, than when it arrived new from MK.
Water under the bridge, but an expensive lesson (for me) which I hope some Locosters will learn from. I took a 6.5k€ hit on the deal.
If I'd have lived in Doncaster, it wouldn't have been a problem. I don't, so it was.

ajw

posted on 10/12/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
mk experience

You seem to have had a bad experience. I have a mk indy r with full race duratec 2 lt engine and seq box and all the bits,never failed o finish event since built in 2011 (spring). Its coming to the market as I have baught a radical race car with a 1585 busa engine for european events eg St Geouno hillclimb.As to losing value ,the day you drive a car from new it drops 25%! but what important is that he drive is fun.
bobinspain

posted on 27/2/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Latest update:
Car now in Malaga. A trackday has highlighted to the new owner the requirement for an Accusump. He has had one delivered from the USA and intends fitting it asap.
He's very impressed with the performance of the car, having previously owned an Indy R1 and a Z-cars mini.
He has his eye on his next 'toy' when he moves the MK on later in the year----Lotus Exige. (not exactly locost!).

Nick DV

posted on 27/2/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajw
You seem to have had a bad experience. I have a mk indy r with full race duratec 2 lt engine and seq box and all the bits,never failed o finish event since built in 2011 (spring). Its coming to the market as I have baught a radical race car with a 1585 busa engine for european events eg St Geouno hillclimb.As to losing value ,the day you drive a car from new it drops 25%! but what important is that he drive is fun.

"You seem to have had a bad experience." An understatement methinks! The way I see it, I'd say Bob may not be quite ready for another MK yet!

"The force will be with you, always!"

ross05

posted on 27/2/14 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
MK

Sorry you have sold your toy Bob..I've still got the westy and planning a trip to Stonelegh in May around 3500 mile Via Fort William...Then back to S/Spain...

Go on buy a westy.. with a proper engine (takes cover from all the BEC guys)

Seriously Bob hope you get the toy bug again.

cheers

Russell.

bobinspain

posted on 21/6/14 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
For info (note, this is fact, not opinion).

My buyer in Malaga has just emailed me. He sold the MK to a fellow in Gran Canaria who took it to a track day where the car proceded to deposit the entrails of its gearbox all over the track. It's undergoing a full gearbox rebuild.
In the meantime, my buyer has bought himself a RHD car-engined Westie, which he's having converted to LHD. He will not be repeating the MK experience.

ross05

posted on 21/6/14 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bob get a Westy with a Zetec !! Just done a round trip to Fort William, via Stoneleigh and back to Southern Spain.Without a single problem Fantastic fun ...

sdh2903

posted on 21/6/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My buyer in Malaga has just emailed me. He sold the MK to a fellow in Gran Canaria who took it to a track day where the car proceded to deposit the entrails of its gearbox all over the track. It's undergoing a full gearbox rebuild.
In the meantime, my buyer has bought himself a RHD car-engined Westie, which he's having converted to LHD. He will not be repeating the MK experience.

All kits have their problems and quirks but I fail to see how a Japanese produced motorcycle gearbox failure has much to do with the "MK experience"??

mark chandler

posted on 21/6/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox is designed to the torque of the engine, blown gearbox, driver error?

Easy to shove the stick the wrong way and if you do clutchless gear changes not a surprise if it lets go on a track day.

bobinspain

posted on 22/6/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:

All kits have their problems and quirks but I fail to see how a Japanese produced motorcycle gearbox failure has much to do with the "MK experience"??

I wouldn't put my comprehensively documented MK experience down to "quirks". If one cares to take an objective view and remove any rose-tinted spectacles, then I would say a very high spec', factory-build costing 15,000 pounds shouldn't have suffered the problems I encountered from the moment I took delivery.
The Malaga owner has moved the car on after 6 months, citing poor reliablity, (again, factually reported on this thread).
There are those with an open mind, who will accept documented facts and make judgements based on those and all other information open to them. Then there are folk who for whatever reason are "so blind that they will not see." That is their prerogative. I wish them well and trust that if my fate befalls them, that they have deep pockets or are mechanically savvy.
Adios.

sdh2903

posted on 22/6/14 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Wow stroppy or what!! Sun gone to your head??

I have no allegiance what so ever to MK, would I buy an Mk? Possibly, factory built? No definitly not. But, and this is a big but. I would never expect to purchase ANY kit car whether it be a 20k caterham, a 10k westie or a 2k dutton and not expect it to break. These cars are a hobby and require constant tweaking, maintenance and improvement and for lots of us that is part of the fun and enjoyment of owning these cars. If you don't know 1 end of a spanner from the other (or know someone who does) then in my humble opinion kit car ownership is not for you. And at the of the day a busa engine is designed to propel a busa around in transverse layout not a 500kg car + driver in longitudinal layout with sticky tyres and an even stickier hot Spanish track day.

lewis

posted on 22/6/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you would be better off with a Kia mate! They come with a 7year warranty

I am a driving god!..........sort of

bobinspain

posted on 23/6/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Sounds like you would be better off with a Kia mate! They come with a 7year warranty

I'd cancel your subscription to the 'Oscar Wilde correspondence course' if I were you. You're not getting your money's worth.

(and, I am not your 'mate.'

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.