Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much for a full vinyl wrap?
scudderfish

posted on 14/11/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
How much for a full vinyl wrap?

If I were to get my Fury fully wrapped in a solid colour (no fake carbon), how much should I expect it to cost? Done professionally that is, not by me!

Regards,
Dave

clairetoo

posted on 14/11/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I could ask at work tomorrow - we have a full `decals' department , and do full wraps on vans ans trucks......

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

scudderfish

posted on 14/11/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oo, thanks
rodgling

posted on 14/11/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I wrapped my car (myself) - it looked great at first but after a year it's looking fairly tatty (not my workmanship, just the nature of the beast I think). I'm probably going to remove the wrap and get the car properly painted. Also, fuel really stains vinyl so there's a crappy yellow stain around the filler cap :-(
jossey

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
As above you can self wrap with a few guys to help. I got quoted £120 for my tiger tub doing in black but as mentioned the guy warned if you by cheap stuff you will see it fade etc ....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I've been quoted (based on some photos of my car) £800-£1200 which I think is a bit steep, but I have no experience as to if it is or not. There's a Fury on the Sylva-list group that was completely resprayed for that sort of money.
scudderfish

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
The fuel warning is a good one. My filler is on the horizontal surface to the rear and it's hard to fill it without at least a couple of drips ending up on the bodywork.
Ivan

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I am planning to spray my Cobra myself with this

www.liquidwraps.co.za

Gives a very acceptable finish in any colour you like from matt to gloss and even metallic and/or colour-shift colours at roughly a third the cost of professional wrapping. I expect to be able to do it for around 200 Pounds. I feel its worth trying as , if it doesn't come out, I can peel it off and try again - will start with a stripe and then move on to the rest of the body once I am happy with quality of my work.

There are lots of guides on doing this on Youtube.

It's a fantastic product for wheel spraying.

I'm sure the equivalent is available in the UK.

Duncan36

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
£800 - £1200 is fairly reasonable/cheap if they are using good quality vinyl, although a fair chunk of the price will be for the time it takes to do. Proper cast vinyls are more expensive than the standard vinyl used for decals etc. There is also a lot of prep work to make sure the finish is good and to get the coloured vinyl finish to be perfect is very hard. The carbon vinyl is easy as the pattern hides all of the small blemishes that would stand out a mile otherwise.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

Slimy38

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Overall I do tend to notice that a good vinyl wrap is quite close in cost to a good paint job. So four figures would not be that much of a surprise.

What I would say is that the compound curves of a Fury do open up so many potential problems, you really don't want to cut corners. When I had a look at Snakebelly's GTA bodywork, the thought of trying to wrap that sort of curvy panel just filled me with dread.

I would recommend you price up a paint job, the price may not be that different but it will work so much better.

Ivan, that liquid wrap is amazingly difficult to work with, the youtube videos don't give any clues on how easy it is to mess up. And you still need to do the same prep work that a wrap or paint would require. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a go, but £200 is an expensive 'go'.

snakebelly

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
As above, the fury type body is probably one of the most difficult of our type of cars to wrap as it covered in compound curves, the price of £1200 actually isn't that bad for a professional job with a warranty using good materials.

I researched this to death a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that the only real reason to wrap rather than paint was if you wanted really complex graphics printed on the wrap, for a solid colour I just don't see any advantages over a decent paint job.

Ivan

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Ivan, that liquid wrap is amazingly difficult to work with, the youtube videos don't give any clues on how easy it is to mess up. And you still need to do the same prep work that a wrap or paint would require. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a go, but £200 is an expensive 'go'.

£200 is for the whole job - the stripes will be a lot less and I would only proceed further if the stripes work out - and yes I realise that preparation is crucial and that quality will depend on finish of the understrate but it is still a lot easier than painting as the masking is simpler and there is no polishing etc afterwards.

But even having it done professionally is cheaper at around £350 for a small hatchback car (In South Africa) but UK prices shouldn't be that different.

Compared to the £350 quote for liquid wrap I got a quote for £900 for a normal vinyl wrap.

[Edited on 15/11/13 by Ivan]

Duncan36

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Snakebelly. i could of wrapped my car for free, but still chose to have it painted and then just apply the small parts of the other colours in vinyl.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

stevebubs

posted on 15/11/13 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
watching with interest....
RK

posted on 15/11/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap vinyl will not go around the curves properly. Make sure it has the air holes at least. For flattish surfaces it is easy to do. I am certain you could find enough to do a whole car for a lot less than 200 pounds though. Fleabay has a tonne of sellers.

Just as an aside, I sold my Deman Locost and gave a bunch of vinyl to a guy who made decals from it for my sports racer. I don't seem to have a way to add a photo but there is a pic in my archive.

[Edited on 15/11/13 by RK]

Duncan36

posted on 15/11/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
The key word is 'Cast'. It's purpose made for wrapping, you can stretch it. without stressing the pigment and with a hair dryer the shape will return to the original shape. Normal calandered vinyl (cheap coloured vinyl) doesn't work like that and although you can stretch it to a degree, it's certainly not enough to pull around corners (and have it stay there) without stressing the pigment which give white stress lines in it. Its unreal how much you can stretch the cast vinyl to get the shapes you need without any wrinkles.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.