Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto 2l HC, which fuel pump?
w.olly

posted on 4/12/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto 2l HC, which fuel pump?

Hi all, i have just got my new to me kit car, it has a pinto high compression engine fitted along with high lift cam a vernier pully along with a 4into1 exhaust, so i am guessing it has got a bit of oomph, i was told around 150bhp.

Now i need to replace the fuel pump, the original mechanical one has packed in, so do think i will be ok to replace with the same original mechanical type or better to go with a electric fuel pump of somesort?

any advice welcome please

wolly

snapper

posted on 4/12/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
The manual pump is good for 150bhp but most fit an electric lift pump near the tank to a swirl pot then a bigger pump to a fuel pressure regulator near the carbs
If you take off the manual pump you need to pull out the actuating rod and cover the hole with a blanking phate

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Paul Turner

posted on 4/12/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
but most fit an electric lift pump near the tank to a swirl pot then a bigger pump to a fuel pressure regulator near the carbs

You do not need a swirl pot with carbs, only with injection. carbs have a float chamber which does pretty much the same job.

With regards to fuel pumps I have been using a Facet Red top now since 2002 and a Facet Silvertop for 10 years before that. Only changed when my BHP went over 170. They are very reliable (regardless of what you read on forums - remember that you only read about the odd one that fails, no one posts to say their fuel pump is fine)) and they have one huge advantage over mechanical pumps, they improve your starting especially from cold.

As said above you will need a regulator near the carbs since the carbs float needles don't like much over 3 psi.

westf27

posted on 4/12/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a new pump if you decide to fit that

steve

w.olly

posted on 4/12/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
I have a new pump if you decide to fit that

steve

what pump and how much mate with delivery.

So it is possible that my engine can have the near 160bhp as the seller stated

snapper

posted on 5/12/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You do not need a swirl pot with carbs, only with injection. carbs have a float chamber which does pretty much the same job.

I have carbs and had fuel starvation exiting roundabouts and sweeping corners that's why I fitted swirl pot

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Paul Turner

posted on 5/12/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I have carbs and had fuel starvation exiting roundabouts and sweeping corners that's why I fitted swirl pot

I ran carbs on the hills and track from 1989 to 2004. Never had a swirl pot, never had fuel starvation and most of the time I ran very sticky slicks. No one I know with carbs ever ran a swirl pot.

There was obviously a problem with your carbs, probably the float height.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.