Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type 9 needing rebuild?
blakep82

posted on 22/11/13 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
type 9 needing rebuild?

not sure if i'm really meaning to ask this... but here goes

I've already got a type 9 for my car, appears to be all good and bearing seem sound as far as i can tell so far,

quite fancy having a go at rebuilding one as a spare or putting it in and keeping this one as a spare, uprating bearings, ratios or a longer 1st gear maybe? not 100% sure what the plan is yet.

really just seeing what/if people have laying about. ideas for a spec (keeping costs down )

would be my first go at gearboxes, so not wanting to go in too deep, but looking for a little useful project

local would be good! cheap would be lovely, but saying that, i'm not entirely sure I want to buy just now. really just getting an idea whats around. would need to be one with removable bell housing, gear lever not required (but would be handy)

PM me please

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

NigeEss

posted on 22/11/13 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've one that I took out recently as it often jumps out of 3rd and 4th. Removable bellhousing but no gear lever.
Not local though, but if you are not in a rush I'm going to Inverness in early January and could
drop it off on the way past.

Open to offers

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

snapper

posted on 22/11/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
[/URL]

[Edited on 22/11/13 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 22/11/13 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a T9 which is surplus to requirements.
I've also got a gear leaver + the extension kit so it puts the gear stick another 6 inches back.
Includes the mounts too.

I've also got a good condition shortened prop if this is any good to anyone - pics in my archive of the length.
15 mins from Stansted airport.
Open to offers

richardm6994

posted on 22/11/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've always fancied having a go at stripping and rebuilding a type 9 as I've never done gearboxes before.

What has stopped me is the "special tools" I've read that are required. I've never managed to find out what these tools are, how much they cost or where to get them from.

Sorry for the hijac but it's kinda on topic...I'd be interested if anyone has any info..

minordelay

posted on 22/11/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not posted on here for ages. But a topic I can help with.

The main tool that you need is to remove the 5th gear driver off the back of the layshaft. I think the rest is basic tool stuff and maybe a press.

The one I have used consists of a rod with fine thread at the rear which slots through the hollow inside of the layshaft and mounts onto the front of the main casing.

Then a threaded collar combined with 2 split half shells and securing ring are used on the threaded rod to pull the gear off.

I don't have access to one anymore and I'm not sure where to buy them. Lazer tools might be worth a try or Sykes Pickavant.

Or make one if you have the skills, they are usually very tight to get off. I've seen a few break.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

Nigel

blakep82

posted on 22/11/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely stuff! Thank you for the tips, and the two boxes! As for offers, I have no idea whats reasonable now...
Last one I bought was 6 years ago, £60 I think, and didn't need rebuilt. Prices have changed now though! Someone give me a starting point!

[Edited on 22/11/13 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Pete Jordan

posted on 23/11/13 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm half way through doing exactly what you are considering, rebuilding my type 9 with a long first, heavy duty bearings and improved lubrication to the mainshaft gears. Re special tools, I had to buy a large enough socket to remove the fifth gear retaining nut and bend some 5mm rod to make a convenient tool to remove one of the bearings. Otherwise, if you have a normal range of sockets spanners etc and a two leg gear puller, you don't need anything else. I got all the bits from BGH Geartech. They are extremely helpful and their prices are pretty good as well. Happy to let you know exactly what I've done and what it cost if you are interested.

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.