Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Front wishbones help!!
Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Front wishbones help!!

Hi Guys
Have a bit of a problem - today we attempted to assemble the front wishbones with what appears to be the correct chassis location of the brackets relativly on the chassis (according to the Haynes manual)

BUT I have purchased a ready made set of wishbones on eBay and they appear to be far to short, and when connected up to the mushroom insert on my sierra hub the camber is way way off in terms of a negative tilt of about 10 degrees even with the upper arm threaded right in!!!

Have I bought the wrong size wishbones??? Are there more then one size??? Does anybody have these correct size wishbones to sell?

Is this a problem with using the sierra hub as oppose to the cortina?? As the hole for the arm is offset inwards 20-30mm or so - if this is the problem how have others approached this??

Many thanks guys

Dave

Dick Axtell

posted on 10/11/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Could you post a jpg of your wishbone? It would help to ID which type you appear to have.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote

here is a picture - as you can see - geometry looks ridiculous!

Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
they both seem to need to be longer according to the book. But the bottom one is too short in proportion to the top it seems
iank

posted on 10/11/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
What are you building (Haynes roadster or Locost)?
Pointer to the ebay ad of what you bought?

The shock mounts don't look like either Roadster or Locost book wishbones.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The shock mounts were on a bolt on strut which stuck out with tapered edges on either side - I took it off to assess the situation. I bought the chassis built as it was not wanted. I am modifying it to take independent rear suspension (was a live axle I think). eBay add no longer there. It seems to be an "earlier" narrow chassis. I am using the book to set up the rest as a rolling chassis
deezee

posted on 10/11/13 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a haynes Chassis, so its not going to have the right geometry to Haynes front suspension, its going to be all wrong. You should just stick with locost wishbones and cortina uprights if you are using a locost chassis. Haynes front end won't work.

Also to make matters worse, I'd say they are made by Darren of GTS Tuning. So I doubt they are correct.

big-vee-twin

posted on 10/11/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure they are not Cortina.

Nothing wrong with GTS bones.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

prawnabie

posted on 10/11/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Darren had fairly major issues, but the quality of his stuff wasn't one of them
Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
They would seem to fit if the top mushroom was further out towards the wheel which makes me think they were not designed for a sierra upright. Just wandered if anybody had this problem or heared of it in the past?
big-vee-twin

posted on 10/11/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I had the problem in the opposite direction Sierra bones and Cortina uprights, could not get the right neg camber with the adjusters fully out.

If you want to see what GTS sierra bones look like have a look at my pics they look different to yours which is why I think you need Cortina uprights or different bones

[Edited on 10/11/13 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ashg

posted on 10/11/13 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
thats a locost chassis not a haynes you can tell by looking at the front frame. chances are if you replace the sierra hubs with cortina ones everything will end up ok.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Daviesdj

posted on 10/11/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys- great advice

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.