Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike engine and mx5 diff?
olberj

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engine and mx5 diff?

Having a think about using a bike engine in the 205.

If I was to mount the engine mid ships, longitudinally, and fix the standard rear bike sprocket to the diff input flange, would this allow me to simply connect them with a chain and not end up with strange gearing?

Or will I need a z drive to correct the rotation to the diff?

bigrich

posted on 25/11/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
You would end up doing about 40mph due to gear reduction on sprockets then the diff crown wheell and pinion. ether use a chain drive fabficated diff or a prop drive with engine at 90degrees as per the majority of BECs on here though a short prop or coupling could give you the rear mount enging you seem to require

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

olberj

posted on 25/11/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that.

A geared z drive would give the right effect though?

I'd like it mid mounted rather than rear (have the 964 for that), assuming the engine would be turning in the correct direction.

daniel mason

posted on 26/11/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
you would be running it the same as it is in a bike throuigh a chain drive like the radicals/jedis/etc! there are alternatives with the diffs

adithorp

posted on 26/11/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
It'd turn the right way. You'd need to use the same size sproket (rather than the bike rear size) or the gearing would be very low; You'd have reduction from the sprokets and the diff. I suppose you could very the size one tooth either way to get the best overall ratio.

The other way is to conect with a (very) short prop shaft. That's been done on the Fury Menace and one of the MEV's.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Slimy38

posted on 26/11/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Also don't forget that while the bike gearbox output shaft will be designed to run a chain (and therefore the output bearing is pretty chunky!), the diff will not like being pulled to the side. Although I don't know how much of an issue that actually is.
olberj

posted on 26/11/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so that could be made to work.

Next step, could I mount another sprocket to the diff just infront of or behind the 1st one and run a chain off that to a second bike engine? Via a slightly longer route to let it fit.

Somewhat of an H8 engine. The clutch in the gearboxes would allow the engines to "sync", I would just have to link exactly the clutch, gear change and accelerator?

Not fussed about sva etc, it wont be on the road.

adithorp

posted on 26/11/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Guess so but... If one 'box didn't change up when the other did, then the one in the higher gear can drive the other beyond it's rev limit and blow it up. Bike boxes don't always work how ther should and and wear or mis-adjustment in your links could cause it to happen. There's a video somewhere of Tiff Needell doing exactly that to a twin engined Dax (I think).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

olberj

posted on 26/11/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, i remember that car. Held the 0-60 record for a while IIRC.

Had a crazy shifter where you could change one ratio and not the other, never understood why they weren't hard linked.

olberj

posted on 26/11/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Flat shifts would be out but if used like a normal clutch, theoretically it should be possible.
Slimy38

posted on 26/11/13 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olberj
Yes, i remember that car. Held the 0-60 record for a while IIRC.

Had a crazy shifter where you could change one ratio and not the other, never understood why they weren't hard linked.

Because if it did ever get out of sync, you'd need to get them back together again. And the way sequential boxes work it's very easy for one push of the lever to shift one gear but not the other. It's not like a regular car H pattern where the lever position always controls which gear it's in.

Keep the levers physically together so they can be moved as one, but not hard link them.

ianm67

posted on 26/11/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
There's a video somewhere of Tiff Needell doing exactly that to a twin engined Dax (I think).

Tiger Z100.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qtfY0Ps74

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

olberj

posted on 26/11/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I get what you're saying, it could still work with each gearbox in a different gear but only within certain rev ranges/road speed.

Did the seven type car use the same setup of chain drives to a comon diff?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.