Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shox Vs Protech
Padstar

posted on 15/11/13 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Shox Vs Protech

Is there any difference between the 2 i dont see so many Protech suspension systems for sale. Is there anything wrong with them compared with others.
pewe

posted on 15/11/13 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know the difference/s but Protech are sold by Matt at Procomp (on here or Faceache).
He will be able to set them up properly for Se7en type cars - oil, valving and springs if necessary - particulary if it's live axled.
His dyno gives him all the info to do this.
Give him a bell for informed opinions.
Ask me how I know.....
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Jenko

posted on 15/11/13 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Protech are brill......great quality / customer service and value..

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

imp paul

posted on 15/11/13 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
Protech are brill......great quality / customer service and value..

yes kev is spot on nice bloke you can not go wrong +1

austin man

posted on 15/11/13 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have protech the after sales is brilliant the product is exceptional.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

bi22le

posted on 15/11/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Im looking forwars to getting a new set of protech shocks for the front of my car after getting it set up at procomp. They tested my gaz golds and they are completely wrong for a inboard rocker suspension set up.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Padstar

posted on 15/11/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
So are the protech units more of a competition unit than a standard item. I see the shox units for sale everywhere but not so many protech. Do you need the protech to be set up after install or if u get a 7 set then they r they good from the shelf? Also is there any scope for self adjustment on them.
Madinventions

posted on 16/11/13 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
My advice - just buy some Protechs direct from Protech (Link to their website) or from Matt at ProComp (Link to his website).
Good unit, reliable, easy to tweak if desired, fantastic customer service, sensible price.

Adjustments: On mine you can adjust the spring length using a standard C spanner, and they have a little knob that you can tweak to set the amount of damping for both bump and rebound. The minimal setup you really need to do is just to tweak the coil bases to set the preload and then set the knob according to how soft/hard you want the ride to be. Of course you can then go into much more detail and set corner weights and all sorts of other handling related adjustments to all sorts of varying accuracies if you want to, but then I'd suggest a call to Matt at ProComp who will point you in the right direction.

They are good for both general road use and track days and seems that 99% of people that use them are very happy with them.

Shox look like they're just standard non-adjustable shocks meant for tin-tops that you get from the local motor factors?

Buy a set of Protechs.

(All IMHO of course).

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Padstar

posted on 29/12/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so protech seems to be the way to go.

Can someone confirm the max/min dimension of the shock arm from fixing point centres.

I have just finished installing my suspension bones and brackets and have a slight problem I need to overcome. The voudo plans I have used for the rear end have a very shallow top plate where the roll bar connects and the rear suspension bracket goes. I reckon I can still squeeze the bracket in there and still have access to it (very tight access) but want to check the shock absorber will fit in there before I go any further. If I have to alter it then it will be quite a major job which I would like to avoid.

sdh2903

posted on 29/12/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be buying from protech direct as they won't be valved correctly for lightweight cars or evenly matched even on a pair. Just get them from Matt/Ivan at procomp and they will be matched and correctly valved.

I had a repaired one sent back to me from protech and was over a 100lb difference in valving from when it was sent in. Caused all sorts of quirky handling.

Padstar

posted on 29/12/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I wouldn't be buying from protech direct as they won't be valved correctly for lightweight cars or evenly matched even on a pair. Just get them from Matt/Ivan at procomp and they will be matched and correctly valved.

I had a repaired one sent back to me from protech and was over a 100lb difference in valving from when it was sent in. Caused all sorts of quirky handling.

Even if the haynes roadster specific set are purchased? Any idea on the fixing dimensions?

Nick DV

posted on 30/12/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not heard that one! They list specific kit car shocks for starters and plenty of people that have kit cars are using them without any issues. I cannot believe that Protech would supply a part that was not suitable if they have received the correct info in the first place! I've only ever heard the opposite.

Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

sdh2903

posted on 30/12/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
quote:

Not heard that one! They list specific kit car shocks for starters and plenty of people that have kit cars are using them without any issues. I cannot believe that Protech would supply a part that was not suitable if they have received the correct info in the first place! I've only ever heard the opposite.

Nick

Just going off past experience, the repaired one was sent back miles out from when it was sent to them. I had terrible handling issues with it. When it was put on pro comps shock dyno there was over a 100lb difference in damping. If you speak to Matt at procomp he will tell you this is not uncommon and hence during their suspension setups one of the first things they do is dyno the shocks to match them up. Protech do not test to this level before shipping them out.

If you buy the shocks from procomp they will all be matched and set correctly before shipping and they're near as dammit the same price anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.