Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do New Exhaust Valves require re-shim on Zetec?
Alfa145

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Do New Exhaust Valves require re-shim on Zetec?

Having to replace 8 exhaust valves on the blacktop (don't ask) do I need to reshim or will it be ok?

If I do need to reshim how do I do it? any links to an idiots guide?

MikeRJ

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
It will almost certainly need to be re-shimmed with new valves. The procedure is easy, measure the clearance with the old shim and subtract from the required clearance. You them remove the shim, and add the difference to the old shim size (may need a micrometer to measure it if not clearly marked)

e.g.

Measured clearance 0.50mm
Required clearance 0.40mm
Old shim size 2.00mm
New shim size = 2.00 + (0.50 - 0.40) = 2.10mm

There is a special tool to allow removal of the shims without removing the cam. If you don't have the tool then simply measure and write down all the valve clearances before removing the cam so you don't have to keep re-fitting it.

[Edited on 5/11/13 by MikeRJ]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/11/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
New ford valves are quite expensive, plus the cyst if the shims, if I was you I'd get another head.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alfa145

posted on 5/11/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I can get a set of exhaust valves for about £60 so just need to find out where I can get the shims and find some instructions on when to measure the clearances then I can work out if it's a sensible option.
me!

posted on 5/11/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I did all mine after lapping the valves in. As said, build with what you have (measure the shims before putting them back in), measure the clearance, and then work out what sizes you need. It's all in Haynes if you have one. I didn't need 16 as I could move some about, I ordered the remainder from my local dealer.
Alfa145

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
So it even needs re-shimming after lapping? dang, looks like I'll be doing the inlet side too......

What was the cost of them from the dealer?

I can just imagine when I ring them up they'll go "a shim what?"

[Edited on 5/11/13 by Alfa145]

me!

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember to be honest, and I get a discount through work anyway so it'll be different to whatever you end up paying.

You're right about the confusion though, my engine is from an Mondeo on a change over year, and he tried to sell me a load of duratec hydraulic tappets at £30 a pop! It was much easier when he turned the computer round so I could point at the pictures for him....

Another option is to call an engine builder, I bet he'd have buckets of them

paulf

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have ground shims on a bench grinder using the side of the wheel in the past , if lapping in valves then you will only need a few thou ground off and if new valves are fitted it is sometimes possible to swap shims around and only have a few to replace or grind down.
Paul

MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I have ground shims on a bench grinder using the side of the wheel in the past , if lapping in valves then you will only need a few thou ground off and if new valves are fitted it is sometimes possible to swap shims around and only have a few to replace or grind down.
Paul

The cam lobes operate directly onto the shims in the blacktop Zetec, so not a good idea to manually grind shims down as you'd never get them perfectly parallel.

richardm6994

posted on 10/11/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Rob, if you did end up needing the shims grinding down as posted above, I've got a surface grinder it can be done on so they will be perfectly flat and parallel....so don't struggle, just shout up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.