Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freelander diff. ???
stevio73

posted on 14/11/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Freelander diff. ???

Just seen the ad in the 'for sale' section for the westie blade with a freelander diff. Kinda got me thinking about what advantages, if any, there are using such a diff?
Perhaps more available than the sierra nowadays, certainly a LSD or am I wrong?
Ratio's and mounts would be another question as well as output flanges.
Can't honestly remember what one looks like, and I used to work for land rover.

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/11/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly lighter than Sierra. 3.2 ratio (from memory).
iank

posted on 14/11/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Advantages: Lighter and a good ratio for BEC's
Downsides: Lots of work to retrofit and questions on reliability.

See http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=131568

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bigrich

posted on 14/11/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
3.21 ratio non lsd. Early diffs had suspect snall brgs. Been a standard fit on Mac#1s worX model for 6 years. Really light unit and if fitted with rubber mounts much quiete and smoother rthan a solid mount sierra diff. Just needs some conversion driveshaft for freelander inners to sierra tripod outers. There are 2 sizes of freelander shafts too. Build Iin strength or lightness depending on your application. Look in my archive for mounting ideas

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

phelpsa

posted on 14/11/13 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone produce a proper LSD for it yet?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 14/11/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Yes if you have a spare kidney http://quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf31k

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

daniel mason

posted on 14/11/13 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i had a quaife unit in my fury. it was good!

MK9R

posted on 14/11/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
The spline for the CV joints are actually the same as the sierra push in ones, its just the lengths of the drive shaft that may have to be altered if you convert. They are 9kg lighter than a sierra. A lot cheaper for the low ratio too. If you want LSD from quaiffe you have to buy the latter diff as the quaiffe uanit only takes the larger bearings. Any freelander after 2000 will have this diff. If you dont want LSD the earlier ones are fine, the issue of difgs failing wasn't anything to do with the diff, it was the vcu fitted to the freelander 4x4 transmission which causes it, Landrover tried to fix a failure point rather than the cause when they uprated it.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 15/11/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

Yes if you have a spare kidney http://quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf31k

I've not heard good things about the ATB in my application, i'm really after a proper plate type LSD. Freelander diff would be ideal if someone started making one.

adithorp

posted on 15/11/13 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Got Freelander diff with Quafe in my Fury. Works great and trouble free for 18000miles and a fair amount of sideways action and even some snow covered mountain pass. Youmostly hear negative coments about ATB diffs from people who don't have them.

Only real downside is they have quite a lot of free play in them; I've taken to checking on every Freelander I see at work and they're all the same... Even 6week old car!

As Austin says the splines and tripod/bearings are the same as Sierra. However the Freelander joint are floating but the Sierra are sprung. The Sierra joints act against each other and centralise the shaft/joints. With hybrid shaft, the sprung Sierra one pushes itself fully out and the Freelander joint fully in. This caused knocking in my joints (heard it on others as well) so I adapted the Sierra joint to self center. It's been fine like that for 5 years now. I've got pictures somewhere of the mod' if anybody wants t see.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 15/11/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
No idea if you can get a plate style LSD, but this post on wscc http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/101223-freelander-lsd/ implies you can.

--
Anonymous

MK9R

posted on 15/11/13 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
As adi has said, atb works fine, loafs of racers use them with no issues. The issue you have with a plated diff is if it was designed for a heavier it will be too stiff. I am going plated with my new car (rs turbo diff) but my father has the fluid and equipment to modifiy its stiffness if we find it too aggressive

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

stevio73

posted on 18/11/13 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
All interesting stuff. Originally when I started this thread it was down to having seen someone using the said freelander diff and it sparked my interest. However I'm a bit too far down the sierra path with the current build to be swapping out.
I just want to get this thing finished first and use all of the info gathered in that journey to contemplate a ultimate build in the future.

It's all a time and money thing!

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.