Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Choice... Enter RX8
scootz

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Choice... Enter RX8

Aaaaargh... why can't I just be normal!?

Where I'm at...

I have a Quantum Xtreme in my garage with a good Type 9, but it needs an engine.

I have two perfectly good options sat next to the car - the first is a freshly rebuild, good-as-new XE with alloy belhousing to suit. Will need to fabricate mounts, get clutch / flywheel, injectors, exhaust, ECU to suit and dyno time, so still a bit of money to be spent on that option. Option 2 is a low mileage 2005 MX5 engine with 5-speed box. Would need pretty much the same as the XE, less the clutch / flywheel, but plus a prop.

So why the hell am I itching to fit an RX8 lump and 6-speed box???

I know these engines are notoriously fragile, but I envision buying a reasonable running lump, and a non-runner for pulling apart, learning from and hopefuly rebuilding. The plan would be to work on the non-runner and then swap them over as and when required. And repeat if necessary...

The sale of my other bits would more than cover the cost of the RX8 bits (including spare) and put a wee bit in my pocket for starting collecting engine rebuild parts. The costs to get it running would be in-line with either of the XE or MX5 options (mounts, ECU, exhaust, ECU, dyno time)... possibly a little less though as I wouldn't be fiddling with the RX8 inlet, so could sell my 45's and put the cash towards the costs.

I also know that the MPG is poor at 20-ish, but it's a toy car... and I'm worth it!

The way I see it is that the RX8 components can be got cheap (for obvious reasons), the drivetrain is almost 50 kgs lighter than the XE's, it almost revs like a BEC, spits out 230 bhp, and the 6-speed box is a pearler. And above all else, it's a wee bit different

It's that last bit that gets me into trouble so often though... the urge to do something completely (or in this case slightly ) left-field.

Stupid direction... and if so, someone please talk some sense into me!

[Edited on 6/12/13 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
so what happened to this being the car you'd actually drive ?

just stick the XE in it - its not like you've not got other projects

[Edited on 6/12/2013 by mcerd1]

-

femster87

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just sat here laughing. You are just like me Scotty ( alright since your the older one am just like you) I started to fix exhaust on my smart roadster today and decided I will carry on stripping it for a new engine. Just small problem of finding a replacement over the weekend.

I must say you do make me laugh though. I have also lost hope with the carbon tub project. Any takers??

Wheels244

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sell the XE to me for a spare and stick a rebuilt RX8 in
Jon Ison

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Why do we need to talk sense into you, your talking sense already, in your position I too would go the RX8 route, I have said for years now next build rotary engine practical or not, that's what I want, this goes back to my autograss days running a Mazda turbo nutter rotary in the rear end of a special.

Do it.

r1_pete

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I do fancy putting a conventional engine in an RX8, maybe we could split a car between us
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote

Some interesting reading there! Keep it coming!

It's Evolution Baby!

zilspeed

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Scott

Look up Peter Locke on FB.

He's local and has run an RX8 in sprints and hills for years.

He's also very knowledgeable about the Mazda rotary.

scootz

posted on 6/12/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Zil.

The more I think about it, the more that an RX8 seems reasonably sensible. Certainly mo less sensible than a car with a bike engine in it.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 6/12/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Xe... if anyones interested!

It's Evolution Baby!

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/12/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
+1; we don't do this because other people see sense in different ways

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Why do we need to talk sense into you, your talking sense already, in your position I too would go the RX8 route, I have said for years now next build rotary engine practical or not, that's what I want, this goes back to my autograss days running a Mazda turbo nutter rotary in the rear end of a special.

Do it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

pewe

posted on 6/12/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
There was an RX engined Se7en at Motorsport Events track-day at Keevil on Nov.16th.
IIRC reg was Q ... EAN or similar as it's close to my F27's reg.
Current owner hadn't built it but he reckoned it was exciting to drive and it sounded fricking awesome.
Maybe worth trawling through Faceache or youtube for pics?
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

tomprescott

posted on 6/12/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Go for the rx8, they seem to be going for peanuts at the moment and you could probably sell the rest of a complete car to get the engine and box for free.

I must admit that the Wankel story is a good one, described as an aloof engineer who considered himself the third in a line of automotive legends (the other two being Otto and Diesel)! That said, the wankel engine looks like a great option for a kit, almost into BEC territory with regards to being light and revvy but without the headaches of expensive gearboxes and reversing gubbins.

A bird in the hand....

The Black Flash

posted on 6/12/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
The rotary has always seemed like a very sensible choice for a lightweight fun car to me. Do it
waggy

posted on 6/12/13 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it!!! An rx-8 engine won't work at all well in a 7.
There are massive hurdles to overcome, not least the fact that when you think all is going well you blow up your engine for not having enough back pressure in the exhaust!
Do a little search on rx-8 in a seven and you'll find several threads where it's been done..... And then undone!

I'm not trying to say you can't do it, just ensure you are armed with all the information before you sell what looks like a well prepared, well suited engine.

mookaloid

posted on 6/12/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
You could buy my spare Saab 2.3 Turbo engine off me and use that

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

sdh2903

posted on 6/12/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fit the XE, it looks lovely.
waggy

posted on 6/12/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
Go for the rx8, they seem to be going for peanuts at the moment and you could probably sell the rest of a complete car to get the engine and box for free.

I must admit that the Wankel story is a good one, described as an aloof engineer who considered himself the third in a line of automotive legends (the other two being Otto and Diesel)! That said, the wankel engine looks like a great option for a kit, almost into BEC territory with regards to being light and revvy but without the headaches of expensive gearboxes and reversing gubbins.

If you buy an rx-8 to remove the engine and box you will be left with a virtually worthless lawn ornament! The engines are the only thing on these cars that break!! If he does decide to go down this route and put the Rex engine in the best thing to do would be source a loom elsewhere and retro fit some other engine into the rx-8! With a Nissan engine fitted they are a much more drivable, user friendly vehicle.

Despite the fact I don't think it'll work in a 7 for various reasons, all the flooding and starting issues would put me off.

Ps. All this info is coming from me...... an rx-8 owner!!!!

waggy

posted on 6/12/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a thread to have a read at before you start.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/101235-need-a-valuation-on-my-se/

Jon Ison

posted on 6/12/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waggy
There are massive hurdles to overcome, not least the fact that when you think all is going well you blow up your engine for not having enough back pressure in the exhaust!
Do a little search on rx-8 in a seven and you'll find several threads where it's been done..... And then undone!

I'm not trying to say you can't do it, just ensure you are armed with all the information before you sell what looks like a well prepared, well suited engine.

That's what turbos are for.

Canada EH!

posted on 6/12/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
There was a RX 7 powered Locost here in Ontario running in Solo, nobody could beat him for two years in including Formula fords. The only way that stopped him was he sold the car.

My son has an RX 8 with 160,000 km and yes it has had a new engine supplied by Mazda at 130,000 km.

It does burn fuel, on a trip last summer with a friend driving a Corvette Z06 they both got about the same gas mileage.

I have driven his RX 8 and another for a few hundred miles as I picked them up new from dealers a long way away.

The real trick to RX 8 engine long life is to break them in slowly with much respect, nothing over 4000 rpm for 1000 km, this is very hard for most people when dealing with a performance car, the reason I was sent to get them and not two 20 somethings.

They also like a little 2 stroke oil in the gas once in awhile.

NigeEss

posted on 6/12/13 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waggy

Ah, the old "engines need back pressure" myth rears it's head again.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

chrism

posted on 6/12/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Arent they quite a wide engine aswell for a locost, due to them being quite a low block height the intake and exhaust both come out of the steering side of the engine quite low down compared to other engines and will probably get in the way of the steering column/extension so that will need rerouting if possible either further to the side or over the top.

[Edited on 6/12/13 by chrism]

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

rdodger

posted on 6/12/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
My vote is for RX8 because.....

231 BHP Standard
Light weight
6 speed box with decent ratios
Low centre of gravity
A rebuild is less than tuning another engine to over 200bhp
9000 rpm!
Awesome sound!

It appears RX8 engines start to fail at 60,000 mostly due to poor maintenance. ie not keeping an eye on the oil level.

So in the average kit the engine would last 20 years!
Most owners of a kit lift the bonnet every time they drive the car, 4 times on a track day! No problem with topping up the oil then.

Do it, then tell me how you did it

D Beddows

posted on 6/12/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why not? because you'll spend a load of money and never finish it as another amazing idea will come along before you do

That's actually not a reason not to do it btw - I've just seen you not finish soooooo many things that were a good idea

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.