Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Worrying incident on roads this morning. Bikers please comment.
TimC

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Worrying incident on roads this morning. Bikers please comment.

Morning All,

I had an interesting incident this morning. I feel unusually unsettled by it.

A Focus, a Motorbike and myself (MX-5) accelerate relatively briskly off a roundabout - effectively in convoy formation.
The Ford at the head of the chain finds reason to slow and brakes - but not particularly hard. The bike also brakes but, watching all this unfold, I cover the brake, throttle right back and decide that breaking isn't necessary as within seconds the chain will stretch again. This brings me reasonably close to the bike, albeit nothing too unexpected in stop-start type traffic. At least that was my view. The rider half-turns and starts frantically waving at the back of his seat. Initially, I'm not sure what his issue is so back right off. I then spot that he has a GoPro or similar camera attached. Fine, I think, "Whatever." The Focus then has to slow right down and the biker slips past him on the outside lane then cutting in-front. As an aside, I'm sure that he must've passed the car at least as closely as I'd been to his rear. Anyway, we each take the second exit at the next roundabout and merge with the traffic on the adjoining motorway. I then overtake a couple of cars and the bike. Before I shift back to the inside-lane Mr Biker accelerates alongside as though undertaking. I don't feel the need to observe his inevitable gesticulating, so effectively ignore whatever he is doing, but remain very conscious that he is there. Eventually he drops back and I continue on my way. When he finally comes-past as I filter-left he is looking across and shaking his head.

Frankly, I think his response is ludicrous. Okay, so I'm trying to temper my view with the thought that he may have been rear-ended in the past, but really? So, presumably outraged by me apparently putting him in grave danger, he's seen fit to turn-around, wave about with one hand off the bars and then draw alongside another motorist on the inside lane.

Am I going nuts or something? It strikes me that he's implicitly assuming that he is the road-user with superior skills - apparently high enough skills that he can ignore what would surely be considered as sensible road use.

Are on-board cameras turning people into complete Road Warriors?

slingshot2000

posted on 27/11/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, he was a w@nker of the first order !
Driving/riding standards are dropping year by year !

Regards
Jon

owelly

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
You think he's a tit. He thinks you're a tit. Life's too short. Shrug, eat chocolate and get on with your day.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like another camera crusader to add to the countless on youtube. They can be invaluable, of course, but I'm sure some people get a buzz out of conflict and actively seek it. They often post up the vids with the car number plates in the vid title

edit: also what owelly said, but substitute the choc for a banana

[Edited on 27-11-2013 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You think he's a tit. He thinks you're a tit. Life's too short. Shrug, eat chocolate and get on with your day.

+1 its all about opinions & perceptions neither are usually based on fact......

Any comment would be based purely on speculation from hearing only one side of the story, and for anyone to try to comment one way or another would be stupid, but hey stupidity is an illness that cannot be reasoned with....

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Oddified

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I would have moved even closer to have a better look at what he was pointing too on his seat....only joking of course

There does seem to be a different mentality emerging when people have cameras fitted, and it's not for the better. I've seen a few 'odd' incidents and it's as if they're actively looking for some exiting footage.

Ian

TimC

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
All fair comments. I'm a lot calmer now.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not to worry you in any way, but I watched 4 different police motorcyclists go past me on my journey from Essex to Manchester the other week, all of whom had GoPro cameras attached to top of their helmets. I suppose this is only to mimic the in-car cameras they usually have, but does make you think a bit more!

[Edited on 27/11/13 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

iank

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect we'll end up like Russia where everyone has a camera on their car/motorbike/bike.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Jenko

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
As an ex biker, one of the most frustrating things I found was the sheer arrogance of other bikers. It was even reflected in the weekly mags. I would always read (readers letters) in amazement about how hard by done bikers were, and how Joe blogs was pulled by the cops for having an illegal exhaust…YES!...AND!.

Many bikers are fine, but the select few who seem to think they have some sort of ownership on the roads let the rest down….A good friend of mine at the time turned into a prize pr!ck everytime he put his lid on, shaking his head at anyone who dared to be in front of him….Sounds like you whitnessed one of those sort of kn0b heads today.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
As an ex biker, one of the most frustrating things I found was the sheer arrogance of other bikers. It was even reflected in the weekly mags. I would always read (readers letters) in amazement about how hard by done bikers were, and how Joe blogs was pulled by the cops for having an illegal exhaust…YES!...AND!.

Many bikers are fine, but the select few who seem to think they have some sort of ownership on the roads let the rest down….A good friend of mine at the time turned into a prize pr!ck everytime he put his lid on, shaking his head at anyone who dared to be in front of him….Sounds like you whitnessed one of those sort of kn0b heads today.

I'd agree with this. I actually stopped riding a year or two ago, but i always found there were two kinds of bikers. Those who pride themselves on their road craft, and took pleasure in exercising best practice etc, and the guys like you encountered today who seem to think as they have chosen to ride a bike rather than drive a car they are entitled to be treated differently on the road.

I see them everyday on the way to work, usually filtering at high speed, then complaining if someone changes lane and they have to brake hard.....

As said above though, life's to short. put the hood down and the aviators on.

r1_pete

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Forget it and move on, just a tosser.

Sounds like the car driver in fron was some sort of idiot too, I ride a bike and in a similar situation would have just put as much distance between me and the Focus as possible, not pissed about jesticulating.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
There are two reasons I quit biking after almost 40 years:

1) Sick and tired of idiots either on the phone, putting on make-up, or generally being w******s!

2) Bikers who see fit to further the love/hate relationship between cars and bikes

As already said, you would have to have been there to assess both sides of the story. I agree with the attitude of move on and put it down to another experience in the tapestry of life

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

blakep82

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I was overtaking a car on a dual carriageway, just out of a roundabout, in my 90bhp diesel (it was taking a little while, granted) a bike came up behing me at about 90mph sat right behind me flashing lights and waving hands. Did expect me to instantly pull into the side of the car I was overtaking? I finished what I was doing in my own time, indicated, checked my blindspot ;-) and slowly moved over, he went flying off well over 100mph with an illegal exhaust.

I see these think bike adverts, but I cant understand why I've got to look after people like that if they can't look out for themselves

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

designer

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Why would it bother you? Lifes too short, get on with it! It doesn't matter!
hkp57

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Being a biker also it does make you very aware in stop / go traffic of whats behind you (not justification)

But lets face it there is equal amount of twats on the road no matter what they drive, white van man, rep mobiles, kit car driver, biker, truck driver, middle lane man, police men. All with their own self importance.

My overall opinion of UK roads is very good, compare it to some of the places I have lived and worked over the last 6 years we have great standards.

Just be glad you don't drive in Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia, Angola and surprisingly the worst I have seen is the 610 ring road around Houston Texas where there is zero road sense and even less awareness of surroundings.

Get over it and move on.

Irony

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you should worry about what other road users think. Just make sure you are happy with your own driving awareness and ability.

Personally I think some bikers have a absolute death wish and give good bikers a bad name. I was on the A1 the other day and got stuck behind the tiresome lorry overtaking a lorry situation. A biker came screaming up from behind me and went between them

I have also been driving when a convoy of bikes need to get past a roundabout and the lead bike blocks the roundabout to let 50 bikes out. What gives them the right to hold me up?!?

swanny

posted on 27/11/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
what scares me more is the simmering level of aggression that these sorts of people seem to live with - they must do for it to be so close to the surface that its constantly spilling out on the road at the slightest provocation.

seen two examples in the last two days:

1. driving on dual carriageway one car being driven by a youngish girl is doing 60 ish in the outside lane half a mile from the roundabout she wants to turn right at. Car driven by a guy pulls right up behind her, lights flashing, wild gesticulation, eventually swerves violently, undercuts the car and swerves equally violently back in front of her, then slams on breaks and slows to 40. (i'm hanging well back watching this unfold)

eventually we reach roundabout cars all stop, guy gets out of his car to (well god knows what he was going to do) luckily light s change and she drives off.

he follows, does the same violent swerving and violent braking for half a mile and eventually turns off.

2. riding my bicycle home there are 5-6 of us approaching a bike/pedestrian crossing. slow moving traffic everywhere. lights change to green for us and we start across. car seemingly doesnt see the lights has to do some sharpish braking, doesnt get so far as onto the crossing, no tyre squeal etc, most of us notice, are concerned then carry on with our lives.

one cyclist stops on the centre of the road and "screams" and i mean screams at the driver "what the F are you doing...." then follows up with "dont you smile at me...."

really? nutters the pair of them. scary. what are they like in the rest of their life when something bad actually happens?
scary

BenB

posted on 27/11/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Number 2 wasn't me but I would have done the same had it been me. Sorry, just don't buy the "didn't see the lights". There's a crossing near us renound for people driving through it. I regularly have to walk across it whilst pushing my daughter in her pram- I'm fed up with people "not seeing the lights" and almost killing me or my sprog. If they're blind they shouldn't be driving...
swanny

posted on 27/11/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
There's a crossing near us renound for people driving through it. ...

i'd have thought thats something to be publicly challenging the local authority on. once you've raised it, they'd surely want to investigate why its more prevalent there than i other places.

not doing anything once you've raised it might leave them open to serious grief should anything really unfortunate happen.

it suggests that it isnt chance, that there is something wrong with the layout/excessive signage/other distractions causing it.

jossey

posted on 27/11/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
If at any point you get within the safe stopping distance then you are driving is failing below the required standard.

So if you get close to him the letter of the law states you CAN be done for driving without due care... Etc

That said in traffic it means a lot of people would get done.

That biker may have had a close call that day or something.

Human psychology is a weird one.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

02GF74

posted on 28/11/13 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself onto two wheels then you will see first hand how vulnerable they feel. Clearly the biker felt you were to close and ranted about it. Had you hit hom you would get a dent in you binnet wheras he could have been seriously injured.

Sure he may have overreacted but the next time you are behind a oad user on two whhels you wilk be aware of how close you are.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.