Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: We should never forget,
Jon Ison

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
We should never forget,

Someone posted this on my FB page, thought I would share it no words required.

Smoking Frog

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
+1
JoelP

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

slingshot2000

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
+1
omega 24 v6

posted on 9/11/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed.
But the younger ones are losing that connection to a Grandfather or uncle etc who gave their life. Its difficult to see how the " we will remember them" phrase can be carried on, by those who have no recollection of a close or personal loss, and/or a lack of historical knowledge.

But meantime "we will remember them"

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 9/11/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Indeed.
But the younger ones are losing that connection to a Grandfather or uncle etc who gave their life. Its difficult to see how the " we will remember them" phrase can be carried on, by those who have no recollection of a close or personal loss, and/or a lack of historical knowledge.

But meantime "we will remember them"

What about the lads lost in iraq, Afghanistan, falklands, kosovo, etc its not just about WW2

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bobinspain

posted on 9/11/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Regrettably, the rural idyll depicted for which countless galant lives were lost is a thing of the past. To be representative of today's Britain, you'd need someone wearing a Burqa or Niqab in the foreground.
omega 24 v6

posted on 9/11/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What about the lads lost in iraq, Afghanistan, falklands, kosovo, etc its not just about WW2

Totally Understand that Blake.
But what I meant was the percentage of family's that lost loved ones in the 2 world wars was so much more widespread in the community ( Most family's would have had members lost ) than those lost since them. The commitment AND loss of life of all our fighting lads and lasses should, I agree wholeheartedly, be remembered.

We all owe the greatest debt to those who paid the highest price. AND IT SHOULD NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/11/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
The painting is of my home town of St Ives, Cornwall

My thoughts are with Marine A who is starting a life sentence for murder for killing a Taliban - he was part of the force which is at war with the Taliban, and before anyone pipes up about prisoners of war, how many British soldiers are being held as prisoners of war by the Taliban? - go on, guess.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 9/11/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The painting is of my home town of St Ives, Cornwall

My thoughts are with Marine A who is starting a life sentence for murder for killing a Taliban - he was part of the force which is at war with the Taliban, and before anyone pipes up about prisoners of war, how many British soldiers are being held as prisoners of war by the Taliban? - go on, guess.

Quite agree mark. It's more a shame that he got caught as it looks bad in the press, and is ammo for propaganda. The insurgent would likely have died anyway after suffering shots from an attack helicopter, and it would have been perfectly legal to not give first aid on the basis of inadequate security at the time.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

slingshot2000

posted on 10/11/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have just been getting ready to leave for our local Remembrance Sunday Parade and I wondered if the original thread was still on todays front page.

Bump !

maccmike

posted on 10/11/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
+1

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.